iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can a frame be left exposed for part of the winter?

Started by bogart_bogesley, November 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogart_bogesley

Hello,

I am in the middle of building a timber frame house right now (actually, post & beam with metal connectors and through bolts) and I am working on it whenever I am not at my day job (in other words, weekends and nights).  However, at the pace things are going, it doesn't seem like I'll have my walls completely up and insulated until the end of December (however, the metal roof will be put on within the next week or so and it is already insulated).  I am a newbie and I like to work on things slowly.

My question is:  Since my walls won't be insulated until the end of December, could the cold weather cause any issues? (e.g. damage to the frame?)  I am wrapping the frame with T&G, 4.5" of polyiso (with tarps that will roll up and down during construction to protect it), a rainscreen and water barrier, and then ship-lap wood siding.  This will all take me some time.  I am in upstate New York and the 8x8 frame was cut around the time of Dec 2014 / Jan 2015.  The frame has been up for several months and was stickered before that.

Thanks

Jim_Rogers

If you've got all that going on the frame you should be ok. At least the roof is on and if any sunlight get to the frame it may gray a bit.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Quote from: bogart_bogesley on November 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
Hello,

I am in the middle of building a timber frame house right now (actually, post & beam with metal connectors and through bolts) and I am working on it whenever I am not at my day job (in other words, weekends and nights).  However, at the pace things are going, it doesn't seem like I'll have my walls completely up and insulated until the end of December (however, the metal roof will be put on within the next week or so and it is already insulated).  I am a newbie and I like to work on things slowly.

My question is:  Since my walls won't be insulated until the end of December, could the cold weather cause any issues? (e.g. damage to the frame?)  I am wrapping the frame with T&G, 4.5" of polyiso (with tarps that will roll up and down during construction to protect it), a rainscreen and water barrier, and then ship-lap wood siding.  This will all take me some time.  I am in upstate New York and the 8x8 frame was cut around the time of Dec 2014 / Jan 2015.  The frame has been up for several months and was stickered before that.

Thanks

Where abouts in NY?
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

fishfighter

I had my frame exposed about 4 months. Everything is gray. I will be sanding it some, but I'm looking at burning the beams/frame, then sealing. That will have to wait till everything dries out. Everything was green green when I built it.

bogart_bogesley

Thank you for the responses.  This was very helpful.  The frame is already pretty grayed but I'm not really concerned about that kind of appearance.

I should have also note that the frame was built on an alaskan slab concrete foundation (20" thick edges tapered toward the center).  Last year I covered it up with bales of hay and a tarp over the winter and it did fine.  Again, assuming it won't be buttoned in until the end of December, is there a risk of the slab cracking with the cold?  I suppose I could cover it with hay bales again and lay down some temporary OSB overtop of it.

jimdad07

Quote from: bogart_bogesley on November 08, 2015, 12:57:48 PM

I should have also note that the frame was built on an alaskan slab concrete foundation (20" thick edges tapered toward the center).  Last year I covered it up with bales of hay and a tarp over the winter and it did fine.  Again, assuming it won't be buttoned in until the end of December, is there a risk of the slab cracking with the cold?  I suppose I could cover it with hay bales again and lay down some temporary OSB overtop of it.

I've seen a few left open over a couple of winters up here with no issues.  I'll be working on my build all winter with it open.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

shinnlinger

My white pine frame sat out for almost 2 years with no roof and it turned a nice grey color that really looks great now.  I tell people I planned it that way....

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brad_bb

If you want to preserve the color, wrap any part of the frame that will see sun.  I've been using titanium synthetic roof paper for more than just the roof.  I've used it to cover timber stacks, as covering for a temporary tent, and you could use left over to cover timbers.  something that will protect it from sun.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!