iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Scotland.

Started by Silverfoxfintry, September 25, 2018, 08:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfoxfintry

Good morning all.
This is a quick message to introduce myself to your forum.
I found your site while searching for information on a "Forrester Jacko" 
bandsaw mill my Son David has just purchased.
It is all working, but, a lot of the wiring and the Blade clutch are in poor condition.
I am a retired Engineer and if I can get the instruction manual and wiring diagrams I am confident I can restore it to full working order.
If anyone has one of these I will be interested to talk to them.
Also any help with manuals/ wiring diagrams will be much appreciated.
We started milling the hard way with an Chain Saw mill about 4 years ago.
But, even with a double ended bar and Two Husqvarna 295xp saws it's very hard work. The Jacko will let us take things to a new level
With the Alaskan we have milled Oak, Elm, Ash, Silver Birch, Yew, Beach and Douglas Fir.
Regards
Silverfox.

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome to the forum Silverfoxfintry.
I don't have information on your particular mill but I'm hoping someone here does.
Even if we don't you can break it down to individual problems I'm sure we can help.

By the way, I had no idea that you had those types of trees in scotland.
I'm looking forward to your future posts and please do learn how to post pictures here.
It is a little involved but very much worth the effort.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF , I'm sure someone will come along that will be able to help
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, drag up a stump and sit a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

There is a another posting here from 2010 called "forester jacko sawmill"
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

samandothers

Welcome to the discussions!  I hope you get your answer soon.

submarinesailor

Welcome to the forum.

Spend a little time in Scotland way back in spring of 1977.  Holy Loch/Dunoon to be exact.

Bruce

Silverfoxfintry

Hi Bruce.
I know the Holy Loch well. The depot ship was the Canopas?
I had frends with a house in Sandbank.
I used to shoot with the marines up at Dechmont range.
You wouldn't recognise the place now. It's a bit run down and depressing.
Take care.
Iain.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Silverfoxfintry!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Silver Fox,

Welcome to the FF. I never visited Scotland yet but would love to do so. I did work with a number of Scots in various overseas assignments including one lady, Adele Green, and I met her parents who looked like my tribe so we speculated we were related. There is a good chance as my ancestors left that part of the world (At night and ahead of a posse if I remember correctly). I have fond memories of all the Scots I worked with although I can't honestly remember ever understanding any of them until they repeated something the 2nd or 3rd time so if you come visit bring a translator. :D We are looking for lots of pictures.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Welcome Silverfox. You will find a few folks with scottish ancestry here on the forestry forum. My ancestors came from Dumfries on the west coast. Involved in the early tobacco business, so there was likely some legal and tax problems. Packed up and fled to Virginia about 1650.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Silverfoxfintry

Well, I must thank you all for your welcome.
I have made progress with the Jacko Mill. Found another working only 10 miles away and tracked down a manual.
I have had to replace bearings and rollers on the cutting head and the mill has cut some quite good boards in Cedar,( very easy) and Oak (harder).
The mill is a single post design and even with all the rollers and bearings in good order, with the running clearances at a minimum it still wobbles a bit.
My Son wants to convert it to a Two post design to help control head movement.
Have anyone any experience of Two post Mills?
On another topic. I was out "hunting" or Stalking as we call it in Scotland on the 19th. After about 6 hours of inactivity, no roaring, no Hinds, no nothing! A Stag roared in the Forest a few hundred Yards to the West of me.
I just had time to get my .270w up on the sticks when a 14point Red Stag stepped out of the Trees.
He stopped and roared again in the middle of the Ride about 85yds from me. As he started to move off I took the shot. He staggered, walked 10yds and went down.
Followed a 600yd drag back to the road.
I will post a picture when I work out how to.

Don P

Congrats on the mill and stag... figure out the pic posting, these I want to see :)

Greyhound

Welcome aboard! Glad ya found us.  Good luck with the mill.  I know nothing about it.  On another note, I got to spend a week in Edinburgh last month or work.  It was a great time.

Greyhound

Quote from: Silverfoxfintry on October 28, 2018, 06:49:04 PM
Well, I must thank you all for your welcome.
I have made progress with the Jacko Mill. Found another working only 10 miles away and tracked down a manual.
I have had to replace bearings and rollers on the cutting head and the mill has cut some quite good boards in Cedar,( very easy) and Oak (harder).
The mill is a single post design and even with all the rollers and bearings in good order, with the running clearances at a minimum it still wobbles a bit.
My Son wants to convert it to a Two post design to help control head movement.
Have anyone any experience of Two post Mills?
On another topic. I was out "hunting" or Stalking as we call it in Scotland on the 19th. After about 6 hours of inactivity, no roaring, no Hinds, no nothing! A Stag roared in the Forest a few hundred Yards to the West of me.
I just had time to get my .270w up on the sticks when a 14point Red Stag stepped out of the Trees.
He stopped and roared again in the middle of the Ride about 85yds from me. As he started to move off I took the shot. He staggered, walked 10yds and went down.
Followed a 600yd drag back to the road.
I will post a picture when I work out how to.
Great job on the stag!  It's archery deer hunting season here in Pennsylvania.  Has a nice  buck at 30 yds but he was facing straight at me an behind some branches.  Wind swirled and he caught my sent. That's the closest I've gotten so far.

