iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

as I get older...... Is it just me....?

Started by jjmk98k, March 28, 2005, 09:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

I know I may be considered a spring chicken at 30 years old, but as i grow older and wiser, I notice a change in myself and how I handle life. Is it just me, or did you all at one time, see the change in yourself as you aged.... I am not not talking about sore backs and so on, we all can complain about that one!

But as i go through life,  I see that i.......

Pay more attention to living things. I used to be a avid hunter..err.. mass killer.
I used to shoot tree rats and chipmunks just to shoot 'em.  It used to be " I gotta kill something this year", now I just look forward to loading up the old .270 Bolt action and  to "taking my rifle for a walk, if a deer shows up, God wanted it that way"
Time spent around the campfire with my older brothers and cousins means more now than it ever did.

When I am up at my camp in North Central PA, I love to wake up very early, just as the sun's coming up..., get the coleman stove going and waiting for that old enamel perc pot to serve up its first cup of mountain coffee.... I sit back, watch the birds fly around, watch the dew dissappear......

If at line at the grocery, and a person with a few items gets behind me and my full cart , I usually let them skip ahead of me.

Ill wait and hold a door open for the elderly person, no matter how much of a hurry I am in.

Around here,  if you're not handicapped, but park in a handicapped spot, better be prepared for a butt chewing.... I have waited for over 30 minutes at a time just to chew out some snobby soccer mom. I stood there and asked her why she thinks shes so special that she had to use a handicapped spot when she's perfectly able to run into the store and come out with two bags of stuff.

I used to go "searching" for trouble on friday nights with my '88 Monte Carlo SS... now I look forward to those sunny sunday afternoons to take it to the lake and having a little picnic... or friday nights taking my squeeze to the dairy queen for a cone and conversation.....

I call my folks about every other day, just to say hello and to discuss the days evenets at work, me at the base working on planes, mom complains about the steel mill..... dad brags that he's retired..... just a simple 5 minute call....

wearing name brand clothes means nothing to me now... in my early 20's it was important, especially stuck around this Hel* called Philadelphia... if you wanted a date with anyone, you could not show up in flannel and jeans.... as I was accustomed to.

Now as I get older I care less about looks, more about functionality.

I see myself going back to my roots, more of a country bumpkin rather than a city slicker. I love running my saw on the weekend, splitting firewood the real way with a maul while listening to my John Denver CD.....wearing my dirty dickie jeans to the hardware store to get supplies for the days project. I sew my jeans when they get a hole in them, instead of folks who just rather buy a new pair. I shop for clearance things and not ashamed to say more than half of my wardrobe is clearance from Woolrich or cabelas.

give me fried chicken , cornbread and iced tea anyday over designer steaks and lobster.

yeah, I own a SUV.... more of a UTILITY, it's hauled firewood, stacks of 2x4's, mulch, bricks and seen mud quite often...... those old mud roads in the mountins looking for the right hunting spot.....

I hope this was not found to be boring, just want to know if I am alone in noticing a change as we all grow older..... wiser.

every day above ground is a good day...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Brad_S.

I think it's call "maturity". Stikes some people at an early age, never strikes others at all.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

etat

The hardest thing for me to do as I got older was to get ahold of my temper.  It used to flair up all the time, and get me in lots and lots of trouble.  There for years I was the  epidemy of the angry young man. I reckon I worked pretty dang hard at calming it down over the years.  Heck, I Still work hard at it.  If I don't it still wants to flair up.  I pretty much always stop a minute and think about what I'm going to say, before I let my mouth overload my a&&

Lots of folks pass me on the road these days.  I don't care, I like to drive slow and look at the world as I pass it by.  I'll strongly believe I'll get where I'm going, sooner or later.

