iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No hot start

Started by Beweller, September 06, 2004, 09:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beweller

I have a Stihl 009 that will not start when hot.  It has been to the shop twice and returned "fixed".  I don't think the shop ever sees the problem.  It occurs only when the saw is hot and has been shut off for more than a few minutes.  Then may be over an hour before it will again start.  Any one encountered this problem?  Thanks
Beweller

Dean Hylton

What you have is most likely a coil that needs to be replaced. You have a break in the internal wire of the coil. As the coil heats up the gap is widened and you loose spark.

Beweller

Dosen't seem likely.  If the saw is shut down for only a minute it hot restarts OK.  But if for several minutes, then no restart intil it cools.

I have checked and there is a spark during the refractory period.  Maybe weak, I don't know what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Beweller

Tom

I don't have an answer, but, my Husky 61 will do that every once in a while.  I have always attributed it to a vapor lock.  After about 20 minutes of sitting, it will crank right up.

The only other cranking problem I have had, I found, was a too long fuel line. I had the line replaced along with some other maintenance and found, after turning the air blue a few times, that the filter couldn't "freely move" in the tank.  I shortened it a smidgeon and everything was hunky-dory. ;D :)

Kevin

Does your saw tend to stall out at idle but operate normal at high speed?
You should have a bright blue spark.

Beweller

Runs fine at idle and full throttle.

I would not call the spark I saw hot and blue.  But of course I was looking at it in full daylight.
Beweller

Beweller

I was pretty sure the trouble had to be some sort of vapor lock.  Only thing I could come up with that seemed to fit all the symptoms.

But because it was easy, I tried replacing the spark plug.  Amazing!  The saw starts fine, hot or cold, including hot after a short rest.

I can't find anything wrong with the old plug.  Huh.

Thanks all.
Beweller

Minnesota_boy

I worked in a saw shop for a while and that problem with not starting hot was a tough one for the shop man to diagnose.  I had no where to test the saw long enough to get it real hot.  I did find that replacing the plug was a good place to start though.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

Beweller, was the plug a Champion? I find them very inconsistent. Bosch and NGK are much more reliable
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Beweller

The troublesome plug was an Autolite.  I replaced it with a Champion, the only replacement I could find in three stops.

I was trying for the Bosch, but none of the three carried them.

Beweller

SwampDonkey

The Stihl shop recommends Bosch plugs for their FS450 thinning saw I know.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

james

one verry good way to test for spark is to gold the bare plug wire in your hand and crank the saw ;D ;D

Ianab

Quoteone verry good way to test for spark is to gold the bare plug wire in your hand and crank the saw ;D ;D

I guess that depends on your defination of GOOD  :D
Mine would be to get someone ELSE to hold the plug and crank the saw :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

james

aw, comon lanab -what no sense of adventure? ;D ;D :o :o
james

Timber_Framer

I fouled my plugs on my Harley once in Podunk North Dakota and all I could find that would fit were champions. I didn't have to replace those plugs for nearly a year, which is unheard of on an old Hog.
If you find a good champion plug they're as good as any on the market, the problem is as sawguy said finding a good one is sometimes a difficult task.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Thank You Sponsors!