iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Advice

Started by DaughteryCreekWP, May 17, 2015, 12:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaughteryCreekWP

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a mill that is in the timbering 1400 bracket. That is the mill that i am looking at right now. I am going to be milling the wood for my house out of the trees that I fall. There is more then enough timber on my home site, Can anyone give me suggestions on what they believe is the best mill for what I am looking for. I have never ran a mill before, but I know I can do it. I can adapt to just about any situation and can lean to do most anything. I am just worried about the mill cutting true all the time. I am going to be using this wood to build my house I will be living in for the rest of my life. So there is a need for it to be square and the cuts to be accurate.

Thank you, any advice would be helpful.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Look at the mills that our forum sponsors have for the "best" recommendation. They support this forum and we try to support them. Not a bad mill in the whole lot of them.

Sure sounds like a great project you have in mind, and many here will be around to help answer any questions and give you great encouragement along the way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KiwiBro

Quote from: beenthere on May 17, 2015, 12:56:42 AM
Not a bad mill in the whole lot of them.
*cough*

DaughteryCreekWP, welcome. What sort of woods are you playing with, what sort of timber do you need for the house plans, and how much of your money have we...I mean, you, got to spend?
Max characters: 300

fishfighter

One thing about using your own lumber to build a house. Some places will NOT let you use your lumber unless the lumber is graded. You need to check into that.

I bought a Woodland 126 mill just to build a camp and a few other projects. Very happy on the product lumber so far. Never milled before getting my mill. I fell my own trees off my place too! Bad thing for me is that I mill more red oak then anything. Wish I had some pine. I do get some of that, but it's far in between.

woodman58

DaughteryCreekWP, I have a TK1400. I love running it. It operates at a good rate. As for cutting straight timber, it does a terrific job. As with any mill you have to keep up with the maintenance schedule to keep it cutting true. There is not much to it just keep everything greased and a sharp blade and everything is accurate. In my opinion TK is a good choice.

P.S. Make sure and get the set works and hydraulics. I added an extra toe board to have one to lift either end of the log.   

i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

slider

Be careful  of what you are getting in to.I did what you are thinking of 15 years ago.I bought a used  mill and restored an old house that we live in now.Then I started sawing on the side just because I enjoyed it.I started with a tractor and a set of tongs.Along and along I kept adding support equipment.Then traded up to a bigger mill.There was not enough work to go full time sawing.I solved that problem by taking on a partner and getting into the tree business full time.Just to support my sawing addiction .Now I saw full time as well as tree work.So far it pays the bills and I am doing two jobs that I enjoy.Good luck and keep us up on your progress.Al

al glenn

dean herring

Woodman58, I am wanting a Tk1400 electric and I was wondering what hydraulics you added.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

sandsawmill14

I agree with beenthere you will get a good mill from any of the sponsors. I have a timberking b20 and saw from 8-10 mbdft per week and am very satisfied with both the mill and support from timberking even on a 15 yr old mill (THANKS TIMBERKING)

the more you spend on hyd and accessories the better you will like the mill but remember if the house is the only reason for the mill  thats only about 1 weeks sawing for the the hyd mills so might not be worth the extra money over a manual mill but thats just 1 way to look at it. :)  good luck whatever smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum btw :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

GAB

Quote from: DaughteryCreekWP on May 17, 2015, 12:10:20 AM
So there is a need for it to be square and the cuts to be accurate.

Thank you, any advice would be helpful.

Your last sentence I find very interesting.
Please note that wood works as it dries.  After a few months it may not look as good as it did the day it was sawn.  A lot of this has to do with the species of wood and a lot of other factors.
Suggestion: for example, for the studs, saw full 2"x6"'s, sticker them and let them air dry for a while and then put them back on the mill and resaw them to 2"x5-1/2".  Windows and doors are manufactured for box store dimensions.  This will go a long ways towards having a square building.
As to the type of mill to purchase I offer no comment as I have only owned or used one brand so any comment from me would be biased.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!