iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shank size

Started by kmdfarm, October 12, 2018, 01:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmdfarm

just bought a belsaw m14 has a standard 40 in blade but is missing a tooth need to know what to getas there are so many options what size do i get?

Ron Wenrich

Look at another shank on the saw.  It should have the style and gauge stamped on it.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

charles mann

Is measuring the diameter of the shank or the shank hole in the blade not an option? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

moodnacreek

That would be the hardest way. Search on line and find a shank chart and compare. The B and F look the same but the B is larger. The B and F have a notch. The 2 1/2 is small, no notch and 1 hole. The 3 is like the 2 1/2 but has 2 holes. It is rare to find shanks that are not marked.

moodnacreek

Also you need to know the gage of saw [at the rim].  Probably a 9 or 8 ga.  The saw may be stamped somewhere as to the tooth count, style [B ?] and rpm it was hammered for, say 600 rpm. Also to confuse things more it may have a serial number.

kmdfarm

went up and looked at saw today all it says on shanks is canada did find what looks like a B on the back side of one so no closer to the answer! has slot for 24teeth

bandmiller2

Most of the Belsaw 40" inserted tooth saws used Simonds "B" shanks and bits. Look up Simonds web site, If I recall they showed shanks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

I could almost bet that saw is a B-9  24 tooth, 600 rpm.

kmdfarm

am wondering if it would be ok to run the mill missing the 1 tooth or should i wait till i get one getting impatience!!

moodnacreek

You could try it but any real sawing would be bad for the shoulder and the saw is a little out of balance. Of course the shanks hold the tooth in but they protect the gullet and add tension to the rim. Like frank said;Simonds shows the 4 shanks on line as do others that sell sawmill supplies.

Thank You Sponsors!