iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mandolin pic

Started by music_boy, October 27, 2003, 06:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

First musical instrument is a learning one.
     Top is a piece of pine board from Lowes cuz I butchered the 30.00 piece of sitka spruce trying to match the edges. Neck, back and sides are cherry. Peg head piece is burled walnut. fingerboard is rosewood. (purchased ) Does not have the bindings cuz I screwed up with the dremel. Actually played and sounded nice till the back seam pushed out. Like I said,,, learned a lot. Will be easily fixed and should play well I think. Just this side of ugly.

;D
Rick :-X
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

trey_w

I think it's AWESOME for a first time!  Nice work!! ;D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

DanG

That's great, Music-boy.  The pine gives it sort of a rustic quality. You oughta get a slice of that sinker pine from FDH to do your next one. Bet that would be real purty. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Percy

Looks good to me...kinda rustic like DanG says. I admire anyone with the skill/patience to build somthing as intricate as this. Only instrument I ever built was at a party, involved a clothes line,garbage can lid  and a hockey stick ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

whitepe

Neat Music Boy,

I'll bet Stradivarius didn't have the courage to post
pictures of his first violin on the web.  ;D
I admire your ambition and willingness to stretch your skills.
Keep us posted.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

MrMoo

Music Boy,
That's pretty neat. I have to admire your willingness to try and build something like that.
Keep at it sounds like you had a good learning experience.

Looking forward to pics of your next project.

Jeff,
We'll need to add sound to the FF so we can listen to Music Boy's creations.  :)

woodbeard

Nice looking mando!
Here's one I did a long time ago. The top is port orford cedar and I didn't brace it well enough, so it caved in after a while :'(
Sounded great until then, though. My tastes run more toward british isles traditional stuff, hence the flat, teardrop shape top.

music_boy

Woodbeard
     My top pushed down when I tuned it up and the strings hit the fret board. Luthier buddy I mine suggested I do what thr Violin makers do, put sound post under the bridge. I did this and fixed the problem. then the stress pushed the back out and split the backseam. I need to glue a brace inside on the back to repair my mando. Don't know if that will fix yours or not. Good lookin tear drop though. Too bad we Can't do sound bites. Be cool to hear the sounds.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Steve

My wife took a class in Ukulele Construction this summer and finsihed with these TWO ukuleles. The one on the left is Mango and the one on the right is Koa.

After watching her I signed up and am in my third class. Way cool to go through the process. Simple tools and techniques born of much history and experience.
 I'll post pics when I have something to show.

FRONT

BACK

She's playing "Careless Love" on the Mango one right now...
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

woodbeard

Steve, send music boy some of that wood, so he can make a mangolin! :D
Actually, the soundpost in a violin isn't for supporting the top ( as you have found out. ) It transmits vibrations from the bridge to the back. An arched top doesn't use braces, the arch and the quartersawn wood provide its strength. I think the weak link there was the Home Depot pine, but definitely chalk it up to experience, this is how we figure this stuff out. :P

music_boy

Woodbeard,
     You are right on the mark on all counts. Mangolin, :D :D :D :D :D
Be a cool monicker
Rick

Steve

Music_Boy,

I'd be glad to set you up with some real nice Mango.What are your back and side dimensions? Do you have anything in your wood pile you'd like to trade?

Let me know
Steve

Steve
www.curlykoa.com

music_boy

They cut that Osage Orange tree today. Hope tp cut some of that soon. I'd love some Mangowood, but honestly, not for a Mandolin. I'm setting up to make guitars. Can it bookmatch to 22 tall by 19 for a back?
I think you'd love a uke outa that osage.
Thanks
Rick
BTW
Got some cherry and  Walnut if that suits you you too.

Steve

RIck

I'd love some Osage Orange. I think finger boards would be the thing to do with it. I'll check. As for the guitar set. Check what size you need for both the back and sides. I have never had any one need  a 19" back, 18" ( a 9" wide board, bookmatched) is as wide as I've ever had a call for.
Sides should be about 5 1/2" by 32" long or so.
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

music_boy

You are right. I was refering to a finished back.(put together) I'll get those sizes together
       Guy down the road from me builds Dulcimers. He's interested in the Osage for Fingerboards. Do you have Perssimon in Fla.? There's another wood for fingerboards too. Same family as Ebony wood. They make golf club heads outa that. Got a line on a couple of those after Isabelle went through.
I'll be in touch
Thanks
Rick

Thank You Sponsors!