iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted: good old fried chicken recipie,

Started by jjmk98k, March 21, 2005, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Plain and simple, I want a good recipie for some good old fried chicken. I have a real HEAVY old HEAVY iron HEAVY big HEAVY skillet ( a Griswold) and would love to make some knock-out chicken in it.

I like fried chicken that has that crispy spicy crunchy outer crust....

Come on fellas, I am not asking about GRITS... we're talking fried chicken here!

help me!

PS: with grits on the side... and country gravy.... and some fried taters and onions.....

dinner time yet?

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

DanG

I like to keep things simple.  I just season the pieces to taste...I like salt and lemon pepper,  shake it in a bag of flour and fry it in peanut or canola oil.  The oil needs to be deep enough to reach over half way up on the bigger pieces.  That's just the way I do it, and I ain't had many complaints.  There's a kazillion other ways that's good, too.  If ya want it a little crispier, roll it in beaten egg before flouring.

Now, the real secret to good fried chicken isn't found in the kitchen.  Ya gotta find a bird that wasn't raised in a factory farm.  They are packed with steroids and hormones, and are bred only to grow fast.  Ya just gotta find a better source than the big grocery stores.  Over here in Greensboro, there's  a Mexican store, run by a bunch of Hindus in a  Black neighborhood. ::)  I don't know where they get their chickens, but they are the best frying chickens I've found in many years.  I hope they don't change.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

You know what i really miss, it's he pullybone.  It's a lost art knowing how to cut up a chicken correctly around here.  Now don't get me wrong, when Kim cuts em up and fry's em they're real good.  When she bakes em with lemon pepper they're real good.  When she boils em and makes dumplins or dressing they're EXTRA good.  It's just that neither her, or I know how to cut em up so the pieces come out right.  I KNOW they's a wishbone up in them chickens somewhere, at least back years ago they USED to be.  We just don't know how to cut em up to find it! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

jjmk98k

DanG,

I know what you mean about finding "good chicken" .  About how hot do you get the oil before dropping the chicken in?

It's hard to find farm fresh chicken but when I do, I buy as much of the all natural bird as I can. There is a huge difference in taste from the farm raised one to the mass produced bird.

your recipie sounds quite good, but I think I'll add a little sage to your spice combination......I think I'll try that one this weekend.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Corley5

Last fall while staying at Dee's aunt and uncle's in SD we had farm raised chicken.  It was the first I'd had in years, maybe even decades ::) and it was the best chicken I've had in recent memory 8) 8) 8) 8) 8).  Probably since I had farm fresh chicken last and I'm not even sure when that was ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

I never checked the temp, except to sprinkle a bit of flour in it to see how it sizzles. ::)  Low-tech, that's me! :D :D  When frying fish, I drop a kitchen match in the grease. When the match light's off, its ready to cook. ;D  That works for chicken, too, but the grease needs to be deep enough to float the pieces, or you'll scorch the bottom.

The sage sounds good. Sometimes I'll use garlic salt instead of regular, along with the lemon pepper.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Want extra crispy?  I dip the pieces in beaten egg then in the flour/seasoning combination, then in the beaten egg and then in crushed (really crushed) corn flakes.  Deep fry using DanG's method with the floating chicken.   :D
Say when

fstedy

:) ;D :D Here's a recipe I developed over the years tastes great. Cut up your chicken then mix up enough buttermilk seasoned with some garlic powder,salt, cayenne pepper (go easy it gets hot real fast) and parsley marinate it for several hours in the fridge. Mix up some flour with the same seasonings as the marinade and coat the chicken. Fry in about 3/4" of oil until browned then finish it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes until done. It comes out great and doesn't get burned as when you fry it completely done in the pan. Serve with some Hot sauce MMMMMM good.  :D ;D :)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Haytrader

I always skin mine. Hate the skin left on.
I use what I call egg wash, which consists of milk and beaten egg.
Dip the skinless chicken peices in the eggwash (both sides) and then roll in flour.
Now do the double dip.........back in the egg wash and repeat the flour.
Place peices not touching in 3/4" of oil (just hot enough to sizzle) and season to taste (I like salt and pepper). Let cook till you start to see golden brown on the edges and turn over cooking till done.
Haytrader

jjmk98k

Well alrighty then, I was going to wait and try making some this weekend, but plans have changed and I am cooking tonight!

