iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Altitude adjustment?

Started by chep, May 06, 2012, 04:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chep

I just brought home a Lucas 618!! Horay. All set up and ready, but I had a nagging thought. My mill came from Park City, Utah located at 7000 feet above sea level. I live in Vermont at 1200 feet above sea level.
  Do I need to adjust my engine in any way?

thanks

ladylake

Engines will run leaner at low alitudes and might need to be richened up if they were adjusted right for higher alitudes.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

js2743

only one way to find out, and thats crank it and see how it does.

thecfarm

Congrats on the mill, What's the plan for it? Do you have a band saw mill too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chep

I am an arborist with a logging problem and come home with odd shape pieces of wood all the time. The mill came with the slabbing attatchment as well... I have big plans, but wanted to check with the pros before I fired it up and ruined something. I will try and keep yall posted on progress and any treasure I find.

Thanks for the replies

ladylake

As above I'd give it a try ,if it runs good run it.   Maybe pull the plugs and check too see that they aren't real white.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

If any adjustment might be called for it would only be a slight adjustment of the high speed carb jet to richen the mixture .

Pretty easy to tell .If it runs a tad better with partial choke it would need a slight adjustment .

Kansas

I know you can ruin a chainsaw by running it too lean. In our case, it was a plugged gas filter. I also know they won't honor the warranty if you do it. I don't know what a tach meter costs or even how to use one, but it might not hurt to dial it in to the correct RPM, for the safety of the engine. I honestly don't know if that change in altitude would be enough to matter or not.

Al_Smith

As a general rule you won't do damage to a 4 cycle engine running lean unless you  so for a long time .It just won't run very well .

A difference in altitude of 6000 feet through would have some effect on performance I should think .How much remains to be seen .

logboy

Who is the manufacturer of the 18 horse engine on your mill?  You should be able to find a manual for it using the serial number.  You could also take it to a local small engine shop.  They should have experience at tuning the engine up for your altitude.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

chep

Thanks for all the replies. It is a Briggs and Stratton engine. i think I will first fire it up and see how its running... then go from there. I have a good small engine mechanic to contact as well if it is rough.

Thank You Sponsors!