Yep, I reckon I was in my 30's before I started looking at the world different.  Sure am glad I got there too. If I hadn't of I wouldn't of got here! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rockn H

Well I'm 33, and me and some friends were just laughing at how your perspectives change.  Seems like just yesterday it was hot rods and Friday nights.  Now its lawn mowers and Saturday mornings.  A friend of mine got a new Craftsman 42" with a 17hp briggs.  We all had to go have a look at it. :o  I can't tell you how important it seems now to just visit with the family and relax at the river camps with friends and family. ;)
To save time,  what cktate said dido. ;D

Phorester

Welcome to life over 25!

I remember being scared to death the night before my 30th birthday. Though it was the beginning of the end.  I woke up the next morning 30 years old and didn't feel any different than I felt the day before.  I said, shoot, this is no big deal!

I remember a few years ago, won't say how many, I broadsided a truck that had pulled out in front of me.  Driven by an 18 year old. When the policeman asked me how long I had been driving ( a normal question for accident investigation), I was shocked when I figured it up - 24 years at that point.  Wow!

I remember when I realized that I had worked for the Dept. of Forestry for 25 years.  Good Lord - a quarter of a century!  About the same time, people started asking me, when you gonna retire?  I just didn't feel old enough to be thinking about retirement.  (Still don't)

I remember when friends my age I'd known for decades suddenly began appearing with gray hair, or thin hair.  Then I'd look in the mirror......

I remember seeing people in the newspaper pictures looking so old, then seeing their age was same as mine.  Then I'd look in the mirror.......

I remember finally coming to terms with my time in Vietnam.  I realized it was just the times, and I had done the best I knew how to do. No regrets now.  Anybody who feels different about what I did there can kiss my a**.

I remember thinking I was going to live a long long time.  Then being diagnosed with cancer.  Then coming out of a year's worth of radiation, operation, chemotherapy.  That was 3 years ago.  And before that was over, breaking my hip in an accident.  Still had 4 weeks of chemotherapy to go!  Off work for 4 months.  Half days for 2 months.  Light duty for 2 years.   Darn fracture didn't heal until last December,  2 1/2 years after the accident.  Now once again  I feel like I will live for a long, long time.  (But will I?.........)

I've always been satisfied with the simple things, warm, comfortable clothes, a good hot cup of coffee, having a good time with my family or friends, just feeling good all over, no aches or pains.  Getting more like that every year.

Yessiree, life is good.  Enjoy the coffee. 

pigman

As we get older our priorities change. When I was a small child I always thought a certain toy would make  my life perfect. When I was 16 I thought if I had a date with a certain girl my life would be perfect. At 17 a certain car would make things perfect, that is if that certain girl was in it with me. ;D
When I got married I thought a new house would make things perfect.
I finally realized that any one thing would not make things perfect, it was all the little things.   Now since I am  a little past 40, I drive  slower so I can enjoy the view. I walk in the woods even though I don't hunt any more. I don't have much income anymore but since the children are grown, it doesn't seem important.  I suppose when I get older  my priorities will be  being able to hear my witch wife when she fusses at me for tracking saw dust in the house and having enough teeth to eat food. I have gotten older, but I am not sure I am wiser, I just have different priorties. :P

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

etat

pigman, ya may be getting older but I can tell, you still like living life dangerously!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

pigman

Charles, Look in Buzz's hippie thread and you will see why I did that. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

etat

yep, I seen it  and started to tell you there too cause I'm still  thinkin yer living life DANGEROUSLY!!!!!!!! ;D 8) 8)

Rockn H

Phorester, I hear people that's older than me a lot should try vitamins and lots and lots of calcium pills. ;D ;)

jjmk98k

Yes indeed, life is good. Funny thing how a few years changes a man.... this august I'll hit my 13 years in the Miliary, seems like only yesterday I left home with tear filled eyes..... off to basic training.....

now only 7 years till i finish my 20 and move on to something else, perhaps working for the forest or park service.....

Thanks for the posts guys, glad to see I am not alone, and thanks to you rockin H, you're probably the closest in age to me.........