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYS

DanG,

Any trade secrets for making fried Okra? When I was stationed in Arizona I fell in love with that stuff!

Jim

DanG

Well, ackshully, I never fried any okra.  Not that I don't like the stuff, but that just ain't my favorite way of eatin' it.  I like it steamed, or cooked on top of some butterbeans.  Favorite is stewed in a skillet with onion and tomatoes and just a little bacon grease.

One of my ex-wives, can't remember which, ;D  used to make okra fritters.  She'd make a batter of some sort with cut okra in it, and fry spoon-sized blobs of it.  It was good,  but I guess it wasn't good enough, if ya know what I mean. :D :D :D

Tom

Heavy batter is a new thing to me.   We were raised on fried stuff pretty much fixed like DanG does.  A little cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper (and a secret ingredient, cayenne) in a paper sack and shake your "stuff" in it until coated.   Then into the hot grease till browned and done.   None of that "almost" done stuff like the chefs talk about today, our "stuff" was cooked.

Man!  If it's one thing I can't stand, it's to bite into a piece of fried chicken and have to pull the meat off of the bone only to find that there are  wet, red, strands of uncooked meat still adhered to it.   Yechh!
I'll get up from the table in a hurry.

Same for fish too.  Sushi just isn't in my cookbook.

Now, about that cayenne.  You don't put much in there.  Just a little dusting.  Folks aren't supposed to be able to identify it, not even taste it.  They are just supposed to know there is something different there.   It'll brighten up the taste buds.  Just don't try to burn them out. :D

DanG

Well, it seems I'm a shut-in today, 'cause the weather absolutely stinks.  Guess I'll just set here and talk about country cookin'. ;D

I don't normally put the seasonings in the flour or meal, simply because it takes too much to get the flavor right.  I end up throwing too much of it away. 

I like to fry stuff in real deep grease, and have always done so, until recently.  Ya see, my wife, light of my life, soul-mate, and permanent partner, Linda :) has this little hang-up about re-using cooking oil.  It gets use ONCE here, and that's that.  I just can't stand the notion of using $5 worth of peanut oil to cook a two dollar chicken, so I have to use shallow grease. :-\  The end product ain't near as good, but that's a small price to pay for an otherwise blissful existance.

I like to try different things, too.  A couple of years ago I was cooking up a mess of collards and found that I didn't have any seasoning meat. :o :-[ :'(  I just squirted some olive oil in there instead, and DanGed if it weren't good!  A whole lot healthier, too, I imagine. :)

Bibbyman

I skimmed over the suggestions and didn't see two main things you need for great fried chicken..

A good old iron skillet – Griswold, preferably,
And LARD.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

asy

Well, since we are sharing...  Here's my favourite fried chicken recipes:

1: Chicken Kiev a-la-asy ;D

Use skinned breast fillets.

Firstly make some garlic butter up, use about a teaspoon of butter for each chicken breast, add some Garlic Butter (to taste, if ya like garlic put lots in), a little pepper if you like it, and some mixed herbs. Put this in the freezer while you get the rest ready.

Now lay out your crumb bowls. First bowl with cornflower, second bowl with one egg for every 2-3 chicken breasts, and double that volume of milk, and the third bowl with breadcrumbs (but my favourite is to use Corn Flake Crumbs! yummm)

Take the chicken fillet, lay it down in front of you, then make a pocket through the side of the thickest bit with a sharp knife. Take a teaspoon of the cold butter and push it into the breast, try not to get any butter on the 1/4in or so closest to the edge of the chicken coz then you push the edges back together and they sorta stick, now you have the butter inside the chicken breast. (Take care not to cut right through the chicken!)

