iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saturday Delivery

Started by Norm, January 24, 2004, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Too cold to saw today, the temp never got much above 20F. Got a load of wood split a couple of odd jobs done and was getting ready to make some soup when Patty hollered down at me there was a logging truck at our gate and someone walking up the drive. Turns out it was my friend Dave. He brought some white oak and one lonely walnut. Bundled back up and went out to supervise the unloading.

A couple of these were in the 36-38 on the small end. I'll quarter saw all of the white oak.

The walnut had a big fork on the end I'll cut for the crotchwood and the rest is easily veneer grade but only 7' after the fork is removed.

Were falling behind. Patty's gonna have to start working overtime. ;D

Frank_Pender

That is a nice Whack f logs, Norm.  Worth going back outside in 20* weather, for sure. 8)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Norm,
I like to see pictures of nice hardwood logs like that.We have some Birch,Alder and Black Cottonwood here but nothing of that size and value.

Are you milling them up for Dave,or did you buy them?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

Those are for me Paul, I bought some veneer grade white oaks from him but they haven't been able to get to them because of the weather. It gets cold then we get a few days of low 30's. Makes the fields real greasy. These logs are lower grade but still pretty good. I think he felt sorry for me they couldn't get me the good ones so I got a good deal on these.

The lonely walnut has a split down one side where they must of hit another tree when they dropped it. Otherwise they would have sold it for big bucks.

EZ

Nice load of logs Norm. I like to saw white oak, the boards are always nice and clean and they even look solid.
EZ

WV_hillbilly

It is nice to be suprised on cold days like that . It gets you thinking of what you want to do with all those  boards in them logs . There is something to be said about the beauty of quartersawn white oak . Are you going to saw some wide boards like you did a few weeks ago ?  
Hillbilly

Norm

I have had requests for 8/4 q-sawn wo so I'll try to get as much of it as possible (as wide as possible ;D).

I hate moving big boards that size but charge a premium for doing it. I want to cut it when it's still cold so it will air dry in the shed without a lot of degrade. Probably stick it in the kiln this fall.

Thank You Sponsors!