Silverfoxfintry

Hunting ANYTHING even a Rat with a Bow is banned in GB. A small clause slipped in to a large Bill back in the 1970s. However, poachers use cross bows. Often leaving wounded Deer to die in agony.
I visited Pensilvania a few years ago and while there I visited a Bow hunting shop. I was a bit taken aback by the Range setup. Stuffed targets with Bulls Eyes set up. Often far to far back. A shot in that area will result in a slow, lingering death. I may have been unfortunate in my choice of shop. I do hope so.
On another topic. My Son David obtained a  SMALL Redwood, only about 60' tall. It is 6' in diameter at the base. Far to big for the Forrester mill. So it will have to be trimmed with the Alaskan mill to fit.
I will post pictures when I can convert them from PDF.
By the way, it is getting cold now. How do you stop your water spray freezing on the bandsaw?

btulloh

Windshield washer fluid about 50/50 with water works here in my climate.  Adjust the ratio to suit your temps.

Looking forward to seeing that redwood when you get it posted.
HM126

Hilltop366

Greyhound

Bow hunting is part of american life.  I only use guns for birds.  It takes a whole lot of work and discipline to get within 25 yds of a deer and make an ethical, humane kill.  In the end ethical hunting is more about the hunter than the weapon.  Don't let the 3D target ranges give you the wrong impression.  Those are not really meant to represent real hunting situations, just a way to make target shooting a little more interesting than standard FITA targets.  Many world champion and olympic archers from the US started with bow hunting and still participate.  

WV Sawmiller

I don't know that I have ever taken a shot at a deer over 22 yards with my bow. I have shot several that never knew they were shot. They would run 30-40 yards and stop and look back with "What was that?" look on their face then suddenly start to wobble and fall over dead. No ethical sports man wants an animal to suffer.

Congrats on the Stag. I gather they are very big sort of like the size of one our elk. 

I was talking to a Norwegian friend one time and he kept talking about deer and showing me a head that looked like one of our elk then he'd talk about an elk so we got a local hunting magazine and he showed me. What he was calling an elk is a moose to us so a Norwegian Elkhound was actually bred as a moosehunting dog. They use them to chase the moose out of the brush like we used to hunt deer with dogs down south.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Vender

Quote from: Silverfoxfintry on September 25, 2018, 02:18:53 PM
Hi Bruce.
I know the Holy Loch well. The depot ship was the Canopas?
I had frends with a house in Sandbank.
I used to shoot with the marines up at Dechmont range.
You wouldn't recognise the place now. It's a bit run down and depressing.
Take care.
Iain.
Come to Michigan and you will see run down. Don't believe the Scot, Scotland is beautiful. Well I just got back. Went to the isle of skye. Amazing. Stayed at Dundass castle. I always get a laugh when we go overseas and the locals think areas are run down. Welcome and I can't wait to get back to Scotland. 

Silverfoxfintry

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 01, 2018, 08:32:07 PM
    I don't know that I have ever taken a shot at a deer over 22 yards with my bow. I have shot several that never knew they were shot. They would run 30-40 yards and stop and look back with "What was that?" look on their face then suddenly start to wobble and fall over dead. No ethical sports man wants an animal to suffer.

Congrats on the Stag. I gather they are very big sort of like the size of one our elk.

I was talking to a Norwegian friend one time and he kept talking about deer and showing me a head that looked like one of our elk then he'd talk about an elk so we got a local hunting magazine and he showed me. What he was calling an elk is a moose to us so a Norwegian Elkhound was actually bred as a moosehunting dog. They use them to chase the moose out of the brush like we used to hunt deer with dogs down south.

In practice there are Two types.  "Highland" and "lowland" . Due to better feeding, Lowland Stags tend to be larger. Last winter was very hard on Deer in some areas of Scotland. One estate manager told me that they were unable to access any of their back country for Four to Five weeks due to the depth of Snow.
In the Spring nearly every valley had dead Deer. I was up north in May and the Deer were still in very poor condition. In my area the smaller "Roe Deer" numbers crashed. However, we had a hot dry Summer and as Roe usually have twins numbers will recover.

Silverfoxfintry

Finally worked out how to add pictures.
 P

btulloh

Nice.  How old is he?  He looks pretty mature.  I don't know my stags, but that looks like a good one.

I hear it's easier to get a suppressor than a gun over there.  Suppressors have become popular here, but there's a lot of paperwork and they're pricey since they're not produced in large quantities.  It is worth the time and expense to use them though.  A suppressor makes shooting a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks for posting the picture.

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!