OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OlJarhead

Finished!

For those interested I made all of the flooring T&G with a router and used a biscuit joiner at the ends (except that last 3 rows because I forgot it at home).

We love the floor and can't wait to put the finish on it (when it gets warmer).

Pic of the nails coming soon.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crossroads

That's beautiful! Did you build this from the ground up? Also, is it your main residence or a getaway cabin? Either way, nice work...,,
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

47sawdust

Very nice floor,great job.Here in the N.E. it is common practice to leave a 1/4 to 3/8 between the flooring and the wall to allow for seasonal movement.This gap is then hidden by the baseboard.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Crossroads on December 04, 2018, 11:45:32 PM
That's beautiful! Did you build this from the ground up? Also, is it your main residence or a getaway cabin? Either way, nice work...,,
Ground up :)  There is a thread on here somewhere that has more about that as this was just my milling thread -- and it's just our getaway place :)
Thanks

OlJarhead

Quote from: 47sawdust on December 05, 2018, 06:13:21 AM
Very nice floor,great job.Here in the N.E. it is common practice to leave a 1/4 to 3/8 between the flooring and the wall to allow for seasonal movement.This gap is then hidden by the baseboard.
Pretty much what I did albeit not as well as I should (at times I let it slip).  I will be cutting out some of the gap for the transitions still and at the walls there is a slight gap.

OlJarhead

Took this with my phone for you all.

One thing with these I found was that the Fir seemed to split more than the pine which almost never split.  Sometimes the nails start to rotate when driving them in and this causes the Fir to split so I started drilling pilot holes for the pine.

Crossroads

I'm not sure if it would work with these, but with standard nails, if you turn the nail upside down and hit them a couple times to dull the tip, they are less likely to split/crack the board. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

cbla

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Crossroads on December 06, 2018, 01:10:27 AM
I'm not sure if it would work with these, but with standard nails, if you turn the nail upside down and hit them a couple times to dull the tip, they are less likely to split/crack the board.
That is a good tip that I use often.
These are blunted from the factory.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OlJarhead

Ya these are dull and work great other than the odd splitting on the Fir  I think Pine is so soft it just absorbs the twist but the Fir didn't like it.

OlJarhead

Howdy All :)

It's been a while!  I've not been milling and recently had trouble holding a coffee cup (that is a major issue) ;D :D but went in and got a shot in the arm (Kenalog and Lidocaine I believe -- kinda the same thing as Cortisone but for tendons) and am told I will be able to use the arm for a couple months now ;)

So, I'm heading to Portland/Hillsoro to try to mill up some English Walnut (you probably saw my other posts) and am hopeful I will be able to roll the biggest logs to the front of the house where the mill will be without too much pain (good luck right?).  I intend to bring my chainsaws but I hate to cut out any crotch that I don't have to so I can mill it up and see what I can get out of it.

I have a fellow an hour or so away with a KILN that has agreed to let me get some of it dried up after I air dry a while and I'm hoping to actually have some wood to play with this fall/winter season.

Other than that I also hope to mill up a bunch of D logs for our cabin this spring so I can start on an addition.  However, admittedly, I haven't been falling trees or milling anything for a while other than a couple weeks ago when I fell two small pines and one that was 20" at chest height which resulted in much pain and left handed coffee drinking.

I've actually been working on my VA comp stuff over the last 18 months or so and I guess you could say it's gone well (LOL) but I'm not likely to mill as much as I want moving forward (two bad disc's in my neck, permanently separated SC joint in shoulder all related to an injury in the corps 30 years ago to start off anyway and which has finally come home to roost I guess).  But we will see!  The shot in the arm might have me back in action and I hope so!

But I'm being realistic and might be doing more camping and fishing than milling this year with hopes of making more sawdust in the future -- but I will at least mill this walnut up this weekend!

Wish me luck! (and see the other threads in case you live in the area and are a glutton for punishment -- i.e. are willing to help move logs or something and meet up too of course!)

Cheers
Erik

CCCLLC

Good to hear from you, missed your posts.Take care of yourself.

OlJarhead

Thanks and will do!  Trying to get healed up enough to at least get some personal milling done and have a potential customer for later in the spring or early summer (but you know how those are).

Who knows?  Might get some milling done yet ;)

Crusarius

If you were closer I would be all about coming to help. Just the knowledge I could learn would be worth the trip. plus I do love that area.

caveman

Erik, it is good to hear from you.  I hope that you will get some much needed relief from your maladies.  Find a strong young fellow to do the heavy lifting.  Fishing and camping aren't too bad to have as contingency plans to keep yourself active.
Kyle
Caveman

OlJarhead

heading home with a truck full of English Walnut and a sore back but all smiles :)

terrifictimbersllc

Is that gas can supposed to ride back there? Maybe to deter tailgaters?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

cbla

those slabs couldn't have been light! nice work.

Crossroads

I'm glad it all worked out, Those are some good looking slabs.....

Darrel

A pickup load of slabs with a sawmill in tow and parked in a parking lot. Looks like good advertising to me. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Some of the slabs from this weekend :)  Ended up with 33 slabs in total and some of them are 24" across and 78" long (2.25" thick)....my back is sore LOL but all of the wood was brought in (it was already starting to stain in the truck bed after just 48hrs!)

There are air gaps around them now but in the garage the air doesn't move much so I'll have to get a fan and maybe a dehumidifier in there until I can get them stacked and stickered (sooner the better I am thinking).

Still debating if I will do here on the north side of the house (less direct sun that way -- we're pretty deserty here) where there is good air movement most of the time, or take them to the cabin and leave them up there (like all the other wood I have).

Truth is, I'd like to get some of the big slabs dried in a kiln and am looking at that now but the guy prefer's air dried first and seems like he takes a LONG time to kiln dry walnut (like months) so maybe building my own mini kiln would be best.

I am wondering how these will do in the garage like this?  I've never done it this way before but I wanted to get them somewhere they weren't stacked on top of one another modling away!

Also, I was wondering if a typical garden fungicide would work on the mold that started already?

OlJarhead

One thing I was thinking was that I should cut those ends flat and perpendicular to the centers.  They would stand better for one, end seal well and later be better to work with I think

WDH

That is what I do.  Well worth the time.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OlJarhead

You mean cutting them and then adding the arbor seal?  or using fungicide?  Or both?

Thank You Sponsors!