iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2008 Ford F350 6.4 Diesel head gasket.

Started by MartyParsons, December 25, 2017, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Getting ready to remove the cab and replace the head gaskets. Anyone have any tips, tricks etc. 220,000 miles on the truck. On a long pull the coolant comes out of the degas bottle. It has been doing this for about 10,000 miles. I keep putting it on the top 10 list. I guess it is time to make it happen.
Anyway I look at it is not a easy labor job , or cheap and maybe more than I am expecting.

Some things to think about.
   Replacement engine is more than 1/2 the truck value. I paid $ 23,000 for the truck with 45,000 miles. It has a R title. Reman engine starts at $ 5000.00 and as high as 17,000.00
   Head gasket kit with bolts will be in the range of $ 800 - $1,000

If I find other issues with the engine like a damaged head or block cost could be more.

Thanks
Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

scsmith42

Marty, I could write a book on the 6.4.

Your coolant loss is due to cracked heads.  This is a real problem with the 6.4's and the reason why Ford does not sell any rebuilt long blocks - only short blocks.  They can't find any significant quantity of uncracked head cores to use for rebuilding.

There is an outfit in Alabama that makes aftermarket 6.4 heads that have thicker decks and redesigned water passages.  They have been selling them for at least 5 years and have a good rep.

You will probably find a lot of wear on your valvetrain.  This is due to a problem with the camshaft design wheby the ramp (the part of the profile that lifts and valves off of the seats and sets them back down) is too aggressive.  It slams the valvetrain rather hard and causes premature wear.  Asheville Engine Builders in Asheville, NC have a redesigned cam that has the same lift but a more gentle ramp.  It solves the problem with premature valvetrain wear.  You will most likely have to replace the entire valve train.

You will most likely find significant taper in your cylinder walls (if your motor has a DPF that is).  Ford opted to inject diesel fuel during the exhaust stroke via the engine injectors, instead of putting a separate injector on the DPF.  This excess diesel fuel causes the oil to be washed off of the cylinder walls and usually the 6.4's will actually "make" oil in-between oil changes instead of losing it.  This is because the crankcase is being contaminated with diesel fuel that is washing past the rings.

6.4's also have a problem with the pistons developing a hole in them.  When you take yours apart you will notice that the pistons - instead of having a straight bowl in the top of them instead have a donut shaped void.  This helps to reduce emissions but the thin lip where the donut meets that top of the piston is prone to develop hot spots and melt.  This is a real problem with drivers that shut their engines down hot.  International sells a heavy duty piston that is delipped, or you can have the lip milled off of a stock piston.

Head studs are always a good idea, in lieu of bolts.

Fan clutches are wise to replace when you have the engine out too.

If you want to swap in a reman, Asheville Engine has an excellent reputation for their 6.4's.  They know all of the tricks to do to them to ensure longevity.  A fully rebuilt long block with all of the heavy duty modifications will probably set you back around 11K, give or take. 

These engines can develop an impressive amount of power, IMO much more than a 7.3, 6.0, and 6.7.  If you rebuild the motor and incorporate the mods above you should be good for another 300K + miles, and considering the price of new trucks it may be worth the investment.

Most likely the front cover on the engine will show signs of cavitation behind the water pump.  Unfortunately a new front cover is around 800.00, which is another benefit of the reman (it includes a good cover).

Best of success to you.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Thanks Scott.

As I told the budget analyst this morning. We will start at $ 1000.00 and go from there. Other than blowing water out of the degas bottle it runs fine! I love the truck.

Thanks again.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marty, have you posted a pic of your truck yet? I'd just like to see it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Brian_Rhoad

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Took the 08 F 350 truck to a diesel shop today. :'( Just could not get time to do it my self. So much info on the web it is mind blowing. Many issues with the 6.4.  It has been a good truck, and it owes me nothing with 220,000 miles on it. Purchased it used with 45,000 miles for $ 25,000. Only let me sit one time with a low pressure fuel pump issue. I would expect to spend about $6K for the new head gaskets and well could be anything. The tech said maybe a new high pressure fuel pump and, if , and could be more of that and this. He said it has another 100,000 miles or more. ::) Lets hope for the best. ;)

I did put the bike on the back so I got a ride in on the way home.
Thanks
Marty

MartyParsons

Hello, 
  Diesel shop called. 
Cylinder heads , valves guides are bad. New heads $ 925.00 ech  Repair the heads 700 to 850.00 ech.
New oil cooler
New hi pressure pump fuel system
Belt idlers worn. 
Everything else looked good in the engine.

Should be completed next week.  :)

Marty

Weekend_Sawyer

Marty, I feel your pain.

My 06 had the 6.0 diesel. I believe it was the worst diesel fore ever put in a pickup truck!
at a hundred thousand miles the truck was 10 years old and blew the head gaskets. The mechanic that I trust quoted $7,000 to pull the cab and just replace the gaskets. Or he could do it right for $14,000. Carmax gave me $10,600 for it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

MartyParsons

Hello, 
  Picked up the truck today. Runs good. 
   Time will tell if the investment was a wise one. 
New cylinder heads, New oil cooler, ARP head bolts, new rocker arms and pivots, water pump, thermostat , new belt idler assemblies, few other odds and ends. The tech said I need to watch about using non Ford oil filters. He said the oil filter cap had broken and was not in good shape. He said if the cap comes with the oil filter it is not wise to use it. Use only Ford Motorcraft filters. He also said the oil by pass spring was damaged and he replaced that. Always use the Ford Gold antifreeze on these engines. If you have a tune to not use the highest setting because it changes the fuel timing and floods the cylinders with fuel. He also said the cylinders looked good and to keep doing what I have been doing.  ;)
It cost about $9500 to have this completed. 

Hope this helps others make a wise decision. 

Marty

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marty I have always taken my Power Stroke to the Ford dealership for everything.
Once they find the problem they call me with a price for after market parts and genuine Ford parts before starting work. I always use the Ford part made for the truck.

Sounds like you've done good. Hope you get good service for a long time outta your truck.

Note: I do not have a tuner or add anything to my engine to increase power. I've always felt the engine was built to do what it does with out help.  ;D
Them tuners will make you have a bad day sometimes.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   The the tuner has been good. 8 mpg when I purchased it and the regen was going on constantly. Once I installed the tuner it now gets about 14 mpg. The 6.4 does not seem to survive the emission as well as the tuned engine. Lots of issues with the EGR and cooling the exhaust gases on the 6.4. Pretty happy with how it worked out. Check engine light comes on you can read the code and reset, glow plugs it tells you what cylinder is defective.

Thanks

I don't have any plans to tune the 6.7 at this point.
Marty

coxy

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on April 20, 2018, 05:37:54 PM
Marty I have always taken my Power Stroke to the Ford dealership for everything.
Once they find the problem they call me with a price for after market parts and genuine Ford parts before starting work. I always use the Ford part made for the truck.

Sounds like you've done good. Hope you get good service for a long time outta your truck.

Note: I do not have a tuner or add anything to my engine to increase power. I've always felt the engine was built to do what it does with out help.  ;D
Them tuners will make you have a bad day sometimes.
David  how many miles you got on my/your truck now  ;D  

POSTON WIDEHEAD

coxy

not even broke in yet  i had 490k on mine the only thing that was ever done to that truck was a tranny at 190k  and a fuel pump because the rubber rotted out in the pump it still ran just leaked a LOT of fuel I'm hopping this summer or next to come down south and buy another one i don't care if it got 6-700k on it as long as the frame and cab are good  dang i miss my old truck  :'( :'( :'( just be easy on our truck please  :)  :D

Thank You Sponsors!