Then coat the chicken fillets in the cornflower, then the egg mix then the crumbs.

Now, make sure the oil is hot in your frypan. I always use olive oil (and I'm with DanG's lady, I only EVER use oil once!). Fry both sides until they are cooked, but be careful turning them, you don't want to open up the pockets...

If you have really thick chicken pieces, fry them till the outside is golden brown then lay them on baking trays and finish them off in the oven...  (Don't burn the outside to cook the middles!!!).

AND #2:

Fried Chookfoot.  (As my kids call it) 

They say it's better than KFC, but I don't think they actually remember what KFC tastes like since I don't think they've had it in more than 5 years...

Use Chicken Drumsticks.

Mix together:

Parmesan Cheese, Pepper, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder and finely crushed macadamia nuts.

Coat the drumsticks in the mix and cook them in a little oil, turning till they are well done. (can't have half cooked chicken!).

This mix also works well on Flake. But I have even better recipes for that...  lol

HAVE FUN!!!

Hey Moderators, we need a Country Cookin' section!!!  Come on guys! Who agrees?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Tom

The knowledge Base is a work in progress.  Check out the "Forum Extras".

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?Food!

jjmk98k

Iron skillet, griswold....check!
farm raised chicken....check! ( local grocery store carries all natural chicken, not as fresh as buying from a local farmer, but it's hormone free, grain fed and free roaming.

I was going to fry some tonight, but ran out of time before it was time for dinner, so some other night this week.

I agree we need a country cooking thing....

ON A SIDE NOTE.

for the last three years we have been buying our milk from a local dairy ( 15 miles away or 35 stoplights, however you want to look at it)

This milk is from cows that are fed all natural hormone free feed. This milk is so DanG good , even the 2% stuff...... and we like supporting a local farm, a rarity around here anymore.

when we run out and buy some "emergency milk" from the store.... YUK!!!! HUGE taste difference......

Jim

ohsoloco

Ima gettin' real hungry reading about all this fried chicken!  I just thought I'd jump in here on a coupla points.  CK, if'n you get the food network on the TV, you should check out a show called Good Eats.  Alton does an episode about making fried chicken, and he also shows you how to cut up a whole chicken the right way...he even uses a big T-rex fossil puzzle to show you what joints he's cutting  :D  Watched that episode a coupla times, but would still need the tutorial to cut up my own chicken  ::)   

fstedy also mentioned something about a soak in buttermilk.  I've heard (on the same fried chicken show) that an overnight soak in buttermilk is preferred, b/c the acid or enzymes or whatever in the buttermilk break something else down in the chicken...geez, I'm even losing myself on this one  :D   Anyway, buttermilk is good for the chicken. 

DanG

I'm tryin' ta respond here, but having trouble.  Jim got me ta thinkin' bout fried chicken, so I went down to tha Black neighborhood to tha Hindu/Mexican store and got the last chicken they had.  I done fried up his pore dead butt and am gnawing on his carcass as I type. ;D ;D  I fixed up some nice white rice and some gravy and some cathead biscuits and some mustard greens to go along with it.  I'm having a great time.  Thanks, Jim! ;D
:D :D :D

asy

Quote from: DanG on March 22, 2005, 10:51:51 PM
I  I fixed up some nice white rice and some gravy and some cathead biscuits

Ooooookay....

So now, I know GRITS aren't made of GRIT (although some may say...)

But...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE tell me     CATHEAD      Biscuits aren't a new product from the   CFI...

CKTate, could you confirm!????

smiley_eek_dropjaw      smiley_eek_dropjaw      smiley_eek_dropjaw      smiley_eek_dropjaw      smiley_eek_dropjaw

jjmk98k

DanG,

I am glad I was able to aid in raising your cholesterol for today!  

