iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw on Lucas Rails

Started by treeworkx, September 12, 2014, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeworkx

I'm milling d.fir today on the Lucas into 8 1/2 x8 1/2 x 12' then moving them to the lt-10 and sawing out nice boards.
Maybe the dehydration started setting in or i was out of songs  that I started to think about the possibility of a bandsaw that sat on the rails of the Lucas.
I'm often milling and get down to an area where I think about how nice it would be to do some slabs,then I think of the time involved in changing to the slabbing attachment and keep going.
I could use the swing mill from one end to get dimensional lumber and have a bandsaw from the other that could do slabs.
Maybe all I need to do is make a cradle for the slabbing attachment and motorise it then have the box set.

Ianab

I don't see any real reason it couldn't work. I wonder about side forces causing the rails to wobble more then the circle blade does, but with a relatively small band saw it may not be an issue?

Height adjust would be more of a pain because you have to do it after every cut, and the Lucas needs to be wound at both ends? With the swing blade you usually take multiple boards off before you need to adjust height.

But these are just technical / operational issues, not things where you need to defy the laws of physics.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logboy

Why not just get a dedicated slabber?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Nomad

Quote from: logboy on September 12, 2014, 02:26:13 AM
Why not just get a dedicated slabber?

Probably be cheaper than trying to invent a new type of mill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

treeworkx

Yeah I should just get the slabber but 12k is out of the budget at present, no worries we'll just keep going here.
I thought with all the interesting tinkerers out there I may have got a photo or two.

Joe Hillmann

It would be pretty easy to build and if you can scrounge parts you could probably make it for under $200.  Building a band saw is very easy and can be done in a weekend.  What took me the most time was building the carriage so it can raise and lower and the track to ride on.  Since your rails already have the up and down built in your carriage can be built right into the saw head.

You could build a bandsaw that would fit on your rails with as little as a trailer axle, an engine, two trailer wheels, 12 feet of square tubing to build the frame out of and 3 or 4 caster wheels.

mikeb1079

QuoteBuilding a band saw is very easy and can be done in a weekend.

either youre a very skilled fabber or you have a very "rustic" bandmill   ;)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: mikeb1079 on September 12, 2014, 04:08:28 PM
QuoteBuilding a band saw is very easy and can be done in a weekend.

either youre a very skilled fabber or you have a very "rustic" bandmill   ;)

Rustic would be my description but I had head of my sawmill running with about 12 hours of work over a weekend.  I actually used just the head as a resaw several times before I built the rest of the mill.  The rest of the mill; the carriage and bed took another month to build.

logboy

QuoteYeah I should just get the slabber but 12k is out of the budget at present, no worries we'll just keep going here.

Might want to double check the prices. If you already have a Lucas Mill you dont need to buy a whole new frame, just the powerhead. I think you can get the massive deepthroat slabber (DSM-23) for around $9k and that will cut over 6' wide. The smaller one that cuts 60" (DSM-18) is cheaper and will tackle the majority of your needs (and is more forgiving to use). For what youre doing, I would just get the slabbing attachment. Cut 10" thick slabs out of the logs, then saw them into lumber on your WM. I slab quite a few logs that way for guys who dont want to put a 4,000 pound log on their WM.

treeworkx

Left Coast Supplies has taken over from Baileys with the Lucas,I just went off their price online.
Logboy what do you use to lube your bar?

logboy

The prices they have on Left Coast are for the entire mill, not the powerhead alone. Lucas tells you to use motor oil because bar oil is too thick. A quart should last you all day.

treeworkx

Thank you for pointing that out,I just presumed it was an addition not the entire thing.

Okrafarmer

While the Lucas, Peterson, and other swingmills are high technology, I personally suspect we have not yet reached anything like the full potential for this type of sawmill. I can't help thinking there is a lot of creative invention yet to improve what is already a great concept.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

logboy

I bought my slabber as just the machine since I already had the mill. Honestly though, a slabbing attachment would treat you well if you have the equipment to move the slabs. I browsed all of craigslist today and was surprised at the number of wanted ads looking for people to slab big logs.

logboy

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 13, 2014, 01:04:46 AM
While the Lucas, Peterson, and other swingmills are high technology, I personally suspect we have not yet reached anything like the full potential for this type of sawmill. I can't help thinking there is a lot of creative invention yet to improve what is already a great concept.

