iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood thieves

Started by leonardo, February 05, 2018, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonardo

i'm an absentee landowner.  have been processing firewood for sale and to give to my partially disabled brother for his wood stove.  started about 1985.  usually have 10-20 cords split and stacked on pallets.  never lost a stick in all this time til this year.  lost about a car trunk's worth a month ago.  last week disaster.  3-4 cords gone, plus they turfed and rutted the pasture area that is more like a lawn since i mow it regularly.  i knew i was on borrowed time, just never figured i could go 33 years til i got nicked.  next project is to put up gates or cables at the two entrances.  darned thieves!

york

Look for a spot to put a trial cam....got mine at field and stream..Bushnell,works good..
Albert

Crusarius

paint the ends of the wood so you can find it?

DelawhereJoe

I would also think about multiple cameras, no trespassing signs and gates that can't just be unbolted to bypass them. Nothing worse then finding your gate locked but unbolted and moved out of the way. They will also have plenty of time on there hands to make a way to get past your gates, just something else to think about....I also remember someone hiding a shotgun blank in some firewood that was constantly being stolen, not that I recommend this due to them trying to sue you for bodily harm from there stolen merchandise.......but they never had it stolen again.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

red

Put up a sign take all u want, some pieces have dynamite
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

GAB

30 caliber shells embedded in the wood work real good.
It burnt a house down after the stove exploded.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

starmac

We used to have a lot of trouble with christmas trees at some areas of the ranch. Strung a cable after dark across the road between two big spruce trees. By daylight one tree had been cut down and the cable gone.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

jmur1

Its a crappy feeling when you discover someone has helped themselves to your stuff.  I had many break-ins and thefts over the years.  Finally I found the one deterrent that seems to work well for me. 

They are quite friendly.... or did I mean to say friendly to me!

Last guy that broke in lost part of his pants to the shepherd.  He was working his way around the yard stealing keys out of all the vehicles.  Bolt cutter to all locks but got interrupted mid plan.  (Not sure what the hell the plan was???) 

Cant say I feel too bad about his pants - you try to find replacement key for a 1974 Cockshutt tractor!.
That was about 8 years ago now - nothing new since then.
Easy does it

Blue Noser

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I have never had firewood stolen in the sense that it was physically removed form the site, but I did have someone a few years back who decided to have a campfire using some of my piled firewood.

rank

Hide some diamond harrows (drags) in the grass with the points facing up.

bluthum

The idea of booby trapping the wood with explosives appeals to me but with my luck the thieves would be selling it as legit to the orphanage or some such.....

GAB

Quote from: jmur1 on February 06, 2018, 03:39:31 AM
Its a crappy feeling when you discover someone has helped themselves to your stuff.  I had many break-ins and thefts over the years.  Finally I found the one deterrent that seems to work well for me. 

Last guy that broke in lost part of his pants to the shepherd.  He was working his way around the yard stealing keys out of all the vehicles.  Bolt cutter to all locks but got interrupted mid plan.  (Not sure what the hell the plan was???) 

Cant say I feel too bad about his pants - you try to find replacement key for a 1974 Cockshutt tractor!.

Sounds like word got around to the theft community real fast.
Did you end up with the bolt cutters?
Maybe you need to consider raising some replacement pups.
Dog food might be cheaper than cleaning up after thieves.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pineywoods

Booby trapping the wood could lead to some serious legal problems. BUT, find pieces of wood with borer holes, pack the holes with black powder......What booby trap  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Autocar

Put a bunch of nails though a 1x10 and lay it down in your drive way grassy area ect. Give them a few flats and you will find out who they are.  Better yet set a five gallion can of gas and let them steal the gas about twice then switch it to diesel a farmer friend had problems with gas thieves so he reversed the fuel tanks and a few days later some young boys had there pickup truck at the local repair shop getting the fuel pumped out .
Bill

jmur1

Quote from: GAB on February 08, 2018, 10:05:30 AM
Quote from: jmur1 on February 06, 2018, 03:39:31 AM

Sounds like word got around to the theft community real fast.
Did you end up with the bolt cutters?
Maybe you need to consider raising some replacement pups.
Dog food might be cheaper than cleaning up after thieves.
Gerald

No bolt cutters left behind - but the padlocks were missing (along with keys out of 2 tractors and 2 lawnmowers)
Your probably right - a replacement shift will be needed soon - my security system is aging quick!
Easy does it

Dave Shepard

My great - grandfather had trouble with someone stealing gas out of the pump behind the house. He locked the pump and put a gas can full of water next to the pump. Car found on driveway next morning.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kwill

