iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size gauge?

Started by brianJ, May 16, 2019, 04:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Looking at a remote sump pump.   At a half horsepower the specs list 7 amps @ 115 volts.    I need to use a hundred foot extension cord.      The label on a 16 gauge rates it as 10 amps.   Is that enough excess capacity?  

Magicman

I would not use less than a 12 gauge.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muggs

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2019, 05:31:41 PM
I would not use less than a 12 gauge.
As they said in the movie Jaws, your going to need a bigger cord. :D

doc henderson

there are charts that will tell at what length you need to jump up to a lager size wire.  if the pump is gong to pump for a minute at a time, might be ok.  If you are pumping out a collection of water, the cord may get hot, as well can be hard on the pump motor if you get a voltage drop, it will increase the amp pull.  If this is for longer term or long periods of operation, i agree will all.  Everyone should have a 100 foot 12 g cord anyway!!! at least that is what I would tell my wife... :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

There is also starting amp load to consider, being a pump it will be considered a hard or heavy start, so for a very   short time it will pull a lot more amps. 

A 12 is probably fine, personally I would go with a 10 to be sure. This way too should you need a heavy cord for a compressor or other device down the road you already own it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

10 g should pull 30 amps, but at distance it will be less.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dave Shepard

Clearly, you couldn't go wrong with 4/0. Just to be safe.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

luap

When you consult a table that shows wire size and amperage capacity be careful to look at type of wire and insulation and if in conduit.

moodnacreek

What gauge? Are you shootin or sawin? , just kidding.

doc henderson

great discussion.  practically speaking, I would start with what you got, even the 16 until you find a good deal on a 12 g 100 foot cord.  If it runs for a while, feel the cord (not while standing in water) and if it is noticeably warm, get the 12 g sooner rather than later.  Is this a permanent solution or temp and or intermittent?

luap

If you have enough of the smaller gauge wire you can double up the number of wires for more capacity.

brianJ

Thanks everyone.   Good advice for general scenarios.    I used a wire size calculator from paige wire.     Gives advice for both copper and aluminum

Thank You Sponsors!