TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Service on a Wood Mizer mill.  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
Re: Service on a Wood Mizer mill.
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 12:12:37 PM »
I've used one for years and i was wondering it people here knew about them.
You can also buy them to fit air chisels.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »
Hello,
I have one of these tools in my box. I get it out from time to time. I really have not been successful with it. I think by the time I get the equipment it is way beyond any cheap fix.  Frequently we remove the pins and make everything work. Heat works but makes the paint a little black. I am not saying you should not use this tool, if you use the grease gun more frequently you may not need it.  ;)

During the training with a new customer I have this saying. Did you ever see the Wizard of Oz movie? There is a wood cutter ( Tin Man) rusting away in the woods. Dorthy saves him with an oil can, Right? You need to be Dorthy at least once in awhile.

Hope this helps.

Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline tnaz

• Retired; with a Full Time Task! Of my Choosen
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
You need to be Dorthy at least once in a while.
Grease is GOOD.

Thanks for a great thread.
tnaz

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tnaz.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline tnaz

• Retired; with a Full Time Task! Of my Choosen
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
Thanks, I look and read a lot just don't type well.

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 06:36:05 AM »
Hello,
Lets discuss hydraulic pump motor maintenance. The Wood Mizer manual states that you should check the pump motor brushes every how many hours? Here is a copy of what the manual states.
Maintenance Hydraulic System
Replace the hydraulic system cartridge filter every 500 hours of operation.
Inspect the hydraulic pump motor brushes every 750 hours of operation. Remove brushdust and replace the brushes if they worn to a length of 1/4 (6mm) or shorter. CAUTION!
Do not operate the hydraulic system if the pump motor brushes are worn shorter than 1/4 (6mm). Damage
to the pump motor may result.

This mill came to us with 2001 hours.

LT40 Super Hydraulic two pumps.
Owner said the hydraulics were slow. It was still working. I asked him when was the last time he checked the pump motor brushes? He had a puzzled look.

Here are the motors removed. Some take the motor and pump and tank out as an assembly. It is much easier just to remove the motor. These are the Iskra motors. The early mills have a Monarch motors and brush kits are not available through WM. You can get the Monarch motors rebuilt at a alternator shop. 

We have the armature, aluminum end cap, brush holder and the housing with the magnets.
Disassembly of the motor. Step one, loosen the nut on the back of the housing and remove, there should of been a ground wire attached to the nut. next-  Loosen the nut that the positive wire was attached to the stud on the end cap. on the other end pry the armature loose from the end cap, ( there is a o-ring holding the bearing in the end cap), you should now be able to remove the end cap, it may be tight do not pry, a little goes a long way. If you force it you will break the brush holder. WM does have these available.
Next is cleaning. I have used brake clean, pressure washer and we just purchased a hot water parts washer ( Think dish washer on steroids) that works awesome for this job.

As you can see here the armature needs a visit to the lathe, this is what may happen if you do not check or change the brushes in a little less time than 2000 hours.

Here is a picture of the armature after it was turned on the lathe.

Ok ready for assembly.

When installing the motor to the pump, you must have the male and female ends aligned. Never ever tighten the bolts to pull the motor into the pump. I have seen a few hydraulic pumps damaged if the lugs are not aliened.

Here is the contact strip mounted to the side of the frame.
The positive wire is soldered to the copper strip. The bolt at the end just keeps the copper strip from sliding. If you install a metal bolt to hold the wire in place you may be changing the fuses in the fuse box.

Here is the repaired strip ready to go back on the mill.

These pictures are from more than one mill in the last few months.

Hope this helps.

Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 05:52:18 AM »
Hello,
  Here are some tips on gasoline engine.  The customer dropped this early WM mill off last week. I think it is a 1987 LT40. It looks rough but it has some up grades. He said the engine would not idle with out the choke pulled out half way. His comment was don't do any more repair until you see if the engine is worth while fixing.
I put the battery in the mill and was expecting the worse. Pulled the choke and the engine fired on the first turn. I pushed the choke in and the engine stopped. Removed the top of the carburetor and found water.

In this picture I have removed the pilot jet, it would be in the small hole on the left. I would guess this only took a few min to get to this point. Take compressed air and blow out the junk.
Next step is to find out where the water came from. I drained the fuel tank into a white bucket. This is what you may find.

That mark at the top of the bucket is not a stain it is the water.

We replaced the original fuel tank with a new one. We had to bend the original bracket a little to make it fit but it looked pretty good.

After this we started the engine, ran great. Called the customer and he was expecting the engine to be bad? I said your mill is running good. He then gave me a list of a few other things that need addressed. As you may see the brake strap is a little frayed. The up down motor is a little weak.

Hope this helps.
Have a great day.

Marty

Offline LoneDuck

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for this great info. Just started to get my mill ready to start cutting and this helped out a lot. Also opened my eyes to other things that need to be done. I got the mill used and been trying to get a good maintenance schedule for it. This is will help greatly and is greatly appreciated.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Service on Wood Mizer

Started by MartyParsons on Wood-Mizer

46 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 08:59:58 PM
by MartyParsons
xx
Wood-Mizer Service Tour

Started by gfadvm on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 09:18:24 PM
by Magicman