iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills electric lift adjustment

Started by clintnelms, November 23, 2016, 01:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

I ran across this a few minutes ago and first thing that came to mind was that looks like it would work good for raising and lowering the head on my Woodland Mills HM126. Almost would bolt right in with minor modification. What's your thoughts.

ChugiakTinkerer

Two questions come to mind:

1) How much torque is needed to move the sawhead up, and

2) what is the electrical source?  Something that does not require tapping into the grid would be nice.  But I don't see any practical way of modifying my HM130 to incorporate an alternator.
Woodland Mills HM130

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Doesn't seem to take that much torque to move the head up and down. Someone on here used an 18 volt drill. My mill is stationary and I have an outlet right next to my mill if it's 110.

clintnelms

Sitting here looking at my mill it really doesn't look like it would be that hard to put some kind of 12 volt motor with a chain and sprocket on there either.

Kbeitz

Cheapest way to go is with wheelchair motors off E-bay.
Search brings up 783 items right now.
Lots of choices. Cheapest one right now is $27.00 free shipping.
Can't beat that...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

goose63

Quote from: clintnelms on November 23, 2016, 03:32:44 PM
Sitting here looking at my mill it really doesn't look like it would be that hard to put some kind of 12 volt motor with a chain and sprocket on there either.

clintnelms that bulldog is what you would use to unhook a trailer from the pickup it would be 12 volt and yes it would have enough power to rase the head up and down
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

rusticretreater

For those of you viewing this thread, Woodland Mills now has a electric power lift setup for the HM130 & 130Max.  At the time of this post, it was not available for other models.

Pricey at $900.

https://woodlandmills.com/sawmill-power-head/
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

jpassardi

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 23, 2016, 05:26:20 PM
Kbeitz,
Do they require a motor controller or can they be wired directly to a momentary "double" rocker switch?
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Daburner87

Quote from: rusticretreater on October 03, 2022, 11:37:55 AM
For those of you viewing this thread, Woodland Mills now has a electric power lift setup for the HM130 & 130Max.  At the time of this post, it was not available for other models.

Pricey at $900.

https://woodlandmills.com/sawmill-power-head/
*DanG.....
Repetitive cuts worry me as I don't currently use the ruler when I make cuts I go off how many cranks I make.  For example 4 full cranks is 5/4.  There are so many holes in the crank wheel, and I have mine on the Woodlander XL trailer so the ruler and red marker sits too high for me to actually make use of unless I get a step stool.  It looks great and I kinda want this electric option, but repeat cuts worry me.  Even if a board is off 1/8th for example.  If each push of the button was a quarter inch that would be amazing.  Anyone else not use the ruler? 
HM130Max Woodlander XL

btulloh

I seldom use the scale. I use the crank holes like you. I made up a cheat sheet for common dimensions. Makes for very repeatable lumber dimensions. 
HM126

Daburner87

Glad Im not the only one. This add on is pricey, but it looks super easy to install vs fabricating something to work.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

JRWoodchuck

I use one real similar on my mill it's my fourth iteration and I like it the best. It's the fastest and works well. I've used a winch motor and wheelchair motor and a treadmill motor. The wheelchair motors are usually 24v so running it on 12v reduces the power and speed in half.  But any 12v motor you should be able to use double pull double throw switch. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

VB-Milling

It's pricey for sure....doesn't mean I don't want it.

Looking at the manual, it sure seems to me the "only for hm130 and 130max" warning is because they're the models that have onboard power from the factory.

Meaning it looks like it would bolt right up to the hm126 mechanically and just need 12v power.

Thoughts?
HM126

Crusarius

Quote from: jpassardi on October 03, 2022, 12:28:08 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 23, 2016, 05:26:20 PM
Kbeitz,
Do they require a motor controller or can they be wired directly to a momentary "double" rocker switch?
they do not need a controller but depending on how fast your head moves you may want one. I have one on my mill and it moves perfect to get the exact line on my scale every time.

VB-Milling

Quote from: VB-Milling on October 04, 2022, 11:12:28 AM
It's pricey for sure....doesn't mean I don't want it.

Looking at the manual, it sure seems to me the "only for hm130 and 130max" warning is because they're the models that have onboard power from the factory.

Meaning it looks like it would bolt right up to the hm126 mechanically and just need 12v power.

Thoughts?
After talking with Woodland Mills this afternoon, there are additional considerations to be made regardless the difference in travel heights of the 126vs130 mill heads. Makes sense.
HM126

fluidpowerpro

I used an ATV winch with a PWM motor controller on mine and it works OK. The only thing not so great is that if you have the speed adjusted too slow, it does not have enough power to raise. Not a big deal because I usually want to raise fast anyway. You then turn the speed down when lowering to your mark on the scale. The winch has its own brake, so it holds its position.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!