iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fact or fiction?

Started by maple flats, October 06, 2005, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I was told that to get the best black walnut for woodworking one had to dry the log for 7 years and turn the log every several days and after sawing it you had to sticker it and dry for another 7 years. Anyone ever heard of anything like this if you are air drying it?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

On my last saw job I sawed some walnut that looked like it had been down for 7 years. ::) There was dirt only on one side, so they must have forgot to turn the logs . ;)   
Fiction
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ianab

It might be the best because the guy that sawed it died of old age waiting for it to season and someone got a good deal at the estate auction  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Sounds like a story invented by the nearest walnut selling competitor.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Part_Timer

I think you have to build furniture out of it before the term "antique" applies. ;D
Good marketing ploy though
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Minnesota_boy

Well,  first you have to define best ........  :D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DonE911

I hope not.....  I'll have glue all that walnut I've got stickered back together into a log. :D

Minnesota_boy

Naw, just redefine best to mean what you have. 
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

scottr

Maple flats , a logger from this area told me the same story . I think that something similar was said about having bad luck for seven years after breaking a mirror . Maybe the guy that started that was concerned with the supply of black walnut in his area .                                                                           Scott

maple flats

Basically all of you have answered my question as I thought. I had a hard time believing his wisdom. Thanks everyone.
Maple Flats
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

And it will only dry so far as it is subject to the changes in moister with the seasons in your climate. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gilman

Ran across a potential customer that thought the same thing.  Had to be 5-10,000 bf, some 48"+ diameter.  To me it looked like a lot of rotting black walnut logs.

I'm not sure, but I'd have to guess that it would dry a lot quicker if he'd cut it up and stickered it.  ;D

He had two delapitated sheds packed randomly full of lumber.  I don't think he's ever used a stick of what he has.  Definitely a horader.  I'd like to go to his estate sale though.   8)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

Gilman, but you just don't understand. ;D It's there if he needs it. :D :D

8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D Sounds like my kind of guy.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

Sounds like fiction to me. I'd like to attend that estate sell also. Those are the ones you find all kinds of neat stuff.

I have a customer who buys a little grade lumber now and then. He watches me saw it, and marks the end of every board to indicate whether it was on the butt end or top of the log. After air drying the lumber for several years, restacking it every year, he stands the boards on end at one end of his shop, the way that they grew. He claims you have to "finish" drying them that way to get them "completely dry". I suggested that maybe it was atmospheric conditions in his heated shop that helped finish drying the wood. He wouldn't here any of that, he was convinced that his method worked. It did, but not for the reason he thought. He makes beautiful furniture, and is a good customer, and his method works, so I don't say much.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!