iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log lot management problems

Started by Bibbyman, May 27, 2005, 09:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Nice looking log pile Bibby. ;D ;D ;D
I've cut a lot worse. Course don't know if I made any money cutting worse. ::) ::)

And so it goes. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

outerbanxer

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 04, 2013, 08:42:24 PM

It makes for more work for the sawyer when the logs are poorly cut.  I needed to do chainsaw work on every butt cut.  All were notched at about a 30 degree angle with usually a big splinter sticking out.

I usually call it the beaver cut...lol. Never understood it, and have taught a few people what I learned. I always make a directional notch, then come on the back side up 2 inches (depends on the log diameter) up from the directional and cut into it flat....leaves a really nice hinge and you can steer the tree as it gains momentum. It also is really good at anti kick back, and the tree doesn't split on the way down.

But everybody has there own way...

Chuck White

Whenever we would cut sawlogs, we would cut the notch on the stump, not the log!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

That's a Humboldt. That is the way I try to do it. I hate big angled cuts on the butts of logs, especially if I'm trying to get a timber out of it. In my opinion, on larger logs anyway, that first foot or better is junk anyway. The grain runs out too fast when you cut into the root flare. Almost lost two of my 47' timbers this winter because of that. Fortunately I had some extra room to play with.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 24, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
That's a Humboldt. That is the way I try to do it. I hate big angled cuts on the butts of logs, especially if I'm trying to get a timber out of it. In my opinion, on larger logs anyway, that first foot or better is junk anyway. The grain runs out too fast when you cut into the root flare. Almost lost two of my 47' timbers this winter because of that. Fortunately I had some extra room to play with.

I didn't know there was a name for it Dave, it's just the way we've always done it!

Learn something new every day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

We've not yet made molehills out of the mountains of logs but we're making a dent in them.

We stopped buying before Christmas and have been working hard to get our custom sawing caught up and depleting our old inventory. 

We keep getting in more custom sawing. Here is a pile of cedar and two walnut logs that came in a few days back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

mesquite buckeye

Looks like you are getting pretty nice logs at the moment. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I know what ya mean Bibby. I sale a lot of barn boards I mill from Pine I buy. Right now I am out of Barn Boards due to milling Custom Orders and customers keep coming in and bringing logs due to warmer weather.

But at least I'm sawing.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You also have a whack of sawdust  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/H3hhw6ACRQY

I don't know if you can hear for the wind but I'm talking about 3 ugly oak logs that a tree service  brought and dumped they are caked with mud and gravel.   We'll not be sawing these.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Don't blame you a bit Bibby!

I've had to reject a few logs out on my mobile sawjobs!

Customers don't understand why at first, but with a little explaination they do!

goose63

Don't blame you at all. but thy would look good on the burn pile
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

5quarter

Bibby, you're looking caught up these days. as usual, I am the opposite of caught up.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

reubenT

Had an old man want me to saw up a big ole cedar log.  he was sure it was clean.   I hit at least 6 nails with the first cut.   Had to refuse to cut any further.   

I don't have much for level land,  my saw yard has to be very small and co exist with the neighbors access road.   (neighbor lives a mile back in the woods with their drive going through our place full length)   I'm trying to figure out where to put the "new"  old mill I'm fixing to set up.   Need to tear down and clean up the previous sawmill shed and space there is too limited.  Every other halfway level place is either inaccessible by truck or occupied by garden space.     I may have to get that ole dozer in here and create a level place where there isn't one.

Bibbyman

Quote from: 5quarter on January 28, 2015, 10:24:37 PM
Bibby, you're looking caught up these days. as usual, I am the opposite of caught up.  ;)

We've cut way back on our commercial sawing so we've not bought many logs. The last load we bought,  the logger really dumped a load of job site cleanup logs on us.  Guess he figured if we were not buying a couple of loads a week,  he could dump on us. 
Sawing since '94

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

mike_belben

It took nearly a month of leaning my phone up against my coffee to read this entire thread.. It really shows how much can change with time.  The log inventory swings, the changing markets, technology.  When the thread was started blackberry was in its infancy.  Now desktops are going extinct.   A few members in the thread have passed.  Kids have turned to adults, parents have become grandparents, businesses have begun and ended.  Time doesnt wait i guess.  

This thread was just what i needed when i needed it.  I am pushing out dirt for buildings, log lot, equipment parking and truck turnarounds.  Theres a lot of things im gonna do different than i thought and what a blessing it was to find this BEFORE i cut down those shade trees over the piles or put up that shed in the wrong spot.  

So what is the current state of affairs for you folks? 
Praise The Lord

Larry

Quote from: mike_belben on June 05, 2018, 10:20:36 AMNow desktops are going extinct.
When they become extinct I think I'll check out too.  Can't stand reading on a phone or tablet, and I even added a mouse to my laptop.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

paul case

Bibby and Mary are slowed down and have not sawn much that I have heard of, but it seems they have fun with their shootin and such.

I am still trying to saw for some level of production. WE custom saw some but it isnt enough to keep us busy so we also saw ties and some grade as well as palleting material for a couple local businesses.

We still have to deal with the log lot issue, but have narrowed it some by narrowing our sawing target. We saw ties that are 8'8''. We also saw 10'6'' 3x4 cants for my longest running customer. So I only buy logs that are 8' or 10'. We seperate them when they come in as 8' tie, 8' pallet, 10' tie and 10' pallet. This make for four different stacks of logs. We try not to make more than 4kft in a pile of logs and then make another. That makes it so that we can keep cutting on a pile til it is gone, then start on another. We tend to run low in the summer and none of my markets seem to mind stain on the lumber or cants.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mike_belben

Do you send out pallet wood cut to length or are they buying it long?  

Praise The Lord

paul case

long. I have done cut to length and unless there is no other way, I will not do it again.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!