iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ideas on baffle in kiln

Started by xlogger, February 14, 2019, 05:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

In my DH kiln I've been using 4 light 4x8 insulation boards to angle across my the top of the wood for fan flow, 14 ft long inside length. I was thinking about maybe getting a tarp that would roll up when changing out loads for quicker and maybe work better than what I've been doing. I don't have a picture now since its loaded. Not sure how it would work and stay tight to side walls, anyone try this or have a better idea?
Across the back of the kiln I have a shelf about 5 1/2 tall that the 4 extra fans are resting in that I somehow might attach the tarp to and maybe put a long 2x2 the length of the kiln attached to other end of tarp to roll up on and hold weigh to keep it in place at end of stack near the door.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

I use a tarp in two on my kilns, they work pretty well.  One is exactly as you describe, a 2x4 attached to the bottom, rolled up and attached with bungee while loading and unloading.  The other are very heavy canvas tarps, that drop down and lay on the stack.  Canvas is very heavy but will degrade and tear very easily after a couple years.  Plastic is very light but needs a 2x4 to anchor it down as weight.  Cut a couple flap or long pieces for baffling the sides, or still just stick a hunk of 2" foam there between the stack and the wall.

My other kiln I still use pieces of 8x4 foam resting on the edge of the horizontal fan baffle to the top of the lumber stack.  So either way works, but if you have a vertical fan baffle, dropping a tarp to the top of the lumber stack is probably optimal.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I use the light 1" 4x8 foam resting on the back fan deck and laying on the front of the lumber stack.  I use more of the foam board to baffle the sides and to plug up the pallet runner holes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Quote from: WDH on February 14, 2019, 07:47:17 AM
I use the light 1" 4x8 foam resting on the back fan deck and laying on the front of the lumber stack.  I use more of the foam board to baffle the sides and to plug up the pallet runner holes.
that's what I use now just thinking about something that might be better
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!