iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Coyote.

Started by Jeff, September 12, 2005, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy called home a little but ago and asked if I wanted to go for a ride with her as she checked out some possible locations for centralized bus stops in the northern part of clare county.  Since I know that is mostly "wild" I said sure.  Well, we were going down one of the back roads and something came out of the thick road edge at a bout 120 mile an hour.  KATHUMP.

Tammy says OH NO I hope that wasnt a pet. I said not likely, pretty sure it was a coyote.  We backed up to the scene and sure enough a coyote. After reading this thread, we wern't even sure we wanted to get out of the truck. :D She was still alive but dieing. She broke her neck as she knocked the lense out of one of the daytime driving lights. Other then that, not a mark on her. We picked her up and put her in the cooler we had with us. We were out of cell phone coverage so Tammy used the motorola in the truck to call the bus garage and the DNR, they wanted her to drop it off. Tammy has decided she wants to keep it and have it mounted if they will let her.

I took a photo of it as she dropped me off and headed out again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

We put the coyote whole in a cooler with two bags of ice for now. Its 93 degrees here.  Can anyone tell me the proper proceduresto follow if Tammy decides to have it mounted?

beenthere

That's 'cool' Jeff.
I'd keep it cool and contact a taxidermist for the next step, which hopefully would be to drop it off at that 'dermist's shop.  :)

When do you find out if you can keep it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Tammy just called me, she stopped by the DNR check station, They said they dont allow you to keep coyotes hi by car. She said she then told them why she was out checking roads and such and they changed thier mind. Changed thier mind?  Anyways, she says she has to buy a small game license by midnight and get it to a taxidemist, that the DNR will be checking back to make sure she did those two thing. 

Seems a little screwy.

Our Insurance guy is a pretty durn good taxidermist and is also on the school board. Dunno if we can afford him but she was going to check with him.

She asked me how we should have it mounted. I suggested we go down to the junkyard and pick up a chevy truck bumper.... :D   THUMP.

Really, any ideas out there? My first one was maybe neck stretched out inquisitivly sniffing a butterfly.

Roxie

You need to gut it and get it positioned in as close a pose as you want it mounted.  

Note:  Do not ask how I know this.   :D
Say when

Tom

How about, warily looking about as it eats quail eggs from a nest.

Or sneaking up on a pet poodle.  'course you'll have to find a pet poodle. :-\

Jeff

She just called again from Joel's insurance office.  The Taxidermist. He said DONT GUT! Get the proper paper work, put it with the animal, double bag it and put him in the freezer until he comes by to pick it up.

Joel says next time he has a critter he wants to stuff he is sending tammy to the DNR. He says they dont let him keep anything.  Last thing he tried with was a little fawn this spring that popped out of a roadkill doe.  They said NOPE.

Sounds to me like some of these permissions are not based on any certain rules and regulations.

Jeff

beenthere

Tom
THAT made me laugh out loud (or  ;D ;D ;D :D :D )

And SCOOTER better scoot for cover...... and behave.

My take on the DNR not allowing 'road kill' to be kept, is they don't want to encourage hunting 'with' vehicles. Glad to hear the DNR will let you keep the coyote. Sounds like they can cover for you as long as the 'paper work' is done, even though not by the book.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

I like the sniffing a butterfly idea because it matches Tammy's avatar.   :)
Say when

Jeff

I gave Tammy a break on this one. Let me explain.  I am ALWAYS razzing her about killing animals with the car. Cause she does. A LOT, well it seems like a lot. :D   It really bothers her too. Today, she was scared to death it was going to be a pet. (there were no houses within 2 miles I bet).   If we are driving down the road and we see a squirrel or something that had been hit, I will ask her "when were you down this road?"  THUMP

Actually, because of all the rural road time she chauks up while checking road conditions, and the times she is doing it, mostly early, active wildlife movement hours, stuff just happens.

Jeff

Last year she danG near got a sandhill crane as it swooped out of a ditch in front of her, but it escaped her clutches  (THUMP).  I'd about guarantee they would deny that.  I probably would have had to try and use my MFRA board status to try to get it for educational purposes.   ;D

beenthere

While driving West in January this year, we were told about an 'out-of-the-way' place to stop in SD, and it was a taxidermist near Burke, SD.  Out in the wide open boondox, but the showroom was full of mounts of every description and pose.
http://www.petestaxidermy.com/showroom.htm
This guy had a knack for 'posing' animals in very natural-looking ways. A mountain lion about to lay an outstretched paw on the rump of a panicked buck, and a racoon dipping a clam in the water with mounted fish in the 'water' of the pond.
It was indeed a treat to see the showroom, and they apologized that so much of their work was not there but at shows around the country.
south central Wisconsin

Furby

I've seen the bird nest idea as well as ones with a hare or two.
I have a pic you might like to see Jeff and will email it to you later if I can find it. Can't post it, sorry. :-\

Kevin

The worst part to try and keep from spoiling on a canine is the stomache.
Their gut rots shortly after they die unless they are frozen and the skin turns green on the flesh side.
The stomache contents are rotten meat usually so that why it turns bad quickly.
When the belly rots the hair slips on the belly.
That looks like this years pup.
I've put lots of those critters on a board.

Jeff

Tammy says it weighs 37 lbs. counting the two garbage bags.

Kevin

Here's what they look like in the winter ..

Kevin

Let me know if she finds a good recipe for that thing.  :-X

Tom

Seein' as how there isn't a hunting season on them, least ways not here that I know of.  What would have happened if you said "I clubbed him with a stick?"   Could you have kept him then?

Jeff

Thats the thing, there is a season on them and it is open.

Corley5

Clubs aren't considered a legal means of taking game in Mi and you'd probably be arrested for animal cruelty. ::) ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

red

how about something to do with a road runner ? ? ?

or are they to hard to thump
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Furby

Wildflower IS the road runner! :o

Ducking for cover now! :D :D :D

Kevin

She said she didn't swerve to hit it.

...but she didn't swerve to miss it either!

according to Jeff an eye witness.

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!