iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on chainsaw breaker/spinner?

Started by Hooterspfld, January 07, 2019, 07:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooterspfld

Has anyone used the Harbor freight chain breaker/spinner. It's 54.99 and of course I'll wait till I get a 25% off coupon. If anyone's used a different one I'm open to suggestions, not looking to spend a fortune, since and angle grinder and a hammer and anvil have worked just fine thus far. Thanks in advance!

Chain Breaker/Spinner for Chain Saws

lxskllr

This is what I use...

Amazon.com: Chain Saw Pocket Chain Breaker for 1/4", .325", 3/8", .404", 1/2" pitch: Industrial & Scientific

Found via help from this thread...

Making/Repairing chains, Cheap Gear? in Chainsaws

I'm completely happy with it. I'm not a pro, and don't need to make chains every week, so the extra effort isn't a big deal. I appreciate the simplicity, and portability. The biggest downside, is keeping everything together when joining the chain, but it doesn't take long. I estimate it takes ten minutes to get a chain together after counting the links(several times  :^P ). My results aren't as pretty as factory made, but I've had no failures yet.

Hooterspfld

Thanks lxskllr,

Yeah that definately looks like a helpfull little tool. I'm going to keep looking into it, but I'll probably pick one of those up just to keep in the tool box when cutting. 

Tip on measuring links. I screwed small screws through the chain holes into the top of my workbench for each of each of my different length bars. 12" 25" and 36." Whenever I go to make a new chain, I put the screw through the hole in the drivelink, stretch the chain till it reaches the 2nd screw, and then cut my chain. Don't have to count drive links anymore.   

Thank You Sponsors!