iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I may be "maxing out" my mill soon.

Started by scsmith42, September 04, 2011, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I have enough track with my Peterson WPF to enable me to mill a board or beam that is 58' long.  Thus far, the longest that I've milled has been 44', but that may change soon!

A local farm is taking out a couple of extremely large pines that died after a nearby building fire.  Thanks for fellow FF member Bob Kellog, I have an opportunity to obtain the logs. 

What I'd like to do is to cut them at 59' or so, and transport them in one length.  I'll have to use a crane with a spreader bar to offload them and set them into the mill, as they will weigh around 7.5 tons each.

There are two buildings on my farm that need siding under the eaves; one is a 50' span and the other is a 60' span.  My plan is to mill at least one of the logs into 1" thick, live edge siding, and use them up under the eaves of the building.  The second log will probably get milled into a single, 50' beam to use as a plate on one of my barns, as well as some additional siding boards..

Ought to be a fun project.    ;D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

submarinesailor

Scott,

I love it.

Wish I had the time to come down and help.....But, nooooo I have way too rooms to paint and flooring to put down.  The honey do list while I'm on vacation is huge.

Bruce

mikeb1079

59' you say?   yikes_smiley yikes_smiley yikes_smiley

holy cats, that's awesome!  sounds like a great time.  do you know a trucker or how will the timbers be transported to your place?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

kelLOGg

Scott, let me know when this will happen. I want to be there as the "official" ;D FF photographer. Scott and I had a geat time looking over the sawmill and outbuildings of my neighbor. He is now deceased but built up quite a homestead with multiple barns, sheds, workshops all in good shape and now overseen by his daughter.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

59 foot siding?  Wow!  You will be the only guy in the Country with siding 59 feet long!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

r.man

My 80+ yr old house has 26 ft 2x6s and I thought that they would be hard to handle.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Stephen1

Now!! That might be worth a few days road trip to come and help. I agree if possible let us know when maybe we can have a road trip.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

bandmiller2

Smith 42,you better have someone down the outher end with your lunch.Those long ones are trouble the least little bend and you have alot of waste.show us some pictures when you do it mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

barbender

Why go through all that trouble, can't you just buy one of those at Home Depot? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

This will be fun to watch.  I hope that there are no knots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Guys, thanks for the replies.  Bruce, I wish that you could be here too - I think that I'm going to need about 4 guys acting as tailmen!

MikeB - I'll probably transport them myself.  I have a trailer with a 40' deck and I've used it to move some long poles before.  I'll need to add some shorter logs to the front of the trailer to ensure that I have positive tongue weight though, as well as have a chase vehicle.  Fortunately there are only two turns between my farm and the log location.

Bob, don't worry - you'll be a part of the event!

Danny, good point!  It's interesting to see fellow sawyers stop by and look at some of the longer boards.  Their faces seem to go through a transition starting off with puzzlement, and ending up with a WTH expression!

Stephen, would love to have the extra help, but it sure is a long ways from you to me!

Frank / MM - it ought to be interesting, to say the least!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!