iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HAPPY EASTER ...that means FOOD! What y'all eatin' in your neck of the woods?

Started by Paschale, March 23, 2005, 05:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Inlaws over (the good ones)
roast chook 8)
roast parsnips 8)
cauliflower :)
peas & sweetcorn 8)
carrots 8)
yorkshires 8)
new & roast potatoes 8)
strawberry trifle 8) 8)
apple gallette :)
easter nests 8)
red wine for the adults ;)
fat over stuffed people on the sofas :D

DanG

Great looking recipe, Roxie! 8)

For a quick and easy variation, you can make pretty good dumplings from flour tortillas.  Just cut them in strips and drop'em in. ;D  We be lazy around here, but we like to eat good. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

WOW, thanks for the Recipe Roxie. Anything you need from down this way, just ask. 8) ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Roxie

Just knowing that you enjoyed your Chicken and Dumplings is all the thanks I need!   ;)
Say when

Tom

Asy,

A Spiral ham is a commercially prepared ham that has been put through a knife as it spins such that it is cut to the bone from hock to butt.  the spiral is about 1/8 to 1/4 apart so that when served one only has to make one cut length-wise on the ham and remove the slices. from the bone.

Collards

These are a cousin of Kale and are a staple in the Southern states of the USA.  Collards are cheap, healthy, broad leaves that are boiled with smoked ham-hocks.  In the older recipes they are cooked for long periods of time.  The newer generation thinks that cooking removes nutrients and only cook vegetables until they begin to lose their crispness.  I belong to the old school.

Collards, Mustards and Turnips are known in the "South" as "Greens".  They are one of many foods that Southerners are identified with and fall into the same catagory as "Grits" in this regard.

sawguy21

:D :D :D Roxie and asy, those were priceless. Celery sticks with creamed cheese and small brussel sprouts (not the big tough ones) smothered in gravy. MMM HMMMM
Don't think I want to hang around Norm's place on a weekend. Doesn't sound good for my health ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Good explanation of Collard greens, Tom.  But ya fergot ta mention pot likker. ;D  Maybe ya was just savin' something fer me ta say, eh?

I think it is probably true that long cooking times removes some of the nutrients from the greens.  These goodies don't go away, but are dispersed into the cooking water.  We call this "pot likker" and it is some kinda good!  Sometimes I'll put it in a coffee mug and drink it straight.  That'll warm yer innards on a cold day better'n anything!  The best way, though is in a bowl with cornbread crumbled in it.  I could live off of that stuff. ;D :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

AH-h-h-h  Yes.   Pot Likker!    The savory desert liquid of a meal of Greens.  Good for Arthritis, lumbago, sore feet and depression.   Drink it hot in a cup with your  meal, crumble cornbread in it for an in-between filler waiting for desert and heat it up later for a hot nutricious drink while sitting on the porch watching the kids play in the dirt.  I love Pot Likker too, Dang.    It's a meal in itself. ;D

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Timber_Framer

QuoteThe best way, though is in a bowl with cornbread crumbled in it.  I could live off of that stuff.

Awh man! I haven't even heard the words potlikker much less had any since I left texas :'(
I gotta find me some greens and a ham bone 8)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

DanG

Gotcha! ;D :D  The good news is, Collards will grow most anywhere, and you can find a hambone in most any ol' pig. 8)

Weekend_Sawyer

My Oldest Brother Dorrance (63) and famly are bringing  a pot of greens.

Brother Henry (61) and famly are baking a ham, not the spiral, I prefer regular.

Brother Karl (48) and famly are bringin ogratten potatoes (probably out of a box).

Brother Chris (46), bachelor is bringing his appatite.

And I (44) Youngest and prettyest am supplying the location, my house which we all grew up in, those of us that grew up, and the Black Eyed Peas and Rice.

We will also make tomatoe gravy and have pie and icecream.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

MSU_Keith

Traditional Polish:  8) 8) 8)

Kielbasa
Pierogi (Stuffed Fried Dumplings)
Gowabki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Nalesniki (Fruit Crepes)
Ogorkowa (Dill Pickle Soup)
Kolacky (Butter Pastries)

A weekend of cooking for 45 minutes of eating :)

Buzz-sawyer

Tom/Dang Aint ya'll forgetting something...POKE GREENS..............southern staple from leaves of poke weed plant. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

iain

woodchopper

Happy Easter Everyone!!!!

I think the overall weight of the Forum will go up a few pounds this weekend with all the great recipes and food being prepared. Here at the house we will dine on traditional turkey and Mom's cornbread dressing recipe that I was smart enough to get before she died... ( she had never written it down in the 60 some odd years she had prepared it - always by taste and how it looked. 

We will have our main treat  in early April when we fly to Okinawa to see our son and his wife and our grandchildren.... yippee...

Now ya'll don't eat too much........................
We don't get older -  we just get better!

Paschale

Hey Woodchopper,

How about passing on that cornbread stuffing recipe of your mom's?  I love recipes from the old school, especially when it's historically been a case of doing it until it's "just right."  That's a sign of someone who knows how to cook...and it was probably passed down by your grandmother.  Sure would love a shot at trying her cornbread stuffing sometime!   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Yeah, Buzz, lots of folks eat poke salad, but I ain't one of'em.  They grow right here in my yard, but I've never tasted them.  Maybe I should, sometimes, eh?

Weekend-Sawyer-Jon,  I sure would like to have that tomato gravy recipe. ;D  If all the recipe requests on this thread get filled, we'll have enough for a ForestryForum cookbook. :D :D

Norm

Boy oh boy I'd be in second heaven if you folks would put some of these recipes in the knowledge section or right on here for that matter. Kolacky, tomato gravy, cornbread stuffing and the list would go on if my fingers weren't cramping up. ;D

I'm with Paschale, the old traditional family recipes are the best. I especially like the ones from the south, we tend to get more of the old European recipes here (not that there's anything wrong with them either). I loveeeeeee ethnic recipes I've never tried before.

