iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mills/Log Buyers in NY

Started by Theron211, March 10, 2015, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theron211

Hey All,

I am new to the forum.  I am looking to sell some of my own timber off my land to get some capital to to purchase a decent mill and other wood working products.  I am looking to for a mill or log buyer in the Hudson Valley area of NY.  I have my own means to load and transport.  I would just like to do the selective cutting on my property and take a few logs at a time.  Anyone know of some local mills that purchase logs and any advice you can give would be great.  Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Pete and Jesse

These two sources might help.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/primary.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/secondary.pdf

The second one is a little dated but it should still give useful information.

thecfarm

Theron211,welcome to the forum. Ever cut for grade? What's you using to get the wood out with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

The "Hudson valley" covers quite an area, and if you could nail it a little closer determines a lot of who you may sell too. There are 3 close to me who buy, plus Bailie's but you've also got to figure what your cutting. Buyers are all a little different and all 3 that I deal with have certain criteria depending on grade and species. How many bdft and what species and what time of the yr do you plan on cutting ?

Justify008

^^ like he said if you can narrow it down a little more there's three mills/buyers by me and they all have different markets so depending what your cutting it makes a difference who you bring it to.

BargeMonkey

If you nail it down and want a # of someone i use and trust i would be more than happy to help you out. Unfortunately too many landowners believe they have HUGE $$$ in something that isnt there. Im on a small woodlot right now, marked by a forester who is known for calculating stumpage #'s that dont add up. The landowner will be riding to the mill with me, hard to explain to someone that their "beautiful oak"s are really #3-#4 sawlogs that are bringing 325mbft delivered. I would find someone you trust, even if the money isnt so hot on the high dollar stuff, we ship alot of mixed loads and it averages out, but your not talking volume so getting burned can happen quick.

Theron211

I am in the Orange County area. I am under no illusion that I have trees made of cash.  I would just like to get a little extra cash.  I will have equipment to get the logs out and loaded.  I just want to do it myself so I can be more selective and if I tear up my fields or driveway it is on me. I have a unique driveway that limits the size of equipment that I can fir in and out.  Thanks so much for all the help.  I would like to go to the mills and see exactly what they are looking for. Mostly I think what I have is white oak.

Southside

Theron211,

Welcome to the Forum.  Eric is being straight up with you and knows what he is talking about.  I was actually going to recommend you reach out to him but he beat me to it.  His guidance would be worth your time.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

skibum_12

I'm also looking for log buyers in the Hudson Valley. I work mostly in Dutchess County. B and B, and Tri-state are known to me. I'm seeking any other avenues. At the moment I have a load of ash, mixed veneer and sawlogs.

Mountaynman

pm me used to deal with a great outfit in your area will steer you right for sure
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Glenn1

Quote from: Southside logger on March 11, 2015, 04:14:35 PM
Theron211,

Welcome to the Forum.  Eric is being straight up with you and knows what he is talking about.  I was actually going to recommend you reach out to him but he beat me to it.  His guidance would be worth your time.

Southside,
Nice to see you back.  Hopefully you are feeling better.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Thank You Sponsors!