iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you think it looks like on the INSIDE?

Started by Daren, August 26, 2006, 10:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I have had this curly maple 3 way crotch spalting awhile.

Here is a close up after I washed off the bark, that was all it took, the slimy stuff just washed off. Kinda bumpy  :o

I sawed a couple pieces off and cleaned them up, perfect... FUNKY spalted, curly crotch maple with erratic figure  .The curl doesn't really show in the picture, but it is super curly it's just wet. I can see it, my camera just didn't catch it. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I be holding a decent chunk of turning stock here I think.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Frank_Pender

Geeeee, Daren, I cut some of the same kind of wood a couple days ago.  It turned into about 650 pounds of the same looking wood, only Western Big Leaf Maple.
Frank Pender

iain

jpad_mi

Jeff P. in Michigan

SwampDonkey

Nice looking piece Daren :)

There's a fellow here that buys up all the figured maple he can get his hands on. Curly, birdseye, and so on. He's quite fussy on the specs, but when he see's what he wants he starts peeling off the $100 bills from the roll. ;D I ain't seen him in along time, but he used to visit the marketing boards. He's in the Belldune business directory. He produces flooring from the figured wood.

http://www.belledune.com/businesses.php?id=71

Here's a list of figure buyers on the Sussex marketing board site.

http://www.snbwoodcoop.com/markets/SPEC95.html

Might be of interest to NB and Maine woodlot owners and wood harvesters.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Another beeeeutiful score Daren 8) 8) 8)

What'cha gonna do with all that nice wood ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Daren

Quote from: Burlkraft link=topic=20913.msg297952#msg297952 date=1156690912
What'cha gonna do with all that nice wood ??? ??? ???
quote]

Probably stuff like this.

and more of these.

I have been making them in my spare time... they are starting to sell too ;)

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

SwampDonkey

That's great Daren, now that you've found a market for your little jems.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

Thats a way big log to turn out a couple of fishing lures
can i have the left over bits?

Daren

Quote from: iain on August 28, 2006, 04:36:12 AM
Thats a way big log to turn out a couple of fishing lures
can i have the left over bits?

I'm afraid there won't be any left over, I may be hitting Frank up for some of his even  :D.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 27, 2006, 12:01:35 PM
That's great Daren, now that you've found a market for your little jems. :)

Yea, I did...I am playing catch up. I am selling some wholesale until I figure out the retail market. That is a whole new ball game for me. I only know custom, people tell you what they want give you $, then you make it/saw it. Making something THEN marketing it is something I am not familiar with. I will get a handle on it soon I'm sure. I am not doing bad wholesale, but could do alot better retail.

tlooney

Quote from: Frank_Pender on August 26, 2006, 11:25:03 PM
Geeeee, Daren, I cut some of the same kind of wood a couple days ago. It turned into about 650 pounds of the same looking wood, only Western Big Leaf Maple.
I am just getting to the last of a 53" diameter silver maple that was burls from one end to the other. Every board I sawed had birdseye and curly wood in it. Not sure exactly how many board feet yet, will know tomorrow when I finish sawing it up. By the way this log was given to me by my uncle who happens to own a bandmill and he could not cut it cause it was too big.
tlooney
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Daren

Quote from: tlooney on August 29, 2006, 08:22:59 PM
By the way this log was given to me by my uncle who happens to own a bandmill and he could not cut it cause it was too big.
tlooney

If they are curly and have birdseye, they are never too big for a bandsaw...just the sawyer. Look at my picture beside this post. That is why they make big chainsaws. I guess I have not figured out the new photo gallery, or I would dig out a bigger log yet that was no match for me/my chainsaw and my little manual bandmill.  ::)

Tom

It's still the same old photo gallery, Daren.  It's just had a new coat of paint.    Rather it's been painted like a rainbow.  If it gets any brighter in there we're going to have to hang a sign on it calling it Aboriginal Art.  :D

The stuff that used to be at the top of the page was moved to the left side.  That's all.   :)

Daren

Quote from: Tom on August 29, 2006, 08:49:59 PM
The stuff that used to be at the top of the page was moved to the left side. 

Your left or mine?  :D . I have not been around for awhile. The new gallery is fine, I just have not messed with it until now.

I bet this log is 60", I don't remember for sure. You can barely see my 16' fishing boat behind it for scale. We had to just push it off with an backhoe, no picking it up, It was loaded with an BIG trackhoe onto a semi trailer. A big chainsaw and a few wedges and she was in 1/2, then 1/4... it was curly red oak. It was delivered for free to clean up a bridge job, unfortunately it did have some shake and some rot in the middle. I still got my moneys worth $0   ;)

Left Coast Chris

Daren,  is your maple soft as in Silver Maple?     I just cut up a huge silver maple and it had some very good figure in localized spots.   The one thing it had was 3/4" or so between growth rings.   It grew very fast.  Do all the soft maples have large growth rings ???   It seems to be drying good..... I have my fingers crossed.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Daren

farmer77, that chunk is one of the softer maples. It's not as soft as silver maple, but it isn't hard either. Not near as hard as the hard maples that grow around here...they are called hard maple for a reason.

Thank You Sponsors!