iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying gourds in a kiln

Started by Frank_Pender, September 29, 2005, 06:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Has anyone ever dried gords in a kiln?  I had the idea dropped in my bucket today.  I am coming to the pros for guidance and council.
Frank Pender

Larry

Besides gourds we dry sunflower heads in the solar kiln for the birdies...doesn't everybody?  Sorry can't give ya any technical help. ;D :D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Frank_Pender

Larry, do you let them air dry at all?  How about opening any with a small hole to allow drainage of moisture? 
Frank Pender

farmerdoug

I air dry gourds.  Do not make holes in the gourds before they are dry or most of them will rot.  When I say air dry I mean I put them in a single layer on skids in a unused greenhouse.  Freezing temps do not seem to hurt them.  Immature or constant wetness seems to dictate if they rot or dry good.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Larry

Frank, we only put them in the kiln towards the end of the lumber drying cycle...so sometimes they will air dry for maybe up to a month before going into the kiln.  Never put holes in them.  Just a play thing for the boss...dry maybe a dozen or so each year.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Frank_Pender

Larry, what is the temp near the end of your drying cycle?  For me that temp is around 165 degrees.   My thought was, at my temp, it would cause some cracking or actaully falling apart.  You can see I know nothing of gords.   :'(

Is it best to place them in a dark and area when air drying in the begining?  Apparently not, as you are putting them in an unused greenhouse.
Frank Pender

Tom

Boy!  That brings back memories, Frank.  The best drink of water I ever had, I think, was from a long handled gourd from a spring behind a little log cabin in Franklin, N.C. when I was a pre-schooler.

Larry

Frank, at this time of year in my solar kiln I would guess the daytime high temperature would be around 150 to 170 and it would cool to around 50 to 60 in the morning.

I don't know a thing about gourds either...just fooling around.

Frank_Pender

Thank you Larry.

Tom, what was in the gord? :D  ....that made you so happy?
Frank Pender

Tom

Spring Water, Frank.   Spring water.  :D :D

Frank_Pender

I do believe you protesith toooo much, Tom.  I have heard what you boys in the South call "Spring Water". ;D
Frank Pender

Saki

I haven't grown any in a few years. Used to do both the dipper and the birdhouse variety. I used to set them on the hearth behind the woodstove. Most of the larger types will have a waxy type of skin. It is a definite pain in the butt, but for really nice looking gourds, you can scrape this waxy layer off with a butterknife or similar instrument. To keep the fungus from forming that may discolor the gourd or cause it to rot, you can wash the exterior of the gourd with a 3 to 5 percent bleachwater solution. Leave a little bit of stem on them, and do not cut the holes until AFTER the gourd is completely dry ( generally when you can shake it and it sounds like a rattle ) Best if luck. A kiln will probably work at least as good as near a woodstove. Saki 

Frank_Pender

Thank you Saki, for the experienced information.  Thanks to all others for their imput. 
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!