iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging a 5 acre treed lot in Sunshine Coast

Started by fromrichmond, November 13, 2018, 06:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromrichmond

Hello this is my first day on this forum so forgive me if this question has already been answered previously - any pointers for educating myself would be appreciated.

I am helping a friend who owns a 5 acre treed lot by the Langdale ferry terminal on Sunshine Coast.  He has been approached by a contractor who has offered to log the property in return for $, on condition that the owner applies for the tree removal permits.   The question is how best to proceed from here?

My research so far has turned up that his property is within the jurisdiction of the SCRD (Regional District) and their Bylaw No. 350 would apply.  I have phoned the district to get info on permit costs, requirements and timing but no returned phone calls yet.

As for how to proceed, it seems to me that accepting an unsolicited offer isn't the best way of getting top value for the trees which are on the property.  Also, I'm concerned that the contractor will just take the good trees and leave the rest behind.  Ultimately this land is well suited for residential development.  So what would be the best next step?  Hire a professional forester, or is this size property not worth the time and expense? 

Thanks for any thoughts and advice that you can share.

Texas Ranger

not familiar with your part of the world,, but this type of deal in the states would raise red flags. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Greyman

I don't know anything about it, but my first thought is that the permit-holder probably would be the one liable for everything the contractor does, or doesn't do.  I would tell the district person the situation and get their take on it, I'm sure they've seen that before.

maple flats

There are not many loggers who would take such a small job, but first have the owner hire an independent forester to determine if logging is suggested and if yes, have him mark the trees and write up the harvest specs. Then the forester will have a list of possible loggers. Then get bids and have the forester manage the project. The forester will know who should get the permit. It may cost to get it logged unless in that little area there are some real good trees, but the money will be made when the property is split into building lots. Also be aware of sub division laws and what they will cost.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

brianJ

Find an excavation company to clear cut and remove stumps.    Have them put anything making a decent log into a pile.   Once you have a pile call at least two buyers.   Sell to highest bidder.      

Probably worth the money to hire a logger to drop the trees then cut out the logs.

Your profit is made by subdividing.   The logs maybe pay for the land clearing or get you close

Grizzly

Association of BC Forest Professionals

I wonder if this is a good place to start for the forester part? But I'd sure be talking with a developer to be certain i didn't ruin the property for best presentation. They often want properties presented a particular way for best development potential. Complete removal of trees could discount value beyond what the value of the trees are? I'm no pro so I'm only adding my coffee row discussion.

2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Stuart Caruk

I'd wander over to Molly's reach and see if Nick or Relic are around for advise....

(the comment makes more sense if you've ever watch ed the Beachcombers and realize that show was filmed right near this location)
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

snowstorm

i was on the sunshine coast a couple months ago. with the size of the wood that grows there 5 ac could produce a lot. the biggest skidder i have ever seen was at waugh lake. a letourneau diesel electric. the choker cable was 1" in dia. since the only way to get to the sunshine coast is by ferry. do the logs come by ferry or barge?

Thank You Sponsors!