iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ISO GOL 3 Class, SE New York

Started by Old Greenhorn, January 02, 2019, 07:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

I am just putting it out there in case somebody knows, I ma looking for a GOL level 3 class, preferably in the spring in the southeast corner of New York (Ulster, Greene, Delaware, Colombia, Duchess counties, etc). These are hard to find. I can tell others that the Catskill Forest association, has released it's calendar today of classes. It can be found here: Upcoming Events ? Catskill Forest Association but they have nothing for me. This was supposed to be the year, now they say 'next year'. Yeah.
Thanks for any leads.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Listed in order of how well I know the training organization:

If you are willing to drive, check out Northeast Woodland Training's calendar page. They have the GOL franchise for VT and NH. They have a top-notch reputation. Most of their courses are offered in VT. Currently, the only GOL 3 class on the calendar is just a few miles from me, in Bristol, VT - probably about 4 hours from you, depending on where in the Catskills you are. They do offer some in southern VT from time to time, but nothing much on the calendar now. I've been through GOL 1, 2, 3, & 4 with them, as well as their Storm Damage Cleanup. Every one of them was very well done. Something to check if you are interested in GOL 3: at least one of the organizations that sponsors the classes sometimes mistakenly refer to the Storm Damage Clean class as GOL 3 (both SD and 3 have GOL 1 & 2 as prerequisites). They are not the same thing. I found both of them worthwhile, but if I had to choose only one, I'd take GOL 3.

Bill Lindloff's Pro Cuts (blprocuts@aol.com) is based in Endicott, NY, but travels around the state teaching. He also has a very good reputation (but I've never personally been in one of his classes). If you could come up with enough interested participants (who have been through GOL 1 & 2), he will come to you to teach a GOL 3 class. He did a class for one of the Forestry Forum members in western NY not too long ago.

Bill Girard of Girard Custom Cut Hardwood in Lanesboro, MA (western MA) also teaches GOL. I'm not sure how active he is with this. I've exchanged emails with him when my brother was looking for a class, but don't know much about him. I do know he does put on some classes in Western MA.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

I have heard very good things about the classes in VT and have a friend who has taken them all. But it means at least one overnight for me and a 5 hour drive home after. Too much for an old guy. I do know Bill, taken 2 classes with him already and I have an email into now about dates. Great instructor, but very busy. I think his year is already full and I can't sponsor a level 3 class myself, you need too many people with level 2 and I don't have those contacts. I did find a class, but it is out in October and I was looking for something sooner. Guess I will just have to wait. It's just frustrating.
Thanks for the suggestions, all good stuff.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 04, 2019, 06:31:28 PM
I have heard very good things about the classes in VT and have a friend who has taken them all. But it means at least one overnight for me and a 5 hour drive home after. Too much for an old guy. I do know Bill, taken 2 classes with him already and I have an email into now about dates. Great instructor, but very busy. I think his year is already full and I can't sponsor a level 3 class myself, you need too many people with level 2 and I don't have those contacts. I did find a class, but it is out in October and I was looking for something sooner. Guess I will just have to wait. It's just frustrating.
Thanks for the suggestions, all good stuff.
I figured the drive to VT was more than you would want to deal with, but thought I'd mention it - you never know... maybe you've got an old friend up this way you've been meaning to visit.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Well I appreciate it. Maybe during the year somebody will see a class and remember this thread and come back and tell me about it. I do have family in VT that I love to visit, but they are at the bottom end of the state. Maybe I should cultivate friends further north. :)

John Mc

Northeast Woodland Training does offer the classes in the Southern part of Vermont, they just don't have any GOL 3's down there on their calendar yet.

The location of the GOL 3 they have scheduled on April 25 is about 2 hours from Bennington, VT (maybe 2.5 hours from Brattleboro). Still a drive, but a lot more do-able. I've confirmed with them that it's a GOL 3, not a Storm Damage Clean-up class.

Old Greenhorn

Thanks for checking into that. I would also like to take the storm damage class. I  have no interest in level 4 though. 2.5 hours is still a long drive for an old guy to make after a full day in the woods, plus getting up at 3am to make the drive up. I'll wait for the one here in October, at least that's just a little over an hour drive, because it's "local". They don't make it easy. I have an email into Bill Lindloff to see what level 3's he has on his schedule and where they are.

moodnacreek

Old Greenhorn

Game Of Logging, chainsaw and falling instruction.

John Mc

moodnacreek

enigmaT120

Great.  Why don't they come to Oregon?  No loggers here?  Maybe nobody here needs what they teach?  

I guess I can keep learning on my own trees as they grow bigger.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Old Greenhorn

I did find that class and took it last June. You have to check the requirements in your state. Many states and logging companies accept or require GOL as an entry level requirement. Oregon O believe has a more robust and complicated ($) program. There has to be something out there, just start asking questions.

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 11, 2019, 07:18:43 AM
I did find that class and took it last June. You have to check the requirements in your state. Many states and logging companies accept or require GOL as an entry level requirement. Oregon O believe has a more robust and complicated ($) program. There has to be something out there, just start asking questions.
GOL seems to be mainly in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states, though I think there used to be a training organization in the Midwest?
There are other training organizations in the southeast (Tim Ard of Forest Applications Training basically teaches the GOL curriculum - he used to be associated with the founder of GOL. Not sure what happened there). 
Insurance companies often require loggers to undergo safety training. So if you ar ein the business, it might be worth inquiring with your insurance company. Some of those programs might be available to non-professionals as well?
It's worth inquiring with your state's extension forester (if they have one), a county forester, or a forest landowner's group in your area to see if they are aware of any training

Thank You Sponsors!