iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 461 vs husqvarna 576 XP

Started by Patrick I, January 02, 2019, 02:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick I

Which of these saws do you prefer?  I need a new saw and would like opinions.  Don't care which one will "out cut" the other one.  I want to know which one is better quality and most important which one is doing the best 10 years later.  Don't care about price difference.  What I am using it for is also irrelevant to the question.

lxskllr

I prefer Stihl cause my first good saw was Stihl, and I stick with what I know. Not a great reason, but that's my reason none the less. My saw choice to save money is echo, cause, wait for it... My first good cheap saw was an echo  :^D

I think you'd do fine with either saw though. There's an element of luck with any machine. Companies with good reputations sometimes put out flawed products. That's the way mass production goes. If the store wasn't closed when I went to buy a good saw, I might be preferring Husqvarna today.

olcowhand

Welcome to the Forum, Patrick I.
I haven't compared them, because I'm an un- ashamed Stihl Guy. I also am not a Full Time Logger, so take my comments with a grain. I've run a MS 461 for over two years, now. I have had no problems with it, and I've probably put 50 tanks of fuel through it, and I love that saw. It has no problem with the 20" Bar buried in Hardwood, just Rooster- tailing chips out to 20'- 25'- and asking for more (but that's irrelevant to your question.....). I have no regrets with this saw for the money.
You'll hear from other guys who have run this saw more, so I'll leave it up to them. You'll also hear from the Husky guys who have run the 576XPs, and will have good opinions of them.
Good luck with your decision.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ehp

461 in my books is a better built saw

ehp

HolmenTree

I really like the 576 Auto tune but the MS461 is a newer better design.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Patrick I

Thank yall, I got the 461, she run like a scalded dawg.  

Patrick I

I'm sorry "dog" for all you boys up north. 

Rebarb

Everyone knows Stihl makes a formidable saw as I've owned both over a long period. 
XP's outcut everything of similar CC in my experience.....no porting required. 

BUT you won't go wrong with 461.

olcowhand

Quote from: Patrick I on January 19, 2019, 03:12:53 PM
I'm sorry "dog" for all you boys up north.
I'm up north, and I know how to sound out words......
I'm glad you got the MS 461; I think you'll like it.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

hedgerow

Quote from: Patrick I on January 19, 2019, 03:11:09 PM
Thank yall, I got the 461, she run like a scalded dawg.  
I have run one for just about five years we cut 15 to 20 cord of hard wood a year with it. I have had zero issues with it. Its my go to saw. 

Gary Davis

I have the stil 036,038 mag and 460 love all of them because the always work , but hardly any one sells huskys around here pick what you can get the best selection and service

Inaotherlife

I prefer an old 372xp because it's lightweight for a 70cc saw....and mostly because I got one in great running condition for a great price.
But I wouldn't mind slummin a Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!