iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grumpy old men

Started by pineywoods, May 04, 2010, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

piney i wish you didn't live so far away i run across those battery powered chairs a lot picking up junk and doing clean up job and they get sent to the junk yard no one here does anything with them :(   thank you for doing a great job restoring them to help some else

Kbeitz

I see about one a week in our local junkyard...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Latest grumpy old men project all loaded up for delivery to a needy grumpy old man.. Older gent, can't walk or do much else, wife has alzheimers..Kids had left his power chair out in the rain.. Corroded contacts on the power on button, and the backrest was broken. Surprisingly, the frame of the backrest was wood, I can fix that..

This is the wood frame for the backrest. Pretty obvious it got wet more than once.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Good for you......again.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

It's folks like you and many others here that make me proud to be a member of the Forestry Forum.  I know I don't contribute much but I try when I can and love hearing good things like this, my hat's off to you once again.
Edit, Pineywoods I have yet to see anything you can't fix or improve.

petefrom bearswamp

Does a fellow good to see the best in human nature.
Keep it up Piney
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Piney is one of my heroes.  I also had the pleasure of meeting him. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

This project touches a real soft spot that I have for veterans and especially dis-abled vets. One of our grumpy ole men is a retired vet, who is legally blind. He is currently enrolled in a month long course at the VA blind school learning to use word processing equipment so he can write a couple of books. I got a phone call saying "hey they have a craft shop here and guys are making pen and pencil sets, and they sure could use some wood." A few hours in the shop and I came up with this, walnut pen and pencil blanks

Filled a garbage bag with them plus more garbage bags filled with pecan, mulberry, cedar, persimon, and oak. His wife delivered on next visit and I get another phone call saying " how about some bird house/jewelry box wood. "
His wife leaves today with the back of her suv stuffed with 1X6 cedar and cypress, already cut to size and planed smooth.

I had some questions, and sure most of you do..A craft shop in a blind school ?
Think about it this way. For someone who has lost vision and feels useless, completing a pen or bird house or jewelry box, would be one heck of a confidence builder.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

thecfarm

We need a bunch more pineywoods in this world.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Elderly gent who lives alone. The plywood floor of his deck rotted, so we did a project to replace it. Used 4/4 X6 white oak planks off my mill, blow down tree recovered off neighbors pasture fence. Look closely, there's a 5 year old hard at work removing rotten boards. He also kept the rest of the crew supplied with water...We start them out young. ;D

sandhills

Pretty soon you're going to have to start a "grumpy young men" chapter  8).

Magicman

Being Grumpy warms the heart.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2018, 10:37:49 PM
Being Grumpy warms the heart.  8)
I thought that was heartburn.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

51cub

I might not say it enough but good on ya piney! This part is a little late but for whatever reason I've been missing this thread. The craft shop at the blind school reminds me of a story in the paper awhile ago about a blind man building such things in his home shop. Hes even using power tools. He has jigs set up so that he can feel where his hands have to be so that they're out of the way. It's been quite a little while but I seem to remember him making some pretty amazing things
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

The five year old is in training to join the Grumpy old men club.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: thecfarm on March 23, 2018, 06:12:12 AM
The five year old is in training to join the Grumpy old men club.
He comes from good stock. His dad, 2 uncles and grandpaw were in the crew..The entire family goes a long way toward restoring my faith in the human race ;D

GAB

My guess is the little one very was well supervised!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pineywoods

This is a story of a guy in his 50's whose life was totally up-ended. He developed a rare disease which affected the nerves in both legs, resulting loss of muscle control. Initially, he could get around using a cane, but that rapidly turned into using a walker, and then a manual wheelchair. Job as a truck driver became impossible, so his wife takes on 2 jobs to pay the bills, leaving him home alone most of the time.
Enter the grumpy  old men. A re-furbed power chair was donated, which made life a little easier, but he still was confined to the house. There is a 6 inch step down out the back door to a paved patio. Woodmizer to the rescue. 2 18 inch wide by 6 ft long wedges cut from solid dry white oak made nice ramp. Yeah, sometimes I deliberately saw a wedge.  ::)

The hash marks are grooves cut with a router. Wet white oak is a bit slippery

Now he can get out of the house, but there's another obstacle, the carport is 25 feet down a grassy slope, power chair has a slippery problem climbing the slope. Another volunteer work party to pour a 4 ft by 25 ft long concrete walkway from the patio to carport.

Couldn't get a redi-mix truck anywhere close, we had to use  sac-crete. 16 people showed up, 3 of them with portable mixers.

Maybe the truck driving skills helped but, this guy took to the power chair like a duck to water. A few days later, he does the dishes, laundry, cleans the bath room and mops the floor from a comfortable chair. He says, best of all, I can go to the fridge and get a snack or drink without fear of falling, and go sit on the patio and enjoy the outdoors

Magicman

Being on your knees helping others makes one stand very tall.  I am proud to know at least one of your Grumpies.  smiley_thumbsup

thecfarm

You guys are Good. Mighty Good.

newoodguy78

Texas Ranger

Wish you young pups would stop talking about us old fellers! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Jeff

Sure proud to know you Piney. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!