iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a new hudson

Started by OneEyedJackIndy, July 02, 2012, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneEyedJackIndy

I thought I would follow up my privous post to let you know I went ahead and bought a hudson hfe21.  Man am I glad I did.  It is perfect for my farm.  It squares black locust great. 3000 bucks with chain saw debarker,timber jack, and enough track to cut 13ft.  The saw guides are as good as any of my metal working saws and the saw holds demintion better than I could have hoped.  The hudson blades have lasted longer than advertised (I have 9+hrs on black locust and can still cut true).  I have cut every cut they show in there ads and it was just as easy as they showed on the vids.  So far I have cut locust,walnut,pond pine, and mapel.  I hope to try some osage soon.  Just thought you all would like to know about a low priced good little saw.  oh and thanks for the feedback on my first post.  It let me know what parts of the saw to look more closely at.

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new mill, I'm sure you will find lots of projects for it.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

mad murdock

congrats to your new family "member"!  Milling your own wood is about as good as it gets!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

grweldon

As long as it does what you intend for it to do and makes you happy, that's what matters most!  Have a great time sawing my friend!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

OneEyedJackIndy

Thanks guys I think im in Love.  The wife is going to have to learn to share.

bandmiller2

Jack,any mill is what you make it,sharp well set bands adjusted right and your crusing the interstate.What are you planning to do about sharpening your bands.? Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

OneEyedJackIndy

Thanks Frank.  I figured I would be difficult and try to file them.  I have always been a bit of a smith. After I learn how I will probably try to do business with WM since they are close to home and I really dont have time.

thecfarm

You are hooked and than some.  :D  It only gets better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new mill!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Indiana Robinson

Interesting... I often check out where guys live that live fairly near me (It's OK, I never stalk  :D).
According to the map on your profile page you live quite near where my wife of 49 years so far lived. Her folks lived on Lead-line Road on the Caldwell farm. Her maiden name was Briar.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

OneEyedJackIndy

The farm is on wagner rd (behind the old land fill) but I live in Bentonville.  One of my best friends from school is Kevin Briar.  He was also my next door neighbor, a short 2.5 miles away.

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: OneEyedJackIndy on July 02, 2012, 11:46:42 PM
The farm is on wagner rd (behind the old land fill) but I live in Bentonville.  One of my best friends from school is Kevin Briar.  He was also my next door neighbor, a short 2.5 miles away.

Pretty sure that Kevin is Dean Briar's son. Dean is my wife Diana's first cousin. Diana's dad Albert and his brother Bill stayed close as adults. Used to do a lot of family stuff together. All are gone now. Back when I was still baling and selling hay I used to see Dean often at the Knightstown sale barn. Don't see him often these days. We will probably be in Bentonville for the Bentonville school reunion in a few weeks.

Apologies to everybody else for a trip into an old home moment.  :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

bandmiller2

Jack,you'll probibly find the teeth are a little too hard to file,and its tough to hold them tite enough for a good pass with the file.Many folks have used dremel toos with a stone with some luck. Frank C.

OneEyedJackIndy

Thanks I think I am about to try that.  For the amount of work I am getting done on one blade I should have plenty of time to figure it out.  Keeping the track square is my big problem now.  I got in to big of a hurry setting up.  I just got some long 8 in channel iron to mount the track to.  Thanks for all the help it is going better every time I fire it up.

bandmiller2

Jack,a fella can cut a big pile of boards with a new band,enough to make it practicle to consider it disposible.You can even sharpen bands on a bench grinder,I did for quite a wile til I got my Cats Claw sharpener.What your planning to do with woodmizer will work too,send them off to resharp with mayby a touchup in between.Sharpening equip. is very handy but theirs a cutoff point of how many bands you sharpen,if you do cutting commercially it will usally pay unless you don't have the time.[like MM] Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!