iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Do You Start Your Saw?

Started by lxskllr, August 25, 2019, 09:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I've noticed a lot of people pull the saw over fairly vigorously. Pull-pull-pull-pull-vroom. I've always done more deliberately. Pull hard, gently let the cord retract back in. pull hard again, repeat til start. My thinking is deliberate starting creates less wear, especially on the start mechanism, where you can be sure the pieces are fully engaged before yanking the cord. How do you do it?

thecfarm

Pull,pull,pull.I never had a problem with any of my saws,that would of been a Stihl,couple Huskys and a Efco. Start my Echo trimmer same way. Well I did wear the starter out on the Echo trimmer. After 25 years. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

I can't say I've had issues either. Maybe some toys, and things like that as a kid, and I guess it stuck with me. Also, I used to have to pull start the lawn tractor growing up, and slowness was enforced since you had to hand wind the cord after every attempt. Just got used to doing it slow  :^D

Southside

I push the little "ON" button and when it turns green and beeps I pull the trigger.  :D

Now on the 372's I will push the decomp in, pull the choke and slowly pull the cord out two, maybe three times, basically just lugging it over to wet the cylinder. Then give it one strong pull and it starts right up or worst case rumbles and pops out the decomp. If that happens push in the choke and pull once more, she will be running. Makes it a lot easier on me and the recoil this way. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: Southside on August 25, 2019, 11:22:24 PMNow on the 372's I will push the decomp in, pull the choke and slowly pull the cord out two, maybe three times, basically just lugging it over to wet the cylinder. Then give it one strong pull and it starts right up
Did this today with my 362 and it was the easiest start that I have ever done.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Learned that trick starting snowmobiles at -20F.  Try anything else and you fall flat on your keister... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

I didn't think of it today, but next time I start a saw, I'll give it a try. Ran my 661 for the first time today. I tried starting it without the decomp, cause I prefer not using it if possible, but I have it half a pull, said "screw that", and pushed the button. Big difference!

DelawhereJoe

That trick also works well on 4 cycle engines too, the log splitter I have will try to pull your arm off due to back fires if you don't crank it over a few times with it turned off.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

JohnW

Interesting, Southside.  I'll have to try that.

thecfarm

I will have to give that a try too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Hmmm, learn something new all the time, I also will try that method.
My Echo takes 3 to 5 vigorous pulls whether cold or hot.
I shut off by choking it as the switch is screwed up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

I've said before that saws are like women. They are all sisters but they aren't identical twins .Most of the Stihls choke them until they fire ,then kick  the choke off ,they fire and run .
One stubborn Husqvarna 2100 ,choke only once no matter how long it has sat or else it will flood .It has an over sized carb that I think has been "doctored " a bit .It also has a D-handle --high compression small starter drum .PNW old school hot rod .All I can say about that is those Swedish Vikings must be a tough bunch .Nobody should have ever built a saw with that much compression without a decomp valve .

luap

Every carburtrated engine I have has its own start sequence. I have two engines that require no choke at all. Turn on the gas and turn them over and bang, they are running, regardless of temp. Wish they were all like that.

Gearbox

To start my 394 I have to roll the piston to TDC then drop start it . Kind of like kick starting an old Harley .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

Quote from: Southside on August 25, 2019, 11:22:24 PM
I push the little "ON" button and when it turns green and beeps I pull the trigger.  :D

Now on the 372's I will push the decomp in, pull the choke and slowly pull the cord out two, maybe three times, basically just lugging it over to wet the cylinder. Then give it one strong pull and it starts right up or worst case rumbles and pops out the decomp. If that happens push in the choke and pull once more, she will be running. Makes it a lot easier on me and the recoil this way.
Aup,Just as Magicman said. I pulled my 372 over slowly 3 times,and than pulled it quick. Fired and pushed the choke in and 2 more pulls I was going. Don't do this if it's the chainsaw is warm. Flooded it. Worked great!!!

Thank You Sponsors!