iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Nice work there!

BTW I think you got one too many zeros in your truck/camper/mill weight.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

47sawdust

Come a long way from that LT10.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DPatton

Great pics Eric. That's a real nice setup and I bet it is perfect for you. Thanks for sharing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Kinda makes ya wanna go buy a camper don't it?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys.  Fixed the zero's! lol

yes a LONG way from the stationary LT10 and even then from the CSM! :D

Loving the camper really and going to put a TV in it now~!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Quote from: rjwoelk on March 28, 2018, 07:28:34 AM
Do you have pic of the apple wood?
Hey nice meeting you yesterday!  Sorry about all the work calls! LOL now you know what my days (and evenings sometimes) are like when I'm not milling.
Safe travels!

rjwoelk

Thanks for the visit. It is good to meet fellow ff members in person.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Rjwassink67

Wow, just made it through the whole thread!  What an adventure you have been on!  It was amazing to see where you have started and what you have learned and accomplished in such a short time.  All of your hard work has paid off.  We don't own a mill yet, that has to wait until my wife's military career is done, but I read and follow everyone on here for now.  Thanks for taking us along!

OlJarhead

Thanks and thank you wife for her service :)  (and you yours if you also served).

Hard to believe I went from this:

To this....

To this...

To all of this! :D Since 2010!

But I've enjoyed it all and FF has played a HUGE part in my being able to do so!

Magicman

And I thank you for allowing us to enjoy your journey.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Thanks MM :)

Had a LONG day yesterday!  Whew!  Longest day I think.  Left the house at 6am and drove the 120 miles or so to the customer location, setup and began milling.  He'd originally told me he had 9 logs but the night before he called and said he'd picked up more so I'd have enough to work on....so much for a short day! lol

Turned out he had 17 logs to mill and a couple hard woods (that I'm still not sure what they are but maybe maple?  The bark was burned off but the wood was good still).  In fact, all of the logs were fire burned but most produced good lumber.  8 hrs of milling later and I was tearing down and dropping the hammer to head home!  Got in just after 9pm and was smoked!  Long day!

The umbrella didn't help much as the sun was beating down on me from different directions (can't wait to get the new one installed) but it did help some, specially on breaks!  This is 2hrs into the day.

2 hours down and 4 logs done...got work to do and it's BRIGHT out!  Got up to 80F or so and not much of a breeze but what breeze there was, was coming right at me!  Of course ;)

Hardwood slabs.  he wants to make a table out of it and it was some HEAVY stuff but it seemed to cut 'ok'.  Truth is I didn't bring any 4's with me as I thought it was all small pines I would be milling so after starting on a lone 7 i switched to my stock of 10's.  Only used 3 bands and milled over 2400bf

Mixed bag here.  He wanted some slabs and then some 2x's and then slabs but the logs, well, as he put it "trees don't grow square do they?".  Nope!  And the first 'log' was a bit of a beast but I made it work.

Most of the logs were 20 footers and while he cut some down smaller I milled most at the 18-20 length.  All 1"x8 or 10" stuff except some 2x10's I also milled up.  Most pictured here but some was already carted off to the area they were building in.

As always a good day :D  Just a long one!

Next up is a walnut that's 24 feet long.  Customer will buck to 8 foot lengths and thought it was a 'big' log until i kind of chuckled and said 24" diameter at the base?  No problem!  he seemed confused until I explain it aint a mill squisher until it's bigger than 36" lol 8)

DPatton

Doing some really great work Eric. You have been thru a few changes and upgrades indeed. Thanks for sharing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

rjwoelk

Just a hi to you and your wife.
Rolled through about a hr or so ago. Got another load of genies heading to Toronto ON. like the last load.
Keep up the good work.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys :)

The walnut turned out to be an 18" log at 6 feet from the base and 129.5' long.  Still a nice log and mostly straight.  I'll be bucking it up for him (his saw is a little wee thing) and milling it up soon :)

Got a message from another local I milled a bunch for (the apple/locust/pine/poplar guy) and will be headed back there soon for a few more days :D

Then I'm on to Chelan for a 2 day weekend gig before heading back to Chelan again (Manson) for a 1 or 2 day gig :)

Not a bad start to the new milling year :)

OlJarhead

Well folks, I gotta get busy!  Got two jobs in Chelan to do, one in Moses Lake, another in Rock Island and actually should be doing another in Moses Lake....so um ya.

I was trying to cut DOWN on the work LOL

Broke off a tap today trying to see if I could sneak out some threads on the loader zirk that came out...darn it!  But I got enough threads in to get the zirk in and put some grease in there.  Got the mill good and greased and with a little more cleaning it will be ready for Saturdays milling adventure in Manson (Chelan).

OlJarhead

Finished up the first of two jobs in Chelan two weeks ago, then the arthritis shut me down.  Now I'm milling this weekend on the second job in hopes of completing it without too much trouble.

With luck I can complete this one, then a one log operation and finally another 20+ log job in East Wenatche (another repeat customer).

Once those three are done I'm shutting down the mill operation for a month or two (maybe longer) to see how the hand does.  With luck I won't have to dial it back anymore than that but the doc thinks I may need a new knuckle.  We shall see!

Darrel

Best of luck to you Eric. I'd hate to see you have to hang it up. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Darrel on June 12, 2018, 09:14:16 PM
Best of luck to you Eric. I'd hate to see you have to hang it up.
Thanks.  The hope is that I won't have to hang it up in the end ;)  But I think I have to take stock in what I can expect to be able to do.  For the moment the thumb is mostly working again and the pain is very limited.  I see the doc again today and will go milling this weekend (provided I can actually get the hitch back on the truck, load the camper and mill and get to the site without having to put a brace on again ;)

Rjwassink67

Wish you the best Eric, like I have said before, loved reading and following your journey.  Hope your back at it after a rest and doing what you enjoy.  Take care of yourself

OlJarhead

Almost ready to get milling this weekend 8)  The wrist is a tad sore but not too much more than my hands are normally so overall I'd say a major improvement.  The Naproxen might be bothering my gut a bit so I have to work with that and all these injuries in the last year have not made it easy to keep the weight off!  Gotta get walking again!

Anyway, with luck I'll get the oil and filter changed out today, put in new plugs and air filter (about 450hrs on the mill so probably due) and a few other minor maintenance items, get the camper on the truck, and hook up the mill.  Hoping to roll out by 6pm for the 2 hour drive to the mill site. 

I like to get there the night before, camp out and set up in the AM so I can get a full day of milling in on day one.

Magicman

I prefer reading where you are sawing rather than "disabled".  I hope that all goes well.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

caveman

Good luck and I hope your aches and pains are few and far between.  Looking forward to seeing some beautiful sawmill site pictures.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!