But on the cars thing, cars now a days just are not as exciting as they used to be..... unless it has a 4Bbl on it, it's not old enough for me to google over...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Quartlow

yeah its amazing how your Prioroties change isn't it? Things that used to set me off just don't seem important any more, well ok some things still set me off  ;D Like CK though my temper is no where near as bad as it used to be. And like Pigman my income isn't that high, but you know what, who cares. the bills get paid every month the sawmill is there as is the woodshop.

Yeah life is good
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Norm

We were talking the other day about how good life is for us. The kids are grown up and out of college both have good jobs, takes a bunch of the pressure off of me. We work hard but enjoy it so it's not work it's fun for the most part. Like others my temper has moderated with age, I'm sure my sons would tell you I could be a hard a$$ at times. The walks in the woods down by the crick (yes that's the way it should be spelled) mean more to me than a vacation to the Bahamas. Sunday drives on the back roads looking at trees and wildlife, having somebody pass me thinking what's the hurry. Snuggling on the couch on Saturday night watching a movie.

Good subject Jim, made me enjoy this beautiful spring day just a little bit more. :)

OneWithWood

Knowledge can be gained from books.  Wisdom only comes through age and experience.  There is so much more to experience . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jjmk98k

My temper... as I get older and spend more time around the city ( again, just because of the job), my temper gets worse. People around here are just plain rude, some small exceptions, but all in all i dislike city folk and thier lack of common manners.

Thats why I look forward to my get-aways to camp, the one place my temper never shows.

I am hard on my step son, it's only becuase he's your typical kid, always trying to scam something.... I'll work him for hours and when it's all said and done, Ill take him out to get a ice cream and tell him, it's not about getting paid for doing work around the house, its the feeling of a job well done and having done your part.  He sits back, complains his arms hurt from splitting wood..... but says, "yeah, it does feel good to do your part"

It's not easy teaching a city ( suburb) kid country values, but I DanG sure am trying!
Jim

MemphisLogger

I'm hearin' y'all!  ;)

My favorute joe Walsh song used to be "Life's Been Good To Me So Far" but know his new song rings a bit more true . . .

"Ordinary Average Guy"

I'm just an ordinary average guy
My friends are all boring
And so am I
We're just ordinary average guys

We all live ordinary average lives
With average kids
And average wives
We all go bowling at the bowling lanes
Drink a few beers
Bowl a few frames
Ordinary average guys

And every Saturday we work in the yard
Pick up the dog do
Hope that it's hard (whaf whaf)
Take out the garbage and clean out the garage
My friend's got a Chrysler
I've got a Dodge
Ordinary average guys

Ordinary average guy(3x)
Ordinary average average guys

Ordinary average guy(3x)
Ordinary average average average guys

Ordinary average guy(3x)
Ordinary average....

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Corley5

My favourite Joe Walsh/Eagles song was "Life's Been Good to Me So Far".  "It's hard to leave when you can't find the door" ;) ;D.  Things do change as we mature.  I'd just as soon stay home on the farm as go out on a Friday or Saturday night.  If we go to a movie we go on weeknight when things are quieter ;) ;D I haven't been to a field party in years and we haven't had a bonfire (inferno) party at the house since before Zach was born.  I even cleaned up the fire pit and planted grass.  I figure if we decide to have another such party ??? we'll do it out back where the brush, slabs and old fence posts are burned.  I like being settled down.  It's  8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Murf

Yup, I've gotta agree.

At 18 I couldn't believe how dumb my folks were, how did they even get by in life?

By the time I was 28 I was a civilian again, married (for the first time), with my own house and mortgage payments and running my own business.

