iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A modest garage

Started by tule peak timber, March 09, 2019, 04:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I did the beams for this modest garage. Carbon fiber panel posts, polished concrete floors, and a lot of led lights. The lights reflect off of the floor so the owner can admire the undersides of his race cars $$$$$$$$$$.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Very nice overhead beams.  smiley_thumbsup

modest: having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance, etc.; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness, or great pretensions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Modest indeed. Those nice beams really help it though .
HM126

tule peak timber

Modest ,,, NOT,,LOL !  His neighbor is coming by next week for his home upgrade of beams. Keeping up with the Jones's so to speak.

barbender

I hope you charged them according to their modesty!😁
Too many irons in the fire

AZ_builder

Tiny garage, hardly any room lol lol lol

Don P

That bottom pic beam lap sure has me scratching my head ???

tule peak timber

Quote from: Don P on March 09, 2019, 09:25:43 PM
That bottom pic beam lap sure has me scratching my head ???
A simple half lap with some endgrain exposed- all of these are hollow and within the limits of what I can mill. The header beam in this pic has disguised joints due to milling limits. 2/2/37 feet. The challenge of widening, thickening or lengthening wood....... :)  

Ruffgear

How did you make those hollow beams are they 45d on edges? Are they 3 sided?  Great work btw..

cbla

tule peak timber

Ruffgear, Mostly 3-sided and I use a rabbit joint on edges. The 37 footer has copper butt joints and a steel skeleton of sorts to facilitate mounting. The contractor that put the garage together brought another beam job in the shop and wants 4-sided this time. If you want I'll document the next build. Rob  

John S

I would like to see that, there is a young lady nearby who wants a mantle to cover an existing concrete one.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tule peak timber

Will do on documenting the next build.The next build will start  in a few days. A beam section from a few months back  Rob

Ruffgear

Thanks Rob, that would be great. I've followed your work for quite some time, You do great work! Can't find the edges at all in your pics. And I presume those are matching end caps.

tule peak timber

Yes on the end caps. I take gnarly cracked log ends about an inch thick and sandwich them between two pieces of plywood . The next day I send the sandwich through a bandsaw creating a bookmatched set of end plugs. Next the end plugs are squared-up on a table saw at a 1 degree angle to precision fit the end of the beam / mantle. Extend the cracks with a chisel and it is hard to tell that it is not solid.  

Then after a little color touch up , the mounting. This mantle also has a hidden gun safe within. Rob

John S

Sorry Rob, having a senior moment.  I cannot figure out what your sandwich looks like and how you feed it through the bandsaw.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tule peak timber

John, A pic of the "cookie sandwich". This pic is actually two scraps I pushed together but you get the idea. A one inch select cookie glued between two plywood squares. When you center resaw this sandwich through a bandsaw it is important to have a flat side against the saw's table to help resist rotation. Also a finer toothed blade---not a resaw blade----will help resist rotation .

SwampDonkey

If that is modest, come build me one for $12,000   25' x 20', nothing monumental. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tule peak timber

Swamp,,,If you add one zero on the end of your proposal number we can build this for you. Pics of  another garage we did last year- just the millwork- not the building !  Another modest, understatement........... :)

SwampDonkey

I can certainly understand those numbers, I know first hand what it costs for a no frills modest house. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John S

Thanks Rob, I will give that a shot.  Beautiful work, as usual for you.  Have not seen any "garages" like that around here.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!