TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: OldJarheads Milling Thread...  (Read 100948 times)

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
Re: OldJarheads Milling Thread...
« Reply #1020 on: March 30, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »
Nice work jarhead!

Is he using steel to band the lumber? Does steel ever discolor the wood?
Thanks.
It is a plastic/nylon type band.  Doesn't care if the wood stains since it's all for the bee boxes (except the locust and apple).  He was a cabinet maker for several years so seems to know his wood well.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1021 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

Ready to get underway to the next milling job 100miles from home.  Camper packed and ready, mill loaded up and ready and I headed to the scales.  Without the mill in tow and no mill gear in the back seat area of the truck (and minus a few other light items) the truck weighed in over 12000lbs.  My E rated tires are rated at 4080#'s ea so with a rear axle tire rating of 8160, stables loads (upper and lower) and air bags I wasn't too concerned when the rear axle weight was 7680.  However, I'd had the hitch beefed up (basically a custom superhitch) and added the 36" supertruss extention I new I was starting to get closer to what the tires could handle.  The rear end is actually rated by (Visteon) the manufacturer) at 9750#'s so I wasn't worried there but getting close to max on the tires was a concern.

I figured the mill had a light tongue weight and thought I'd still be under but I was wrong!  With the mill in tow, about 100#'s of hitch and truss and all the gear etc I weighed in over 13000#'s!  Rear end sat at 8240 -- 80 pounds over the tires :(

Decided to drive slow (55) and see who she did.  Research told me the tires are rated at 4080lbs given standard road speeds (legal limits) and 50,000 miles so in theory, 40 pounds over on the two rears and lower speed (less heat) should be fine.

I headed out and got 9MPG on the 100 mile drive (with some good hills to climb) and all seemed fine.  Felt the tires and hubs at the end of the drive and they were cool.  I think I'm ok!

I arrived at the location, set the mill in front of the logs, dropped it, pulled ahead and set up the camper :)  Life was good!

21 logs turned into 22 by day two but I knew I could get them all done :)

After milling up some locust I got into real logs :)  Customer wanted 3x12's out of this guy so I offset the pith and split that sucker!

Another big log and more 3x12's

The customer wrote on all the logs what he wanted :)  Very nice.

At the end of the day I'd milled 2300bf of various stuff from small locust and walnut logs to big fir.  It was a good day and I was ready for a shower, a drink and some chow!

The awning helped keep the rain off my gear and I was really loving the generator!  I could run my compressor during every blade change and get things cleaned up nicely with air! :D

Some of the days results

After a shower in a bathroom that I actually can use! dinner and a drink I was ready to crash and the nicely laid out 'bedroom' was rather inviting!  I crashed at 8pm!  Can you tell I took too long off milling?

Couple cups of coffee in the morning and a little breakfast and I was ready to clean up some flitches and get to the big monster log waiting for me :)

This big log was 9 feet long and measured 42" outside the bark on the long axis.  I knew it would be a fun one!  But before loading it up we removed a 4" screw clamp used to clamp phone wire to the tree!  It was HUGE

Not much room for play here!

Time to start gun barrelling this sucker down!

After getting into it we found 5 or 6 nails (DanGit) and the customers worker offered to trim bark with the chainsaw.

At least he put safety glasses on but I have to admit it makes me nervous seeing others run a saw without at least having chaps on.

On a side note, I got my Husky 576xpw out since it was newly rebuilt (thank you Husky and Bailey's) and it ran well.  I didn't push it hard wanted to be sure it was well broken in and ran Husky bar oil and TruFuel 50:1 in it.  So far so good.

Later in the day the last big log was milled into 1x4's.  I was having trouble with knots causing waves and cursed myself for bringing the wrong box of bands (only brought 10's but meant to bring a box of 4's) which cut fine all day, and later but not on the big wood with knots.  Changed bands, checked everything and determined the 10's just suck on big cuts with knots and discounted the customer the 3 bands I cut nails with in exchange for what I felt were poor 1x4's.  He said he was happy with them anyway but accepted the exchange :)  But then I'll be back in May so I'd say it's worth it!

Clean 3x12's cut nice and square.  I knew my belt tension was fine or this could not have happened!  Darn 10's.  I'm starting to only use them on small wood now and replace them with 4's or 7's when I need replacements.

Oh Arctic Fox 990 how I love the! :D  

The LT40 turned 428 and I need to do some maintenance before next weekend where I'll drive 110-120 miles to the next job and mill up a dozen logs or so.  Then I'm off a week or two and back to milling local for a few days, then back to Chelan to mill 20 burned pines.  I'm busy through to June now :)

Cheers

Erik

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #1022 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Nice going Eric,
I'm still enjoying watching your milling adventures.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1023 on: April 16, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »
Eric,

Can I have your customer call mine as to the log marking idea and such. I like that. As often as not when I get there the customer has no idea what he wants. I bet the 3X12's got a little heavy by the end of the job.