Like a Mahoe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMhofI2QtA

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

backwoods sawyer

That they are.
I ran this home built version of a Mighty Might for some time. It can handle an 8' log 40' long that take two 966 to bring up from the log yard and position for milling. Its main perpose was milling beams up to 12x18 for Timber frame homes and pulling CVG out of ring shake logs. 

But like the other swing blade mills it can only pull one slab per log and that takes flipping the log.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 13, 2014, 01:04:46 AM

Take a look at the auto warrier mill.

The Auto mill is based on our standard small engine Warrior and may be upgraded later on. 3 simple upgrades converts the manual mill into a very productive Semi-automatic sawmill.

These 3 upgrades are…

1)      Single end sideways sizing. We provide two steel brackets and an aluminium (light weight) shaft which links both ends for easy 1-man/1-end actuation. This upgrade is available on all Warrior mills including the chainsaw option.

2)      Auto-flip blade swing. We provide the simple mechanical components to be able to upgrade your swing mechanism to trigger automatically against an adjustable stop which is locatable along the length of the beam. You still have to flip it at the operators end but as you push or feed the unit along the rail it will flip automatically at the other end. This upgrade is available on all small engine Warrior models. Not available on the Chainsaw mills.

3)      Remote power feed. We provide a bolt on arrangement which takes power from your main engine and transfers it into a very low maintenance multidirectional speed variable transmission. This transmission does not require regular maintenance and is a tried and proven solution. This along with our innovative remote control lever makes the mill incredibly simple with little to go wrong. This upgrade is only available with the small engine Warrior.

Trailer unit. A small trailer is also now available for all Warrior mill. This saves time on assembly/disassembly. Simply remove the base skids via 4 pins.

Put these upgrades together you have one super simple, low cost, low maintenance, ultra-portable, versatile and safer automated swing-blade sawmill. The Auto will come complete with 2 blades and 18hp Briggs V-twin engine.

Also the Gladiator is an impresive mill.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Seaman on September 13, 2014, 12:59:20 PM
Truly impressive Backwoods

X2. I'd love to see all these things in action.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

ohwc

I have too been bouncing this around for about a year or so. I do have a slabbing attachment but a bandsaw attachment would be good for some jobs. I was meaning to draw up some designs but as of yet have not had time. My idea was using an existing Lucas saw carriage modified with a raised engine carriage and the two band wheels riding in the old carriage area. I think it would not be too hard once you figure out the measurements to line everything up for the overhead engine carriage to be welded onto the Lucas carriage.

logboy

I would not want to have to diagnose a problem with the electronics on one of those automated mills. What a nightmare.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: logboy on September 14, 2014, 01:45:40 PM
I would not want to have to diagnose a problem with the electronics on one of those automated mills. What a nightmare.

True, but that would be true of most any automated sawmill, not just an automated swingmill. That may be what you meant. I agree, when it comes to electronics, the fewer the better. Unless you can pay an electrical engineer to hang around all the time for when things go wrong. Or unless you happen to be one yourself, even better.

Seems like most of the reputable sawmill brands are pretty good with their electronics, and they at least last a few years without too much trouble. But I think it probably would be a nightmare trying to keep a 20-year-old automated mill going. I'm glad the LT40HD I've been using is rather analogue in nature.  ;D

Okrafarmer

Also, I did spend a little time looking at Turbosawmill's website http://turbosawmill.com/ and it was rather neat. Looks like a well-built machine, from the Peterson family, but evidently its own company. The single rail design looks like it would make operation a lot easier. Nice looking sawmills.

logboy

I heard of a guy down under who tied his money up in one of those, then something went haywire with the electronics and there it sat. Its not exactly the type of thing you can take to the auto repair or small engine shop to diagnose.  When it comes to sawing, I'll stick to my manual swing mill and basic mechanical problems.

Thank You Sponsors!