iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ya gotta be tough to live in Alaska . I guess .

Started by Tramp Bushler, May 09, 2012, 02:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tramp Bushler

This mornings weather :( :o. .not what I was planning on.

. Odd to get a snow day in May
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tramp Bushler

Well , that is odd . I got the wrong pic . 

. I cleaned up the last load on the landing yesterday . Glad I did.

fishpharmer

Your tough Tramp bushler.  Is that the belt you wear when climbing and topping trees?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tramp Bushler

Yes . I got the belt done this weekend . I'm not really an arborist . But a climber from tower loggin on the coast . In the summer I usually pick up a few thousand $ in taking down trees around peoples houses . I needed a new climbing belt so I made one . It'

s real comfortable .

thecfarm

Seen it in May in Maine too.Most times it's a wet, heavy snow too. Don't last long is the best bet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tramp Bushler

I know in Arustik County ( obviously spelling )
It can snow pretty late . I've never seen it in Penobscot County  but I've not been there in a long time .
What county are you in theCfarm ?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

June 6, 1991 I woke up to 10 cm of snow in St John's, Newfoundland, Canada. It was all gone by mid-afternoon and what a mess of mud that made...

Herb

Tramp Bushler

Herb ; it looks like you Snow Birded it Big time  8)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Tramp,

I'm originally from the South (born in Alabama, raised in north Florida). Joined the US Navy when I was 19, spent twenty years all over, including 2 1/2 years in Newfoundland where I met and amrried my wife. After I "retired" from the Navy in '89 we moved back to Newfoundland. Well, to make a long story short, between the weather and the economy it didn't work out up there for us, so in 91, shortly after that June snowfall, we sold most of our worldly possessions, packed the rest in a little 4x4 utility trailer and moved to Pensacola Florida. A year later we moved to Panama City Florida and have been here ever since. Now the only snow I see is the pile of white stuff on my head when I look in the mirror.  ;D

I wouldn't mind visiting your area but don't think I'd survive the winters very well.

Take care and keep warm.

Herb

Tramp Bushler

Most people come up and look er over in the summer . You can see almost half the state via the Alaska Marine Highway and the road system . But Alaska is the salt water state .
Most everything up here is more or bigger than about any place else . Execpt human population .

thecfarm

I'm in Franklin County,just on the edge,Kennebec is just at the end of the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Any place north of the snow line is pretty tough isn't it? :D Northern NB might see flurries tonight they say. ;D It has snowed at least once a week for the last 4 weeks here. Just a dusting to 1/2". Still snow along the road in places out in Deersdale (only thing their is a sawmill). ;)  Not unusual to get a little snow on occasion in June in NB. According to the records the weather is pretty much normal,  not overly warm and frost in pockets in the mornings. I put the potted roses out last weekend and after the rain they are floating in water in the pots. I saw aphids on them on Tuesday. Mowed the lawn last week. ;D

As long as a man (and woman) has lots to eat and some heat, he can stand about anything. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tramp Bushler

stoneeaglefarm

Been to Alaska 20 times, Logged, fished, built and enjoyed all its beauty, Its to bad its getting to many people in it that really do not appreciate its awesome power, 20 years ago the spill opened it up to tourist and its takening its toll on the last great frontier.

Tramp Bushler

I don't think it was the spill . Rather tourists getting hijacked and kilt by terrorists in the Mediteraniun area . I used to work for Cruise Line Agency of Alaska . We took care of the cruise ships and their needs when inport .
We saw the biggest jumps in ship visits and overall visitors after some of the well publicised atrocities in the Med.

But ya there are more people here than there used to be . Where did you log up here ?

Clam77

Always wanted to go to Alaska for a year or two.. experience it in all it's glory and still be able to come back home to IA.

Probably never get to though - as you mentioned there's too many people crowding in now.   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Tramp Bushler

Too many people . ??  Alaska is over twice the size of Texas
Theres just over 600,000  people . I live in aan area that has several public schools , a hospital , building another this summer . A bunch of state and federal govt posts and offices . An Air Force base . Several US Post Offices . But No local government . We arn't a town or city . I forget how many thousand square miles . But only around 3,000 people . . Most of the pppulation of Alaska lives in Anchorage and the Matanuska , Susitna  river valley . If ypu get of the hoghway in most parts of Alaska you are in the wilderness
. And it just goes on and on and on . We have 2 oceans , 3 seas more archipelago

Tramp Bushler

More archipelagos , sounds , inland wsterways . And more rivers, criks  , ponds , + lakes than most of the continantal US .

The only way you are going to be around alot of people is if you go where they are .

sandhills

I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in Alaska and agree totally, the best part is the people you do run into are just as nice as the folks back home (give you the shirt off their backs type).  But to spend a year or two, yeah you better be tough  ;), I was there in the summer  :).

Tramp Bushler

Whats this , ( a year or 2 ) . I haven't been south since 82 . This month its 30 years . .
. 8) 8) ;D

stoneeaglefarm

How do, I did some work around Homer, Seldovia, Back in the 88. 89 years, Did alot of chopping on the oil spill stuff on beaches, Worked out of Chatem and Port Dick area as far as the chopping part, Guess what i mean about more people is we use to go our into areas like Montaque Island, Gore point, East and west prince william sounds and boat camp for weeks and hardly see a boat or plane, Let alone helicpoters, I have been lucky to be so many places in the state, I have friends in Homer and Halibut cove and we take off for a new adventure when ever we can pull it off, I guess I should not complain of see more folks about in the far away places as if they enjoy it half as much as me, My wife and friends have for 20 years then all the power to them. Have ya done helicpoter logging, Almost took a job doing that years ago outside of Valdez, Which I had that to chat about. How long you been in AK, Were do you hail from originally.

Tramp Bushler

I avoided the whirly bird falling . I HATE selective cutting .  Far too dangerous .  . Tower ground . Thats my thing . Clear cut . Only way to cut timber ime . I've cut timber from almost as far south as Portland Canal as far west as the Kenai Penn. And as far north as I am now . . Like I said . I havn:t been south for 30 years this month . Got here 4 years before that

Thank You Sponsors!