iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut logs

Started by ramaral, April 16, 2013, 08:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramaral

I got these logs the other day from a family that wanted to end the clean up these trees make with their nuts. I've since painted the ends to minimize cracking. I don't have specific plans on what to do with wood, but would like to saw it to start the drying process. Any idea on how I should saw the logs? Plain saw, quarter saw? What dimensions? With or without live edge? I was thinking of selling the wood, if I don't come up with project ideas.

Note from Admin:  Photos must be in Forestry Forum Photo Gallery.
-Rich

Tree Feller

I can't open the pic but I flat-saw Walnut. There isn't much to gain by QSing it. A combination of 4/4 and 8/4 should be right for selling. I wouldn't leave a live edge unless the planks are really wide...wide enough for a bench or table top. I'm not a big fan of NE slab furniture so my opinion there is probably biased.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dgdrls

3 posts still warrants a hearty welcome to the FF.

I too was unable to open the pics :(
I would hold the log(s) make sure your ends are sealed tight and keep them off the ground
until you have a buyer or you decide on a project. 
Murphys law, what ever you do in anticipation
of a buyer will be wrong

Best DGDrls

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Here is a link to some Forum pic posting help.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

:) Welcome to the Forestry Forum  8) with no customer you are the customer so handling and drying comes to mind and only you know what works best for you. I lean toward Tree Feller's answer.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!