iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cabin progress UPDATE "Outside is Complete!!!!!"

Started by sbishop, November 23, 2006, 01:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

hi, I started my cabin this summer but never got around to posting any pictures. Since hunting season is over and it's quiet here, I thought I would post what I have done so far!

1. Road was excavated in the fall of 2005

2. Had the excavater back in June 2006 to cut a hill and finish my pad where the cabin is going
3. Installed the water supply, its spring fed with a 1000' of 1" pipe (i've got a 180ft dropped) lots of pressure. June 2006

4. Installed septic system out of 45 gallon plastic barrel. Works the very best June 2006
5. Started installing my 8X8 sills. July 2006

You can see the river in this picture, I still have some trimming to do. But the river is only about 25ft from the cabin!

6. Installed the floor joits. August 2006

7. Installed the floor. September 2006 (The floor is now covered with lumber wrap until next spring!

I was able to accomplish most of the work in June while we were on vacation. We as in my wife and our newborn which was only 10months old

I bought a used travel trailer in June and was able to park it beside my cabin to be and use the water supply and septic. We spent 3 weeks in June and almost every weekend after that. We live 3 hours away! so every Thursday was pack the utility trailer with tools(for me) and toyz for the young lad!

Started in May 2007, i'm planning on cutting the logs and yard them down to my camp site!

almost forgot to mention, floor size is 22X26 plus there will be a 8ft covered porched on the front! and i'm going to be bulding with vertical logs!

Thanks to a great site!

Sbishop ::)

jerry-m

Thanks  Bishop,

looking good.. Always enjoy what other people are doing... Looking farward to spring for updates...

Jerry
Jerry

LedlieLogs

Looks great SBishop. Must be a great feeling to get to that point. I'm sure it will go fast from this point forward.
Are the post that the sill logs sit on in the ground? Does the concrete go into the ground? Are there brackets holding the sill logs to the post?
Can't wait till the next post of pics. Good luck.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

sbishop

the cement pads that you see are about 5" thick and are sitting on top of the ground. I got this design from "Pappy" on this website. the post are used telephone polls that are treated (should last a few years) and the 8"X8" sills are sitting right on top of the post(that way I can level if need be). I will let everyone know how I make out in the spring once the thaw is finish to see if there is any movement!

I forgot to mention that I tied all the 8"X8" together with an overlap joint and with 3 6" spiral galvanize spikes. also in every corner I used a piece of 6" 3"X3" 3/16" angle iron and with 3" lag bolts. I didn't want the thing to move  ;D

Sbishop

Stephen1

sbishop,
looking like a nice start for your project. how's the fishing in the river? How do you tie the upright logs together?
Are you going to spline the upright logs when you put them together?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

scsmith42

Looking great!  Your view ought to be outstanding when it's done.  Glad to hear that the water system worked out well.  Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sbishop

Stephen1, the fishing was awsome this year. my father handed over 25 acres of the 100 acres of homestead. I grew up on this land but moved when I was 16, so that was 15 years ago. a lot have changed since, mother passed away (it was her father's land), dad remarried, then retired and his health is not the best, so he decided to sell the house. now the house was located on a non-access highway meaning no new homes could be built or driveways put in. luckily there is an access road that divides my dad's property in half, and there is 2 other lots behind his. so there will always be an access. long story short, the goverment bought his house with only 5 acres and tore it down and the barn included. because it was too big to move. it was hard to deal with at the time but there wasn't much I could do about it. So I decide I need a place to when i'm "home". hence log cabin  ;D

now back to the fishing, there is salmon/trout pool about 400 yards starting right in front of my cabin to be. I was there for a week in September, I looked one day and I counted 7 big Atlantic salmon(15lbs +), 11 grisle (smaller Atlantic Salmon 4-6lbs) and about a dozen HUGE sea trout...bigger then the grisle... I coulnd't belive it, this river has always been really good, not too much pressure, it's almost a well hidden treasure! back in the 80's the salmon runs were excellent, then came the late 90's, not too bad, but for the last couple of years it has really picked up!

QuoteHow do you tie the upright logs together?

Not sure yet  ;D, Well the plan is to toe nail at the bottom and drive a spike through the top plate into the top of the log. I've also seen where some people have spiked each log into the other log about a foot above the floor.

enough talk for now :)

Sbishop

beenthere

sbishop
What happened to all your pics?  Were they ever in your gallery? Lots of red X 's

You have told us about a number of very interesting projects, the cabin but one of them.

