iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Cookies. Someone said the other day, "I dont know how anyone makes money cutting cookies?" I say, how can you not make money sawing cookies? $2 each is a bargain price for cookies, and if you can cut 60 to 70 cookies out of a 10' little maple log, that's a pretty good return on a small log!  :) Main thing is to have a good dry place to store them. Another thing, as many cookies as I've sold over the past few years, never had anyone ask me, "have these cookies been kiln dried?"  :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Darrel

Thouse cookies look good. I think I might even see a few ginger snaps.  :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Now dat's ah bag-o-cookies for sure.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Lots O cookies fer sure!  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dustintheblood

Lots of cookies - to lots of cash in hand - from not many logs

I see perfection!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

WDH

PA,

That maple is fantastic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Tight squeeze this week.  Backed the sawmill in less than a foot from the garage on the idle side and about 2 ft on the sawdust side, until the loading arms cleared the building, and also just when I could still open the door on my truck by about an inch.

Earlier, we got out the logging arch and put it through first.  Customer and his friends arched the logs over to the patio while I set up.   It worked great.  Initially we were going to arch the logs down the drive to a flat spot on the road and mill them there.  But this was much better.  I had to be careful not to have the guide arm open too wide.

About 800 BF of white oak mostly 5/4, everyone was very happy.   Afterwards the four of us carried the arch over the mill to save me hooking up and unhooking again.  After packing up, we  had pizza.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on July 15, 2018, 08:33:29 PMThat maple is fantastic. 

Thx. Curly maple and walnut is all I need. :) 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bogue Chitto

Have no logs to cut for weeks then I get overloaded.  Customer to bring 50 more pine logs

e logs.  8)

Magicman

Looks good but I am hoping that it is not plantation grown SYP.  Generally when I saw that stuff I continually have to flip it 180° to prevent stress from lifting the cant ends up off of the sawmill bed.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

I don't think it's plantation.  Customer cutting trees out of his filed behind his home. 

Lawg Dawg

Yep, them plantation pines are like sawing rubber bands! :D

Cutting white oak cookies...2 for 1!

While I'm on here...how do you clean the built up pine rosin off your console?  After 250 hours, mines looking grungy :(

John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Bogue Chitto

Good question.  Mine looks like that also.

Sawmill Man

WD-40 works like magic,also works on hands just dont show your help or every time you pick up a can it will be empty lol
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

goose63

Lawg Dawg try Ronsonol lighter fuel that stuff will cut most any thing sticky I use it to get pine pich off my hands
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Southside

Dawg, it looks like you tried to do the charred wood thing to your console.  :laugh:
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Southside logger on July 16, 2018, 03:41:35 PM
Dawg, it looks like you tried to do the charred wood thing to your console.  :laugh:
:D, SS, run it so hard it charred itself  :D ...sho sugi console  :D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

goose63

My son Erick DIL and the grand kids were home for a week

Eathin at the mill

Dad  Grandpa and the log dog keeping a eye on things

now this stinkey Willow

that boat winch makes it sooooo easy
goose

Busysawyer

Sawed up a couple walnut boards today. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

petefrom bearswamp

Not sawing anything special just some Dang shaky Hemlock.
Seems like the hemlock quality in my area has gone to pot.
Got an order for 180 1x12x16 plus 1x3 battens and a bunch of 16' 2x4s only got 15 1x12 and 5 battens so far from 3 20" logs in 4 hrs.
Wore my son and i out too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Busysawyer

Brought in another little load of walnut today. The old truck and trailer made another run for me. Keep wondering when the truck or trailer or both are going to call it quits. Just hope it doesn't end with a trailer load of lumber or bobcat flipped in a ditch with lumber strewn everywhere.  This old 2003 GMC has 335k miles on it and it's been worked to death.  Its spent a good chunk of its life overloaded and driven hard. I'd like to say its because I keep up on maintenance but that would be a lie.  Haven't changed the oil in over 3 years and 100k miles. She burns a little oil and I just keep adding a quart here and there. It hasn't even had a dipstick in it for about 5 years to check the oil. Ridden hard and put away wet.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Nice load of Walnut.  :)

I'll also mention that your "user name" change from Busybeaver to Busysawyer was a very honorable thing that you agreed to do.  It distinguishes you from another member; @Busy Beaver Lumber and will eliminate any possible confusion in the future.

SlowJoeCrow

Speaking of dipsticks, where can I buy a longer one for my truck??  The old one no longer reaches the oil. say_what say_what say_what

goose63

Slow Joe it might hep a bit iffen ya was to pore some more oil in :D
goose

4x4American

Listen, you don't need that many straps on grade lumber!  2 is plenty, some guys just put 1 in the middle. I like two straps, that way my strapping is rated for what the pack weighs (supposedly)
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!