The way I see it, if you don't like to eat fried chicken, you're either

1. a chicken
2. a communist

Asy,
those recepies sound pretty darn good as well. I'll have to give them a shot as well!
Jim

DanG

I'm back on-line after the last line of storms has past. That's about the fourth time today I've had to bail out and unplug!

asy, rest yer purty little mind, child.  You ever seen a old yeller tabby tom cat?  Notice how his ol' head is shaped? Sorta round, yet sorta flat, eh?  Well, that's what a cathead biscuit is shaped like.  They's just regular biscuits that's been shaped by hand, rather than bein' rolled out and cut with a glass or coffee cup, or sumpthin.

Charles, that chicken I bought was already cut up, and it had a pulley-bone piece.  Linda took it to work when she left a little while ago.  I don't know if she wanted to eat it, or just show it off to the rest of the hired help. ???

etat

Ain't ever seen a bought chicken of any kind with the pully bone piece.  Sure wish that store was closer to here.

Assy, there's been a BIG contoversy about biscuits around here over the years.  Tell ya the truth, I'd done bout give up.  Lots of folks tried to tell my wife how to make biscuits over the years, but the problem was most folks didn't know how to tell her how much of everything to put in.  Mostly it was a pinch of this and so much of this and made it all confusing for her.  EVERY morning they was liable to be different.  Sometimes good, mostly good, but always different.

Bibbyman saved me from a lifetime of crapshoot biscuits.  He posted a recipe here a while back of ProSawyer Mary's biscuits with exact ingrediants.  I think it's on a thread in behind the forum.  Kim signed on the other day to thank him for saving me from a lifetime of the crapshoot biscuits.  I urged her to do so I was so happy!  She was too!!!!!!!!! :)

Sorry to say we had to completely liquidate and hide the assets to CFI.  It's now only a memory, abet it a good one, other than the odd warehouse here and there we stashed stuff in. .  We DO however have a new company in the works selling  GENUINE FORTY-SEVEN THOUSAND MILLION  YEAR OLD, opps, that's all I better say about that here in public! ;D

I guess I been dragging my feet on it just a bit cause I been so busy.  I figure I'll introduce it to the public this summer when It's mostly dried up everywhere else and I'll introduce the world to the real thing. Pretty confident that it's going to make everyone involved 'filthy' ;D rich!

Check the full membership board, Business Opportunity, Ideas and Investors Wanted! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

asy

What did you do with all the chickens left over from CFI??!??

Or is Becky a happy horse?!?!

I'm gonna go find Pro-sawyer Mary's biscuit recipe because this 'biscuit' think fascinates me.

Here in Aus, Biscuits are sweets, eaten with a cup of tea or coffee...  (as per your 'cookies')

I understand you guys eat yours with savoury things too???

How odd!!!

jj, those recipes ARE good. I'd be happy to demonstrate should you happen to be over here in Oz.  :D

jjmk98k

Asy,

`the lady in my life has been wanting to go there for years, so maybe one day I'll take you up on that offer!

Jim

asy

Quote from: jjmk98k on March 23, 2005, 07:49:29 AM
Asy,

`the lady in my life has been wanting to go there for years, so maybe one day I'll take you up on that offer!

It's no idle offer. You'd be more than welcome!

DanG

asy, I keep forgetting we have a language barrier.  It almost seems that you're speaking English, most of the time. ;) ;D :D :D :D  I don't know what you would call what we call a biscuit, since you've wasted the term on cookies. ::)

Charles, have you tried the frozen biscuits they have now?  I use'em all the time. They're so easy, and you can bake exactly how many you want.  That may be the only item in the Walmart Super Center that ain't made in China.  ::)

etat

DanG, I really can't say that we've ever done bought any of them froze biscuits.   At least probably not in 18 or 20 years or so.  And for some reason, I HATE going into that walmart super center.  Even though we've got em at all the towns surrounding us.  Heck, up there in New Albany is a main Walmart Distribution Center that they built a few years ago where they get all that foreign stuff in, unload and stack it, and then mix it up with other stuff to send out to all the stores.  Anyways, I HATE going into them Walmarts.  It seems I tend to find and spend money on stuff up in there that I'd a probably not even thought about I needed or even spent the money on if I hadn't a went in there in the first place.  ::)

asy

Quote from: cktate on March 23, 2005, 10:46:57 AM
It seems I tend to find and spend money on stuff up in there that I'd a probably not even thought about I needed or even spent the money on if I hadn't a went in there in the first place.  ::)

Y'know I often wish that we'd get one day in our lives to reverse stupid purchases.