Would sure like to see the pics you have.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

I mistakenly deleted my gallery the other day...does anyone know a way to get it back?

sbishop

Jim_Rogers

I think there is a way, you'll need to notify the administrator he may be able to put it back.
Not sure, you'll have to ask.
There could be a back up of it, somewhere.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

metalspinner

QuoteI mistakenly deleted my gallery the other day...

Welcome to the club... ::) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Raphael

Quote from: metalspinner on March 06, 2007, 09:23:44 AM
QuoteI mistakenly deleted my gallery the other day...

Welcome to the club... ::) :D

I haven't managed that trick yet... If I do I've got the whole thing backed up in a single folder on my hard drive, I'd hate to have to recreate them all at this point.  I did delete several pictures early on when I ran out of space, I thought I'd only deleted unposted pictures but I just recently found an image missing from one of my first posts.  At the time I didn't realise I was just one or two posts away from an increase in storage volume.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

sbishop

who's the adminitrator of this site? I can send an email to see!

I wish I could remember what the pics where  ;D

Raphael

That would be Jeff B
Send him a PM (private message) or email admin@forestyforum.com

If you can see the red Xs (I can't with this browser) right click on them (or click and hold with a MAC) and select copy image address (or whatever your browser's equivilent is) then paste that into an empty text document.  The image name will be in the address.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Raphael

I snagged the source and found your file names... Lot's of ASCII code in them from spaces and parentheses.
Here they are in order of appearance:

road completed (WinCE).JPG
spring (WinCE).JPG
8X8 sills taking shape (WinCE).JPG
sills completed (WinCE).JPG
another close up of sills (WinCE).JPG
floor joist installed (WinCE).JPG
floor.JPG
travel trailer (WinCE).JPG
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

sbishop

Thanks Raphael for the name of the files....I just redid them!

Pics are back!

sbishop

sbishop

I thought I would update you folks on what I have been up too in the last 4 weekends. I hauled out 100 black/red spruce trees with my wheeler and log arch tree length! got them all peeled because the guy with the sawmill could not come till yesterday and I was afraid they would start to dry up!

Sunday morning I decided i'd cut an extra 20 trees. So I have those left to peel.

Rudy, just about 7 miles from where i'm building came with his sawmill. Man this guy could saw, I could barely keep up with him plus he had a helper! sawed up everything in 8 hrs!

going to move the logs down to the camp site this weekend and stack them!

should be able to start building come Aug.!

Sbishop

pappy

Lookin' good Steve !!!!
That Rudy must drink lotsa Java !!! Man he sawed off two faces of 120 logs + in 8 hours  :o :o :o ya sure got ya moneys worth with that sawer!!!  Might want to get him again to saw for yur other needs... 

Keep it up and you'll be sittin' on that porch in no time watachin me catch those big fish  ;D

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jbeat

Hey sbishop,
If you need a good motivational read and maybe some tips on building vertical log, go to www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth86.html. Dorothy Ainsworth built a log house virtually by herself (twice). She's a perfect example of true grit and determination plus easy on the eyes.
John B

sbishop

Pappy, I wish it was only 120 logs!..it was 120 trees...some had 2-3 logs per tree!!!!1  :o

Sbishop

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

yes started at 8am and finished at 4:30pm. 30 min lunch.

I was glad he was done. I was hoping he'd take a break here and there but no >:(

8)

Mooseherder

Quote from: sbishop on June 05, 2007, 07:28:49 PM
yes started at 8am and finished at 4:30pm. 30 min lunch.

Pappy, What am I thinking right now? :D

Okay, here it is. 4:30 for Pappy is 3 1/2 hours overtime that also cut into his fishing time. :D

Nice progress sbishop! 8)

pappy

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 05, 2007, 08:18:11 PM
Pappy, What am I thinking right now? :D

Okay, here it is. 4:30 for Pappy is 3 1/2 hours overtime that also cut into his fishing time. :D

Ya meet a guy one time and he's got ya pegged   ;)
Now Mooseherder ya got ta know when a FF member shows up there's no working cause it's time ta have fun  8)

QuoteNice progress sbishop! 8)
Ditto Steve !!! man that's just amazing 120 trees X 2 ta 3 per ... WOW It took me about 15 days ta git mine done  ;D and yes Mooseherder I did get paid fer the overtime  ;)   ;D  :D  :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

Yes we did have a great time,  twice. :)
I kept bringing up stuff Pappy could be making.  But, "that it would add an hour to each day." By the end of the day, Pappy was working till 8pm. :D

Thank You Sponsors!