Buzz-sawyer

DanG
i was always leery cause I heard that parts of the plant are poison.....maybe the berries.........or the leaves at a certain age???? :o :o :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

tnlogger

Buzz a very good point there  ;D i kow where i'll be tommow going to the boys and find me some poke salad it should be up by now  :)
gene

DanG

I always heard ya had to boil'em twice.  The first time get's the poison out.  Ya drain off that water and start over. ???  I think I'll just stick with collards and mustards. :)

tnlogger

DanG you pic only the real young shoots but i boil em twice to get rid of the bitter taste.
real good with back bone and corn bread. :D
gene

asy

Quote from: MSU_Keith on March 25, 2005, 11:20:31 AM
Traditional Polish:  8) 8) 8)

Kielbasa
Pierogi (Stuffed Fried Dumplings)
Gowabki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Nalesniki (Fruit Crepes)
Ogorkowa (Dill Pickle Soup)
Kolacky (Butter Pastries)

A weekend of cooking for 45 minutes of eating :)

Oooh, a mash gowabki dla mnie tesh?    :D  Nie, dai nalesniki, ili pierogi...  Ah, no, tso zrobizh?... Zyesh niemnoske dla mnie, OK? :D

Yer making me homesick  :(

I wrote a HUGE long post for this thread last night, but then my computer crashed and I lost it, so I gave up and went to bed...  I'll have another go...

Since we are all sharing, I'll share my (and Andrew's) favourite meal...

These two are not too shabby cooked together...  :D

ASY'S SUPER LAMB SHANKS
[/color]

Use 3 lamb shanks per person, but I usually do a minimum of a dozen (cos they are great reheated). Ask the butcher to "French Cut" them, which releases the tendon, and makes the meat cook more tender. It also makes them shorter since he cuts part of the bone away, and you can fit more in the Roasting dish. (But my roasting dishes are HUGE..  lol).

Turn the oven on to about 220C  (about 428F).

In a heavy frypan, heat up about 3 tbs of olive oil (a large slurp), add to this half a head of chopped garlic, some pepper and mixed herbs.
Now, Cut up about 250g bacon, and chop one large onion. Fry these in the olive oil mix until the onion is transparent. Then add one tin of condensed Tomato Soup (I use Heinz "Big Red"), and about 4 HEAPED Tablespoons of Concentrated Tomato Paste (We call it "Leggo tomato paste"), and add some paprika powder if you like it. When this is warmed through, add about a tablespoon of raw sugar to cut the acidity of the tomato (This also helps the mix caramelise on the meat, but you can leave this out if you have sugar issues).

Now, When this mix is brought to the boil, that's it, it's ready. Arrange all the shanks in your baking dish so that they are relatively even, you don't want any with pokey-outey bits or they might burn. Pour the tomato mix over the top and use your spoon to mix it all around the meat.

Lay foil over the top of the baking dish and Put this in the oven while you organise the next bit.

THE VEGGIES:
[/color]

This is dead easy.

Take any really good roasting veggies and cut them into cubes with about 1/2in sides.

I use:

Carrots (Don't bother peeling, just top and tail)
Potato (I use "Desiree" variety, and I don't peel them, just cut out icky bits)
Sweet potato, the orange variety, peeled!
Kumera (A NZ originated sweet potato, white with a purple skin. It's VERY good for bowel health!)
Pumpkin, I use JAP pumpkins coz they are sweet and yummy.
Onion, for this, I use baby brown onions and just cut them into quarters.

Then mix together about a half a cup of olive oil (depending on how many veggies you are making, half a cup does a whole BIG baking tray), with Freshly ground black pepper, Cayenne pepper, Mixed herbs, Garlic powder and onion flakes.

Pour this mix over the veggies in the pan, and using your hands, mix the oil through the veggies, rubbing it into them (the spoon just doesn't seem to do quite the same job!)

Now, the Garlic, take a whole head of garlic, use a VERY sharp knife and carefully cut the top off the head of garlic, exposing all the clove tops. Pour olive oil into the top of the Garlic (it doesn't take much) and just sit this in the corner of the veggie baking dish.

Then put this baking dish into the oven with the Lamb shanks, and turn the oven down to 180C (~350F). (The shanks should have been in the oven about half an hour by the time all the veggies are ready. Take the foil off the lamb at this stage.

Leave it all in the oven for about another 2 hours, the meat should be well cooked and just about falling off the bone by then. (you'll need to turn the meat over and stir the veg after about 1 hour.)

Serve by putting a couple of shanks on a plate with a heap of veg. Take the Garlic head out of the dish and using a small teaspoon, scoop the individual cloves out. They will be very soft, and if you put just two or three cloves on the side of each plate, they make a great spread for the meat. (If you have any roasted cloves left over, you can make a great garlic oil by putting them into a cup or so of olive oil and sealing it. This is great to fry steak in!).

The veggies are great next day, just throw them into a frypan with a tiny bit of olive oil, and reheat them. YUM. If you feel so inclined, once they are heated up, throw a couple of eggs over them and cook . mmmmm...   The shanks are great either reheated in the microwave, or pull the meat off and use it in a sandwich.

BUT WARNING!!!

This is what happens if you hang around my cooking too long:

(Andrew is the one on the right).

Hope you all have a very happy easter, and give this meal a try sometime. When you recover, and can move again, let me know how it went.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

I see why Andrew appears so happy after reading that recipe. Sounds like he is not struggling at all unless it is away from the dinner table 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!