iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood master boiler repair

Started by Rob30, October 03, 2018, 12:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Hello All;
I have  WOOD MASTER boiler that developed some leaks. All of the leaks are around the rectangular heat exchange tubes. The first leak is right on the edge of the tube, looks like one edge of the tube is disintegrated. I am in the process of welding the edge now. However I am debating on welding a piece of stainless angle iron along the edge.
The other leaks are right at the top corner of the heat exchange tube, there they meet the tank wall. It is very hard to weld, even harder to clean before welding.
Has anyone cut these tubes right out? I am thinking the easiest solution is to cut them out and weld plates over the holes. The other option is to make news cross tubes out of some stainless exhaust pipe and weld them in.
Any suggestions?

jerry sundberg

It will most likely be a constant problem with welds due to corrosion and constant expansion and contraction. Using two dissimilar metals can cause problems too.
Farmall  man

E Yoder

You could cut the cross tubes completely out and weld a plate across.
Sometimes you have to cut a hole in the top and come in from the water jacket side to weld the ends of the tubes.
But as was mentioned you'll likely be chasing holes again.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!