Sponsors:

Most unique foreign object.

Started by Clevelander, February 05, 2016, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Caveman,

Somebody sure must have slammed that gate awful hard. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

He could make a rustic bench out of that tree. Sell it for $300. ;)  (Or wreck $300 in chainsaw chains and blades.) ::)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

kelLOGg

Quote from: Jeff on January 30, 2018, 08:44:46 AM
Be aware that the bullet may, and probaly will, loosen or fall out as the wood dries.

Unfortunately, I know.

Fifteen years ago one of my first logs I sawed was a 207 yo white oak that fell on my property. One of the cuts revealed 2 lead balls cut in half. Not being very savvy I racked the boards all together to dry. While drying I realized they could be musket balls from the Civil War and that I would recover them after drying. I never found them. What I wished I had done is to stop sawing and count the rings where the ball were. The tree had approximately 207 rings as best as I could count and it fell in 2002. Troops did march through the area and if the balls matched the Civil War years it would possibly have made a nice historical piece for a local Civil War museum where the largest surrender of the war occurred. I know, no pics so it didn't happen but it really did. I did save cookies from the log and they are very interesting.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Bay Beagle

had a whole tree (Heart pine), from Mechanicsville Va {Cold Harbor}- loaded with bullets - made a cool counter top with one of the boards that had bullets impressed in the wood - the rest of the tree is still in my shop.

Thank You Sponsors!