iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got some new chains today!

Started by Maine logger88, January 28, 2014, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

I finally broke down and bought a new set of chains for the 540 and I put them on today man I should have done it awhile ago it really does good now that it has four good chains on it 8)
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

coxy

what did you give for them  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) just had to say it  :) :) :) :) :)

redprospector

Quote from: coxy on January 28, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
what did you give for them  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) just had to say it  :) :) :) :) :)

Nunya!  :D :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Maine logger88

I got trygg I tried to get babecs because the set I have up front has worked really well and there made in the USA here in Maine actually but I had my local dealer call to order a set and they said 4 to 5 weeks and by then winter would be about over so I called Randy up to Harrolds Logging and he had the tryggs right in stock so I went right up and got them they seem to be very nice chains they have awesome traction! Plus Harrolds having them in stock was a big +!  They were just about 2000$ tax and all which isn't a bad price for 5/8 for 23.1x26

clww

Quote from: coxy on January 28, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
A buck four sixty! (think I read that yesterday). ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

PaYoungBuck

Ring or ice? I got a set of the tight ring 23.1 s last Monday. Almost a 2 hr drive one way to get them. Same story Babec were back ordered. Paid close to 2500 for mine tho...

Maine logger88

They are ice chains. Did you end up getting the babecs or go with another brand?

PaYoungBuck

I got the trygg 3/4 tight ring. Hope to have them on by the weekend. My 540 is in the shop for another day or two. What type of jack do you use?

Maine logger88

I use the screw type it works great it is easy'er to get the inside with than the jack type and it gets them very tight! I hope you are as happy with your new chains as I am with mine and I'm sure you will be! The tight rings must ride about as good as ice chains?

PaYoungBuck

Yeah they are close. I use to run ice on the back ring on the front. We don't really get much time with the ground froze in until this year I guess so the rings seem to work better around here I think. The ice seem to load up with mud and not clean as well. Maybe I had them to tight I dunno or clay ground????

Maine logger88

Yeh they don't work as well on clay ground unless its dry or froze

BargeMonkey

I ordered 2 sets of chain 10 days ago, was dropped today. Babec ring and ice chain from TCR.com, sales guy was real good to deal with.

coxy

was told the new ring chains are pretty good was going to try a new pair this summer I think the rings are better in soft ground but in the past on frozen ground they really stink  :D would like to see a video of them on a skidder on frozen ground  to see how they are  good luck with the chains

PaYoungBuck

I'll try and get on we are froze up pretty good right now. My tires up front are only 15-20% maybe. So the rings should be great. The trygg a look great very heavy but we will see. Now when I worked in the woods the last time I ran my chains as tight as possible now I'm hearing not to run them that tight??? What about you guys. How are you running them??

coxy

mine are so loose you can all most pull them off with out taking the cleves out I mostly don't run them that loose but its too cold to tighten them ;D  I run them with a little slack in the summer to clean them out 

Maine logger88

I usually get them as tight as posible then run them till there about to fall off then get them as tight as possible again but that's just cause I'm a procrastinater about stuff like that

Woodboogah

I run em tight then they loosen, when I have some time I tighten them.  I am not messing with them in the cold now.  I'll wait for a warmer day. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on January 29, 2014, 06:27:48 AM
was told the new ring chains are pretty good was going to try a new pair this summer I think the rings are better in soft ground but in the past on frozen ground they really stink  :D would like to see a video of them on a skidder on frozen ground  to see how they are  good luck with the chains

Ive got a brand new set of ice trygg in the box for my forwarder, almost regret buying them. Ice trygg is ok for hard packed ground but not worth much in any heavy mud. Also, trygg ice is a pain to keep tight. My franklin has it all around and they last quite a while but the best combo around here is ring on the front ice on back.

Thank You Sponsors!