Like, one full 24 hour period where we sit in something like a Virtual Reality machine and ALL our possessions, past and present are paraded past, and we can hit a "KEEP" or "TOSS" button.

Everything we toss out, we get that $$ credited to our bank accounts...

Everyone gets to pick the day they choose... 

Just one day.   Tomorrow's good for me...  :D

I try to do that when I shop. I think, Would I wish I could take this back in a year's time.

Doesn't always work....   :-[   But I am trying...

(andrew says I'm very trying)

DanG

Charles, m'boy!  You ain't gotta go to Wally World to gettem. They're in any old grocery store these days.  What it is, is just regular ol' biscuit dough, just like yer Mama made, all rolled out and cut into little circles, then froze and poked into a plastic bag.  I've only been see'in them around for a couple or four years.  Look in the frozen food section of your favorite IGA and give'em a try.

jjmk98k

DanG, I know those biscuit you speak of, thay are pretty darn good....

Jim

beenthere

All this talk about fried chicken, got to me today. While at the grocery (Piggly Wiggly around here) this afternoon, I told my dear wife that I was hungry for fried chicken. She rolled her eyes a bit.
I picked up 5 thighs, and came home with some of your thoughts and recipies in mind. I messed up two eggs, poured crisco oil in the fry pan, mixed flour and spices. Trimmed the thighs, egged em good, and floured them. Fried til brown one side, turned them, and covered. Poured the egg batter in another small omlet pan, and fried that (appetizer!).
Dear wife boiled some potatoes and made thick chicken gravy.
I don't know how many years it's been since tasting good fried chicken, but tonight was fantastic.
A fry pan going in our kitchen is a real rarity. I may have just changed that tonight.  ;D
Next time will add the DanG biscuits thanks to DanG.

Thanks to you all, and this thread.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Glad to hear you had a positive poultry experience, Beenthere. 8)  I try to do that about twice a week. ;D

Furby

beenthere

Furby
Been trying to find the time to put a 'trip report' together, and in summary, it was 'fantastic'. Especially the first 5 weeks.
Then an incident, while 'off-roading', caused by a big 'bump' in the road, put my dear wife in the hospital with a fractured vertebrae. The seatbelt didn't hold her in the seat, and she crashed into the headliner and smacked back into the seat.  Scheduled for surgery, but the surgeon said he wanted to try a brace for 3 months.  In short, she is doing very well considering what it could have been. This happened in rural eastern AZ and we ended up back in Scottsdale, AZ for 10 days, 6 of them waiting for the approval of the Dr. to fly her home (we did enjoy the 75° weather that week however). I followed the plane home in the car (on the ground ;) ).
Home now a couple weeks and with her full body brace, we are getting along pretty DanG good.
I'll try to put together a short monologue of the first, glorious 5 weeks. Almost managed to see Frank_Pender, but that didn't work out for us.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

Hiya beenthere...

Read your last post and I really feel for your wife...  I've been there...   ::)

I have an awfully bad back compounded by full body arthritis which is mainly in my spine... 

It's not fun.

I hope she comes good, and doesn't require surgery...

Am sure thinking of her.

Oh, and, I'm glad the chicken was good!   Next time, try coating it in cornflour before you put the egg on, it helps the egg stick to the chicken and will give you a crispier crust.  ;D

Furby

WOW, really sorry to hear about your wife!
Hope she's back on her feet soon.

Will be looking for you trip story, but no hurry as you have other things to attend too. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!