iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which is stronger?

Started by PAmizerman, October 11, 2018, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

Is a 2x12 or a 3x10 stronger as a rafter?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How long of a span?
I would say the 2x12
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I am sure that someone will speak up that has the formula, but personally I would spike together two factory 2X10's (3") to take advantage of the changing grain patterns/slopes.  Whatever I used whether 10's or a 12" they would be grade sawn "jacket" boards.

"Magic has a Brand New Sticker" but he has been busy getting ready for Colorado and has not had time to install it yet.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CabinCreations

Based on the second moment of area (moment of inertia), the 2x12 would be a stiffer rafter.

For future reference, the most simple way to compare beam strength is to use the equation b*h^3/12 - where b = the thickness of the beam/rafter and h = the height of the beam/rafter.
2011 LT35HD

PAmizerman

20' span 
Thinking 2' centers and a 5/12 pitch with steel roofing
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

I'm gonna price trusses tomorrow. It may be cheaper
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Magicman

I figured that the formula would disprove my notion but as mentioned, trusses trump single stick construction.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Don't forget the proper order of operations (example below):
2x12

2 =b
12=h

I = b*h^3/12
=(2*12^3)/12
=(2*12*12*12)/12
=(3456)/12
=288
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Greyman

Actually the correct comparison is the section modulus: S = MOI / c, where c is the distance from the centroid to the edge and MOI = bh^3/12 as noted above.

2x12:  S = (2 x 12^3 / 12) / 6 = 48

3x10:  S = (3 x 10^3 / 12) / 5 = 50

Therefore the 3x10 is slightly stronger.  The stress due to bending is f = M / S

Being an aerospace structural engineer comes in handy once in a while...  lol

Don P

Which is "stronger" is an interesting question. Often it isn't strength that controls but deflection, stiffness. We do allow twice the deflection in a roof member as compared to a floor.

CabinCreations and Brad are describing stiffness where Greyman is describing bending strength. Both are answers to the question.
What Magicman was saying is also correct, you get a 15% bending strength increase by nailing 2 or more pieces together because of distribution of defects, deflection doesn't change.  

Thank You Sponsors!