iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the best grease

Started by petefrom bearswamp, January 25, 2018, 06:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anybody use green grease?
the description makes it looks like it can do everything.
I am looking for the best for my mill , wheel bearings and my atv which spends quite a lot of time in the  water and in mud
I have used the cheap stuff and just had to do the bushings on my atv and wonder if it is detrimental to the mill and my other equipment, tractor, rtv etc
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

Everyone's going to like something different... Like ford and Chevy...
I like red moly my self.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Man we just had a thread turn into this lol I cant remember where tho.  I use Schaeffer's 238 moly supreme on my pins that stuff can not be beat for that.  Everything else I been using either the mobile delvac or the lucas red n tacky.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I remember part of that post!

In it I believe MagicMan recommended NLGI #2 grease!

I think it was mentioned that it would withstand high pressure, high heat, and high speed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Quote from: 4x4American on January 25, 2018, 07:47:01 PM
Man we just had a thread turn into this lol I cant remember where tho.  I use Schaeffer's 238 moly supreme on my pins that stuff can not be beat for that.  Everything else I been using either the mobile delvac or the lucas red n tacky.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,97721.msg1509037.html#msg1509037

This one?,  Nope not that one ::)

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,99260.msg1535287.html#msg1535287

This one

D

farmfromkansas

I have been using a lithium base grease,  find it expensive but also find that i have few breakdowns using it.  Have been using it several years on my farm equipment.  It is recommended for my sickle mower.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

longtime lurker

Grease is grease: which is to say that cheap grease often beats good grease seldom. Particularly when the application is either as a cushion (hitch pins, suspension bushings etc) or where it has to also function as a seal to keep moisture/ dirt out.(automotive ball joints etc).

I use whatever mid price moly I can get on special in those types of application. 
Bearings I use a proper bearing grease like mobil temp#2.
If its something that needs good grease because I won't be back in their until it fails I use Mobilith SHC460... extreme temp and pressure resistance and sticks like nothing else I've ever found.  But too much$ for things like ball joints.

At the extreme ends there are graphite greases and process greases. But grease is like oil in that its not just grease - there is an inverse relationship between the speed(viscosity) of grease and the cushion or "stick" of grease. So: a grease suitable for electrical motors is not the grease suitable for a shaft bearing on a 25000 HP fuel oil engine.

But for general applications like your quad bike... grease is grease.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

Quote from: longtime lurker on January 26, 2018, 03:11:39 AM

But for general applications like your quad bike... grease is grease.

Grease is grease but the soap that hold it together is different...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

I've come to realize that greasing more often is better than greasing "with better".
Got a 20V Dewalt grease gun, now that Red-n_tacky flies as often as possible. I think I'm even exceeding the recommended intervals!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

kelLOGg

I use Red n tacky in the summer and some black grease in the winter. Does anyone else change grease with the seasons?Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Oliver05262

Well, the Red & Tacky doesn't pump well when it's cold. so unless you keep the gun on the floorboard under the heater, you need to use something else. Most synthetic greases fill this need, but at a higher cost. It is a trade off.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

69bronco

Percy

Quote from: PA_Walnut on January 26, 2018, 06:28:39 AM
I've come to realize that greasing more often is better than greasing "with better".

When I was a kid just outta highschool driving log truck, I asked an oldtimer what was the best grease??, he said "The stuff in the kingpins and tie rod ends and slack adjusters is much better than the stuff  in the grease gun" ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Resonator

Any grease is better than no grease at all. I've seen some excavators that come with a self lube system built in. Sending controlled amounts of grease from a tank through pressurized lines to the bushings. I had an old JD 310A backhoe, (well worn before I got it), that you could rock the digger bucket side to side because of loose wrist pin bushings.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

dustintheblood

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

moodnacreek

When I built the sawmill that I operate, bearing heat was a big problem because the center of the saw would warm about 5  degrees and throw it off. First off I was using too much grease and too heavy a grease. Went thru 3 lubrication salesmen, all a waste of time. Now too much grease heats a bearing; one day I pried the seals off a new Timkin/fafner sealed, non relub ball bearing and found it FULL of blue grease. This special grease they sell and it will reduce the bearing temperature. this can be the difference between sawing and not sawing. The gravity rolls that go to my lumber separator must have thin grease in winter. After rebuilding my Prentiss loader I have only used L.E. synthetic grease. On simple ,slow moving or loose joints I will use common # 2 grease.

richhiway

for outdoor equipment a good water resistant grease works well. I use Amsoil Synthetic water resistance grease in everything I own including wheel bearings. It cost a little more but you will use less of a quality product. Synthetic oils and greases work better in cold and hot conditions.

Grease does not lubricate it is the oil that is held in suspension that does. If you over grease you do not give the oil a chance to work.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/synthetic-water-resistant-grease/
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

petefrom bearswamp

I now have the dewalt 20 v gun and am trying lucas redn tacky and green grease.
We'll see what happens
the green grease is really sticky
Also found a torn boot.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

jason.weir

Quote from: PA_Walnut on January 26, 2018, 06:28:39 AM
Got a 20V Dewalt grease gun, now that Red-n_tacky flies as often as possible.

I bought the 18v version because it matches the rest of my tools.
I go through way more grease than I used to.

climber2

You get what you pay for and, grease is not just grease.
Be sure you use a bearing grease when greasing bearings ( lb). You may have a grease that is both lb and gc (chassis). If this is what you have be sure that it doesn't have moly in it if you are using it in a high speed bearing application. Moly creates heat = bad for bearings.
Gc is important to be used for pin or pivot grease points as it is designed to stay put and keep contaminants out.
Nlgi 1 or 2 basically tells you one is lighter or thicker than the other. Kind of like 10/30 vs 5/30 engine oil.
Hopefully this helps...
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

petefrom bearswamp

Used the gun a little yesterday on my Kubota RTV.
Works good except I had 2 fittings that try as I might wouldnt take grease.
Took the zerks out and made sure they were OK and heated the joints up pretty good but still no dice.
Sprayed the joints with some kroil.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

jason.weir

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 13, 2018, 08:57:45 AM
Works good except I had 2 fittings that try as I might wouldnt take grease.
Took the zerks out and made sure they were OK and heated the joints up pretty good but still no dice.
Sprayed the joints with some kroil.

If none of that works get one of these

IPA's Grease Joint Rejuvenator - Clean Clogged Grease Joints - YouTube

Tractor Supply has them - never had a joint that I couldn't get to take grease..

Kbeitz

Yep... Called a grease hammer... You should always have one around the farm...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!