I like the gun powder idea.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Logging logginglogging

Happened to a guy here a few years back.
He hollowed out a few chunks and filled em with gun powder.... and marked them so he wouldent get them
Found the thief a few weeks later.

r.man

Fellow here was losing gas, he left a can with a bit of gas on top of the water so it would pass a smell or splash test. Young lads car backfired all the way through town.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

doctorb

I would be very careful considering any type of trap or explosive.  Yes, these thieves need to be caught and taught a lesson, and it's nice to think about repaying them in kind.  But If they're injured from your trap, you'll pay, and pay dearly.  Lock your gates and fields.  Put your stuff where they can't see it, use cameras and prosecute them.  Slower and more expensive to you, and without the sweetness of revenge we all sometimes seek, but with no risk of financial hardship to you or permanent injury to them.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

starmac

In a lot of places turning them in to the authorities would men little, and maybe even nothing.
That said no matter how sweet it would be to fill a stick with black powder and blow the door off of their woodstove, how bad would you feel if their 2 year old kid was sitting in front of it, or they had sold it to an elderly couple and it burnt there house down??

As good as it sounds, it is not the answer.

Logging logginglogging

I do believe the guy that did that got in trouble.

Chop Shop

Bullets don't just blow up houses!

Otherwise you would hear about LOTS of firemen deaths from exploding SAFES.

Just old urban myths.

Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter: What Happens When Ammo Burns? - SAAMI - YouTube

LeeB

What about reloading supplies? Surely a can of powder or box of primers would be a different situation.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

You don't store powder in a metal container for a reason, standard is a wood box with a loose lid, uncontained powder will just burn, it doesn't blow and is not even classed as an explosive, unless it is black powder.

Loaded ammo does pop, but like anything, it takes the path of least resistance, The brass is what flies and causes little damage.

Peter Drouin

How about drill a hole in a peace and put in some stuff that will stink the high heaven when burned. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

coxy

r.man

Oh I really like the smelly wood idea, it works on so many levels. What stinks but is not dangerous when heated? I used to have a game camera watching the entrance to my vacant property. One day I had vandalism and when I went to retrieve the memory card I found my camera missing. I miss my camera.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

starmac

SARDINES, and that stink is going to be there a while.

GAB

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 03, 2018, 01:40:49 PM
How about drill a hole in a peace and put in some stuff that will stink the high heaven when burned. ;D
What do you have in mind?
The only thing I can think of is sugar, but I do not know if it would be smelt outside of the stove, or furnace.
Gerald

submarinesailor

How about taking out a plug and replacing it with a small plastic (air tight) container filled with this:  Moccasin Joe Skunk Scent | Sportsman's Warehouse When the container melts, the oil leaks out and hopefully it will smell (very badly) outside the stove.

I now it works if it poured into an AC fresh air intake.  Don't ask.......I know nothing. :D :D :D :D ::)

Bruce

GAB

Peter Drouin

I don't know GAB, Just an idea.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Had a problem with a firewood thief in PA 30 years ago. Moron was quite predictable and always took from the same corner of the pile, even when i filed it back in. After the third time, I took an nice three inch log home, Drilled the end with a spade bit and inserted two M80's. Wound up to be a couple people that just became seasonal that year. Could hardly keep from wetting my pants when i heard the log blow at about 10:30 on a saturday night and hear his wife yell to get the hose, because the hot coals were all over their awning and burning lots of nice holes in it. Never had another piece of wood stolen again. Things got pretty uncomfortable for them in the campground after being branded as thieves and they wound up forefitting the balance of their season rent and pulled out. One thing i cant stand is a thief.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

starmac

One of the most memorable whuppins I got in my youth, was for inserting several of the old cigarette loads in one of dads smokes. He happened to be driving in traffic when he pulled that one out and lit it, it really did look like something you would see in an old cartoon when he turned around to look at me with what was left of the cigarette in his mouth, but the laughing was short lived.

Woodcutter_Mo

You could bore out a fair size hole in a piece of the firewood and fill it with wax from a strong scented candle of your choice. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Raider Bill

Quote from: starmac on March 07, 2018, 07:31:45 PM
One of the most memorable whuppins I got in my youth, was for inserting several of the old cigarette loads in one of dads smokes. He happened to be driving in traffic when he pulled that one out and lit it, it really did look like something you would see in an old cartoon when he turned around to look at me with what was left of the cigarette in his mouth, but the laughing was short lived.
I did the same thing to my Dad's cigar ONCE. I got a closed fist back hand and a few kicks while i was trying to get back on my feet to run.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!