iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing at David's

Started by Tom, September 21, 2003, 10:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I've sawed for Davids father since the early 90's and now for David.  He started having me out about '96 and his new house was a little square brick building.  It has since doubled in size, he's fenced a 10 acre horse pasture, built a workshop, built a horse barn, built a swimming pool and a pretty picket fence around it of 6/4 X 8's and started his own business.  Since I was there last, about a year ago he's had another child.  He said "Whoops".

His wife makes some of the best vegetable soup.  She puts ham and bones and sausage and all kinds of stuff in it.   I lose track of what I'm eating but it sure is good.

I knew we were in trouble when we
found this chain hanging out of one
of the logs.  We got it out and had
no more trouble with that log.

Getting out the detector to check the
next log for nails. It's a good thing too.

We found them.  
Here David shows off the first one.  
We found nails and screws from one end
of the tree to the other and all the way
around it.   Someone had fastened a conduit
up the tree to hang a light and Lord only knows
what else.  Have you ever noticed that they
won't use one nail if six will do.

This tree full of nails is history.    To the burn pile!

We cut 1776 Board feet of some of prettiest, tight grain Yellow pine you could ever want.  (Do those numbers sound familiar to you?) :D  He had found them being taken down from a residence in Fernandina while he was coming back from a job.  His ex-brother-in-law owns a crane company. That's handy, isn't it?  The owner of the property gave him the trees and the tree surgeon took them down in 16 foot lengths. David stood back at the road and sighted across a stick to tell the climber when to cut.  Then they lifted the logs from the backyard to the street, over the house, with the crane and loaded them on his trailer.  He scavenges a lot of pretty wood this way.

Bibbyman

Looks like some beauty logs.  Most of our hardwood logs are short and crooked compared to those.  Some day I may get a chance to saw something like that.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

Those logs look a lot like the red pine here in northern Minnesota.  I've sawed a bunch that look just like that.  Most of them don't have hardware, but an occasional nail or bullet will be found.  ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!