iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Ain't lost no snow UP here... haha. Temps in the 20s and snow is on the way. Luckily they backed down on the snow totals but they are still calling for around a foot of snow. I'm hoping it misses us entirely tho.

rjwoelk

Sitting at thethe ND SD border waiting for the I 29 to open. Heading to Denver CO
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

SwampDonkey

26F in the afternoon in Mid-April isn't right. :D :snowball:

Warnings about freezing rain for the north on Monday afternoon until Tuesday morning isn't too encouraging. :D

Seen just 4 or 5 days ago, down near O F in parts of ND. That sure ain't right. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Was a warm early morning. Went to work and had to go out with a customer around 10:30. Someone left the door open. :o  Wind was blowing some and it was cold. It rained in the night,so a damp wind made it seem colder than what it. I came home and went outside for a while. Much warmer now,or feels warmer is what I should say.
Not a great month for warm temps. Thursday looks warm,50,but than a cool off for a week and warm again.
I was saying June is not that far off. Well I changed that to, July is not that far off. :D
It will warm up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

69bronco

Snowing like crazy, 20 degrees  whiteflag_smiley

SwampDonkey

13F this morning. What the L is warm, again? :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

It's 24°F here right now and a little freezing rain or sleet coming down!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

swampdonkey,I have today off and might go for a ride. But not heading up your way. :o I have 28° with a little wind. All clouds.
July is not that far off. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

No, I would not recommend it Ray. It is brutal. Especially when you want to get a house under way. ;D :D   At least we have full sunshine and that NW wind bearing down. Heavy wool coat (the one I wove double thick) and heavy wool pants to for my walks. :D

8 yards pulled off the loom

thecfarm

That red and black checked stuff is worth some money at those outdoor stores. :o  Looks good. Good and warm. :)

SwampDonkey

This wool (yarn) came from Harrisville Designs, down in NH is where they are I think. Since it is double woven, I figured $65 a yard for just the yarn. It's slow weaving to because every inch of the way you have to weave two layers that are also stitched together by the loom as you weave. ;)

thecfarm

I doubt those outdoors stores have the double weave. ;D  But they will charge $70 for just a heavy shirt of that material. I forgot how much a heavey jacket is.
Good job on the weaving.
I have my Father's heavy coat. Seem like everyone had one 40-50 years ago. It's well worn.

SwampDonkey

Yeah the ones my grandfather wore from back in the day were not heavy winter coats, they were vented in the back. He wore them when hunting in the fall, they were thinner material. He would wear something that light when cutting wood in the winter though or it would be way to hot with the manual methods of cutting wood. My uncle just wore a wool sweater over a shirt. If I was sitting up on an open loader truck or an open skidder, I would want more than a sweater at 0F or colder. $20 for man and horse a day in the 60's was a quick way to stay poor, and walking to work with the horse 5-10 miles each way. ;D

square1

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2018, 09:54:21 AM
That red and black checked stuff is worth some money at those outdoor stores. :o  Looks good. Good and warm. :)
...and does really weird things when you scroll it up and down on your computer monitor..whoa!

SwampDonkey

Not the best photography, a bit over exposed and compressed to boot. Red
does not compress well. :D

thecfarm

This was the heavy coat,no vent in the back. Has some sort of liner to it too,or did. Not much left of that. Kinda here in places and none in others. It's old. I have seen the ones with a vent.

trapper

Everything shut down here today.  snow, sleet, rain with high wind.  Wasn't fun to go out and feed the furnace.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2018, 10:42:59 AM
This was the heavy coat,no vent in the back. Has some sort of liner to it too,or did. Not much left of that. Kinda here in places and none in others. It's old. I have seen the ones with a vent.
Ah, it was a heavy one then. I never seen heavy ones. Mine is heavy though and also has the liner. The liner is more for ease of putting on and off, nothing goes through that wool. :D  The wool is 1800 yards to the pound and I figure 30000 yards of yarn for the 8 yards, took 5.5 yards to sew up the coat, close to 6 lbs of wool. :D I put 12 yards on the loom, but 48" wide @ 30 strings to the inch. But with take-up and loom waste from the weaving process you can only do about 8 yards of cloth. Especially if woven double, takes up more in the undulations of the weave.

rjwoelk

What make of loom do you have. When we started in the sheep busness i took a weaving class was very interesting. Came to the conclusion it was pretty time consuming . But would be a great hobby on winter. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

SwampDonkey

No particular brand, I made it. But it is a Swedish vertical countermarch type.

Thread is over here. ;D

New project, we'll see how it unfolds. in General Woodworking

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well the Southern Storm just came through here. Trees on the roadway, trees on cars with occupants, shutters and metal blew off our house.
A lot of limbs to pick up and it looks like this will be Free Log week when the tree service people go to work.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Busysawyer

We are getting the freezing rain. Ice building up on everything and 50 mph winds. Trees down and wide spread power outages. This weather is really holding up my progress.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Chuck White

We've been getting rain, freezing rain off & on all day, supposed to stop sometime during the night!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

51cub

Enough snow on the car this morning to want to sweep it off. It never did make on the road, though. Less at the garage 20 miles away. It's raining hard now. I got inside just in time
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

We have a coating of something. But still doing something outside. ???

Thank You Sponsors!