iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a solar klin

Started by Moulder, April 21, 2003, 05:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moulder

Any of y'all ever built a solar kiln? Have plans for one and would like to do it, but what I'm running into is the plans call for pressure tx wood,and well since I have a mill and can saw my own wood I would much rather do that. Anyone see any problems? and any advise you could send my would be appreciated.The really big problem is convincing sweetie that I really do need to build one more building. Tks Randy
RANDY

Fla._Deadheader

We used some kind of brown stuff? ::) to treat the plywood in our pontoon boat. Just sprayed it on and it soaked right in.
  Where'd ya get the plans?? I need a kiln !! I have some ideas for the inner lining, to help offset costs, maybe??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Hey Deadheader when I got my mill it came with very detailed plans to build a kiln. The plans tell you how much wood ya gotta cut and everything so if ya want a copy sent me your address or fax#. Might be seeing my brother on Wed and if I do I will scan the plans and e-mail them to you.

Steve

Tim

You may want to think about using Cedar or Hemlock fo ryour kiln structure as oppose to that PT stuff. If you use cedar and want it to last to any degree, use material that has a minimum of sapwood in it.

Even if you don't use a rot resistant or treated species, your kiln would have paid itself off several times by the time the structure rots away.

Built a dog house today, the wife asked why it was so big when the dog is only of a medium size. I told her that extra space was for me when necessary. I'm thinking about an air conditioner for those times when I build somethng on the sly like you may have to do.

lmao
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

sawwood

I have a set of plans for a 1000bf kiln that i got from the
 Wood Magazine. I don't know if they still have it any more.
 Also if you go to the woodweb they have a lot of info on
 building a solar kiln. Larry Copas has one and he has been
 drying my wood and it does a good job. As far as i can all
 you need the pt wood is for the floor, the rest can be made
 will lumber you cut. I have two fans out of a furnace that i
 am going to use. I hope to make our kiln this summer.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Jason_WI

On WW there is a knoledge base for solar kiln design. I know it's on the other website but the information is still useful.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Solar_Kiln_Designs_1.html

The design is pretty simple and as long as you follow a few basic guidelines you should get decent quality lumber out of one.

I am saving my pennies for a DH kiln since in WI there is really only 4 or 5 months of quality drying time especially since I am only 3 miles from lake Michigan - that DanG east wind......  In FL It should fair better though.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Rick Schmalzried

I built a solar kiln from a cross between the Wood Magazine plans and Gene Wengert's plans.  I used redwood for the floor joists (salvaged from a deck) and then used standard 2x4s for the walls.  I don't expect it to last forever, but it only cost about $300 for everything so it comes close to paying for itself in a single load.

My biggest problem is I thought that if small vents are good, larger ones would be better.  ??? Unfortunatly, I am letting too much heat out and it is taking quite a long time to dry the wood.  :(  I need to make some time to install some type of baffle to close them off.
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Thank You Sponsors!