On the blades I'm replacing all mine with 4's as I go along too. They'll cut anything while the 10s only seem to like certain softer logs with no knots.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1024 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Most customers only have some rough ideas but this guy knew what he was doing :)  He used to have a guy with a Timberking nearby but it burned in a fire.

Oh and I didn't have to pick up a single piece of lumber this trip :D  The help was awesome.

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1025 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »
Nice work there!

BTW I think you got one too many zeros in your truck/camper/mill weight.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1026 on: April 16, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »
Come a long way from that LT10.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #1027 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
Great pics Eric. Thatís a real nice setup and I bet it is perfect for you. Thanks for sharing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:56 PM »
Kinda makes ya wanna go buy a camper don't it?  :)
Where's the Spoon?

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1029 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  Fixed the zero's! lol

yes a LONG way from the stationary LT10 and even then from the CSM! :D

Loving the camper really and going to put a TV in it now~!

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1030 on: April 25, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
Do you have pic of the apple wood?
Hey nice meeting you yesterday!  Sorry about all the work calls! LOL now you know what my days (and evenings sometimes) are like when I'm not milling.
Safe travels!

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #1031 on: April 26, 2018, 01:14:03 AM »
Thanks for the visit. It is good to meet fellow ff members in person.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Rjwassink67

• learning all I can
    • Share Post
« Reply #1032 on: April 26, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
Wow, just made it through the whole thread!  What an adventure you have been on!  It was amazing to see where you have started and what you have learned and accomplished in such a short time.  All of your hard work has paid off.  We don't own a mill yet, that has to wait until my wife's military career is done, but I read and follow everyone on here for now.  Thanks for taking us along!

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1033 on: April 27, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Thanks and thank you wife for her service :)  (and you yours if you also served).

Hard to believe I went from this:

To this....

To this...

To all of this! :D Since 2010!

But I've enjoyed it all and FF has played a HUGE part in my being able to do so!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1034 on: April 27, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
And I thank you for allowing us to enjoy your journey.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1035 on: May 09, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
Thanks MM :)

Had a LONG day yesterday!  Whew!  Longest day I think.  Left the house at 6am and drove the 120 miles or so to the customer location, setup and began milling.  He'd originally told me he had 9 logs but the night before he called and said he'd picked up more so I'd have enough to work on....so much for a short day! lol

Turned out he had 17 logs to mill and a couple hard woods (that I'm still not sure what they are but maybe maple?  The bark was burned off but the wood was good still).  In fact, all of the logs were fire burned but most produced good lumber.  8 hrs of milling later and I was tearing down and dropping the hammer to head home!  Got in just after 9pm and was smoked!  Long day!

The umbrella didn't help much as the sun was beating down on me from different directions (can't wait to get the new one installed) but it did help some, specially on breaks!  This is 2hrs into the day.

2 hours down and 4 logs done...got work to do and it's BRIGHT out!  Got up to 80F or so and not much of a breeze but what breeze there was, was coming right at me!  Of course ;)

Hardwood slabs.  he wants to make a table out of it and it was some HEAVY stuff but it seemed to cut 'ok'.  Truth is I didn't bring any 4's with me as I thought it was all small pines I would be milling so after starting on a lone 7 i switched to my stock of 10's.  Only used 3 bands and milled over 2400bf

Mixed bag here.  He wanted some slabs and then some 2x's and then slabs but the logs, well, as he put it "trees don't grow square do they?".  Nope!  And the first 'log' was a bit of a beast but I made it work.

Most of the logs were 20 footers and while he cut some down smaller I milled most at the 18-20 length.  All 1"x8 or 10" stuff except some 2x10's I also milled up.  Most pictured here but some was already carted off to the area they were building in.

As always a good day :D  Just a long one!

Next up is a walnut that's 24 feet long.  Customer will buck to 8 foot lengths and thought it was a 'big' log until i kind of chuckled and said 24" diameter at the base?  No problem!  he seemed confused until I explain it aint a mill squisher until it's bigger than 36" lol 8)

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #1036 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:07 PM »
Doing some really great work Eric. You have been thru a few changes and upgrades indeed. Thanks for sharing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1037 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »
Lookin good Eric! 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #1038 on: May 09, 2018, 11:32:31 PM »
Just a hi to you and your wife.
Rolled through about a hr or so ago. Got another load of genies heading to Toronto ON. like the last load.
Keep up the good work.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #1039 on: May 10, 2018, 06:05:53 AM »
smiley_beertoast coming along well.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee on Sawmills and Milling

599 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 08:32:58 AM
by paul case
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff
grin
Well this is a 'What are they up to?' thread

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

20 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 04:50:45 AM
by asy
xx
Thread ID