iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guitar for auction in support of forum

Started by Coach, October 17, 2016, 12:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach

In a month or so I'll start work on a guitar build that once completed will be auctioned off on the forum, with proceeds in support the forum.  Kudos to forum member hackbarry Jake, as he has born the major piece of the cost (sent me a pile of great looking Osage Orange). It'll take a year or so to finish this off, mostly evenings, a few minutes here, a few minutes there.

So I'll end up putting in around 120 hours of my time.  Jake has supplied me with a number of Osage guitar sets, so that's my payment.  There is an opportunity for others who what to contribute to the build.  I will need wood for the neck, and tuning machines.  Suitable neck wood is high grade quarter sawn Cherry or Walnut.  The tuners I would suggest are good quality Gotoh.  Other than that, I would suggest a decent guitar case.  Electronics are also an option. Shipping cost with be around $100, so we'll need to decide who pays for that. 

I'll build a guitar loosely based on the Martin D28.  The soundboard will be Spuce (likely Lutz), the back and sides will be Osage Orange.  Binding will be curly Maple with herringbone purfling.

So how to go about this:

I'd suggest I build the guitar, posting pics of the progress.  Once completed I'll get some clips with a pro player doing a demo and commenting on it.  Then auction.

Magicman

We have been anxiously awaiting this build since Jake got his.  Jake's guitar build  This thread will be very interesting to follow.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

I don't play but like to look at things cant wait to see the curly maple with the other wood and how there built   and thanks for helping out the FF

thecfarm

More details and pictures to follow. I hope.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I'll be following this one for sure, what a great project.

brianb88

I am looking forward to following this build.
Measure twice, cut once

Coach

WDH

Give some specifications (dimensions) of the wood that you need. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coach

For neck wood:  Quartersawn with no knots, faults, or twists.  36" length x 3" width x 1" thickness will give you the neck in drawing #3.  Would be great to avoid having to laminate the heel, but that would require a 3" thick block (drawing #2).

The quartersawn grain should be running up and down, not across.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built a guitar out of Sweet Gum once. It played by itself for 3 months.  :D

I like your work Coach. You got my attention.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Coach

Finally finished off a guitar I've been building for my uncle. D28 style bracing, with Indian Rosewood back and bearclaw Lutz top, herringbone perfling and curly Maple binding. The finish on there is a product called Royal Lac, which is shellac with a added hardener.

I'll get started on the auction guitar shortly.

Magicman

I know nothing about guitars, but I do know pretty!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll start the bid if your ready....... ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

That's beautiful
I could play my country song I wrote
The Ballard of Brenden Scott Uncle Dicky don't eat shake and bake like we do
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Coach

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 23, 2017, 08:49:57 AM
That's beautiful
I could play my country song I wrote
The Ballard of Brenden Scott Uncle Dicky don't eat shake and bake like we do

I like ballads.  Do you have a link to a sound clip?

Coach

Hey guys, it's over a year later but I've started the build.  Sides are bent, back joined, top joined and rosette installed.  I'll be gluing up the back this month and the top next month.  Expect to be done towards the end of June. 

I know this has been delayed for years at a time, but this time it'll get done.  Reason being I'm teaching a high school guitar building course where all the students build their own acoustic guitar.  The guitar I'm putting together will be the auction guitar.

Magicman

Hilltop366

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

8)
Wa  Hoo!
Thanks for supporting the forum.
8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Banjo picker

After you get the guitar done, you can start on a banjo.  Every body should have a banjo; they should be issued just like birth certificates.   ;)  Looking forward to seeing the guitar.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I have a Banjo.  Can't play it and it doesn't even have strings, but I have one.  Has Wizard written on it so I guess that it is a Wizard Banjo.  It hangs on the wall at the Cabin so I guess that it is a Cabin Wizard Banjo.  ;D

I don't have a Guitar.  Can't play one, but I guess that I will bid on this one.  I could hang it...........    :)

Thank You Sponsors!