iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Cabin Stairs.

Started by Mooseherder, July 28, 2013, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I made this to replace the rickety old attic ladder we have at the cabin.
It needs sanding and finishing along final assembly when we get there in a couple weeks.

Andy White

Mooseherder
That is a good looking ladder for sure! Love the dadoe's and the profile on the hand rail. What finish are you going to use on them?
Wish my shop was as clean as yours!           Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Mooseherder

My shop doubles as a garage and most of my tools wheel out to the driveway for use.
It has way too much stuff in it to stay organized.
I used half of a D shaped hinge for the handle pattern.
Drilled a hole to make way for the jigsaw in each handle, then routed both sides with a 1/4 Roman ogee bit.
Also used the same bit to round off the front faces.
It would have been faster to buy another attic ladder but where's the fun in that. :D
I have quite a selection of finishes leftover from other projects.  It'll depend which one my wife likes I guess.

m wood

im with you mooseherder, every tool on wheels...i look at the sky and decide if i'm building that day.  recently made offer on the house across the street. 2.5 car garage with a polished floor.  I dont really care about the house :D :D. 
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Mooseherder

It seems to rain everyday for the last few months.

sawmillhand

I really like those. I just built my first set of regular stairs i ended up cutting them one tread to short  :D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Magicman

Very nice.  Does it fold, retract, or will it be mounted stationary?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

They'll be stationary.  If for some reason it becomes a nuisance I can reinstall a new attic door. I'm thinking they will enhance the living area tough.

WDH

The hand holds are cool. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

We built this one for my Friends cabin. Real bad design, nothing to hold onto, steps are too thick and the angles wrong.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 31, 2013, 09:31:26 AM
We built this one for my Friends cabin. Real bad design, nothing to hold onto, steps are too thick and the angles wrong.

I like that honest assesment, Raider :D Those stairs do seem to be more pleasant to look at than to actually use!

Moose, I like the ones you built! Visually appealing and hopefully functional as well ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Mooseherder

Here they are installed.  They're much nicer to use instead of the rickety old attic ladder that was there. :)
Building them to go above the second floor allows for a quick handle on the way down.

beenthere

They look great and easy to use going up and down.

When not in use, where do the stairs go? Carry them off, or push them into the attic?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

They are stationary screwed into the flooring and ceiling with just enough room to open the cabinet doors.
It replaced an attic ladder but there isn't an attic up there.  It is a bedroom.

WDH

Has Jake been there?  I think that I saw his hat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

:D
It's on my moose antler hat rack.
Some kid at the 4h cattle auction gave me that hat when I bought his steer.
Had we left the cabin in time for the Sycamore project I would of got out of my truck with it on and said Mimi me is here. :D
I wore that hat everyday to keep the sun and weather off my head.
Even had it on while mowing besides route 1.
It got a lot of lookers.  I love it. ;D

isawlogs

Stairs look great, always a pleasure when a plan comes together.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 02, 2013, 08:10:44 PM
Has Jake been there?  I think that I saw his hat.

Jake's is a 10 gallon....the hat shown is an 8.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Very nice and creative! Fits nicely at the cabin and very functional!  Excellent job, thanks for sharing.

Thank You Sponsors!