I was astounded how much my folks had learned in just TEN short years  ......   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

jjmk98k

Thats why i like surfing this forum, we're all just ordinary average guys.... that is a great song and fits me well.... but I drive a chevy :)

Jim

MemphisLogger

Yeah Jim, mines really a Toyota but I'm pretty sure it's got some paint from a Dodge on it somewhere  :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Doc

I am happy to wake up on a Saturday at a reasonable hour without my head pounding from the punishment of the night before. I am glad to have my kids wanting me to cook breakfast on the weekends.

Sometimes I wonder how I survived the ride to this point, but I am sure glad I was one of the lucky ones I knew that did.

the older I get the less the hot rod cars appeal to me. I quit looking at corvettes, and started looking at the cars that get 70 mpg, and run on electric motors.

I own a truck, but not because it is the cool thing to have. I own it cause I am not afraid to scratch the bed.....I use my truck (NOW TO PUT ANOTHER TRANNY IN IT)!

I don't find the need for a string of credit cards.....don't have any. Any place that won't take cash doesn't want me for a customer. I used to dream of the day I could get a couple of credit cards......now I am glad I have money in the bank, and a few small standard bills.

I find that if the shoes are gonna cost me more than, oh say 50 bucks.....they better be more than looking good. If they aren't comfortable, then they aren't leaving with me.

I see things changing from the way I grew up though, and it scares the hell out of me. When I was a kid, and I am sure it was the saem for many of you, if you had a problem with someone it was settled behind the school buses after school and the next day you were friends again. Now days they shoot each other.....this worries me as I have two teens and an 8 year old.

I am concerned more for my childrens future now, then I was some years ago. It used to be I was only concerned with getting by from one week to the next with food in the house. Now I worry about what will happen when I am gone.

I find that I don't mind the things I used to hate so much.....cutting the grass is actually something I look forward to.

I find that I don't have alot of close friends or trust alot of people anymore. where I grew up, when you gave someone a handshake and your word it meant something. Nowadays it means nothing. Kinda hard to trust anyone who can't live up to their word.

I find that I am not so concerned with getting rich as I am with being able to retire one day. I don't want to be a burden on anyone, and won't be.

I find that the older I get the more stuff I wish I knew, and try to learn something about. I seek out knowledge of some of the most mundane subjects around because I may find use for it, or be able to pass it on to someone who will use it.

I am a better teacher than I used to be. Something good in leaving a little something behind for someone else to pass along.

I wake up in the morning and put my feet on the floor, and realize it is gonna be a good day reagardless of what happens to try to make me think different. I come here to you fine folks, and learn lots and laugh a little here and there.

It has been a long hard road to this point, but I can't say I would change much. I have to admit it gets me a little closer to the end of the journey with every day, but every day gets a little better than the one before.

Doc

Phorester

"Phorester, I hear people that's older than me a lot should try vitamins and lots and lots of calcium pills. "

ROCKENH, we'll eave a few of'em for you.

Growing old ain't for sissies. 

Doc

Quote from: Phorester on March 29, 2005, 12:33:15 PM
Growing old ain't for sissies. 

I am not old yet, and can agree with that fully. Watching my 80+ yr old grandfather run circles around me and my uncles in a day of working makes me think I am not living right or something.

Doc

jjmk98k

I called my Grandparents to wish them a Happy Easter, My grandfather says, "Jimmy, I was just thinking of you yestderday while I was splitting firewood"...the man is 83 years old, God bless him!

Jim

Doc

makes me mad when we are building something and he gives me heartburn about bending a nail (I have no depth perception without glasses). He will sit there and drive nail after nail after nail.......usually two or three to my one......and laugh at me for bending one nail in a day.

He gets up and runs us crazy. He still wrestles  with me and the uncles (he is 82), and most of the time still wins. He may be old, but he is still strong as a bull, and won't take anything off anyone. His word is gold, and he is very fair, but you don't want to cross him.....hahahah.

I hope I am half that hornery when I am that age. I can't keep up with him now, and wouldn't trade him for nothing. I wonder what he will be like in another 82 years (I think he is too mean to go anywhere).

Doc

Thank You Sponsors!